Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2 SKUs for Next Gen Launch Consoles?

Which SKU would you buy?

2TB Disc Drive SKU $499 14 46.67%
 
1TB NO Disc drive SKU $399 9 30.00%
 
Neither 7 23.33%
 
Total:30
RolStoppable said:
zorg1000 said:
Wouldnt it make more sense for the system without the disk drive to have more storage?

Storage is moot when all games have mandatory installs.

The bigger questions are why would retailers stock a console without a disc drive and why would it happen at such a low price.

Very good question. Guess we will find out how that goes when the disc driveless XB1 comes along next year.

Then again not having discs hasn't stopped PC hardware from selling. And brick and mortar retailers can always do shady shit like just having more of the disc drive sku in stock.

I doubt online retailers will have problem with it though. Who knows, retailers may even start purchasing game  download codes and selling those to consumers.

zorg1000 said:
RolStoppable said:

Storage is moot when all games have mandatory installs.

The bigger questions are why would retailers stock a console without a disc drive and why would it happen at such a low price.

Do mandatory installs require the full download amount? I thought it was like some Switch games where some is on the cart and the rest is downloaded.

Nope. Mandatory installs. They just let you start playing the game from the disc while its stealth installing the entire disc to the console.

The disc drives in the consoles really do absolutely nothing at all besides act as a conduit for the game to get onto the internal HDD.



Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Intrinsic said:

Thats supposed to be the "budget" system. The one coming in at $399.

Companies do that all the time. The budget system will have the lowest margins for them' they may make only like $5-$10 off each unit sold. Then the premium system, the one that has more bells and whistles, will give them much higher margins. Unknown to the consumer the benefit of having twice the storage and a disc drive won't cost them more than an extra $40 on top the base console. But they get to charge them $100 for it.

Having a stand alone external disc drive that costs like $79 or something lends to the "added value" impression of the more expensive SKU. 

I get that, to me it just seemed like an all digital sku would benefit more from have the larger storage space.

But I see where you are coming from, a disk drive-less sku should also be slightly smaller/lighter which could help on shipping/packaging costs, right?

Exactly. 

Also using an M.2 interface will allow them even sell branded "playstation/XB" SSDs with some sort of extended warranty BS and guaranteed "stable" performance so some hapless sheeps wanting to upgrade their internal storage would end up paying more for the branded SSD.



Intrinsic said:
bartkuz said:
Isn't 1TB too little for next gen?

Nope. 

it will be like it was at the start of this gen. 

We had 500GB hard drives with a usable space of around 400GB. Games averaged around 40GB before DLC and patches. People could pretty much install around 8 to 10 games before their console started returning errors.

Same situation with next gen just that everything is going to double with the added bonus of having more usable space out the gate. Games should average around 75GB before DLCs and patches and again gamers will be able to store around 10 games. 

This notion of the consoles needing to ship with as much as 2TB would be nice but its just that...... something nice and not a necessity.

I don't think so. Current gen game RDR2 is 100GB. My guess is next gen games will average at least at 120GB and launch consoles will have from 2TB to 4TB.



I don't think there will be. It's just simpler to have one, produce one and stock one.



LTD: PS4 - 125m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 51m

2020: PS4 - 9m, Switch - 22.5m, XBO - 2.5m, PS5 - 4.5m, XBX - 2.8m

Intrinsic said:
RolStoppable said:

Storage is moot when all games have mandatory installs.

The bigger questions are why would retailers stock a console without a disc drive and why would it happen at such a low price.

Very good question. Guess we will find out how that goes when the disc driveless XB1 comes along next year.

Then again not having discs hasn't stopped PC hardware from selling. And brick and mortar retailers can always do shady shit like just having more of the disc drive sku in stock.

I doubt online retailers will have problem with it though. Who knows, retailers may even start purchasing game  download codes and selling those to consumers.

We've already seen how these things go with the PSP Go. The reason why retailers accept the very low margins they make on selling consoles is that people buy games along with consoles. Since the PSP Go had no UMD drive, Sony couldn't get retailers to stock the console without a significant markup, so the PSP Go ended up as a more expensive SKU than other PSP models.

Another example is from earlier this year when we got the news that Austrian retailer Gameware stopped stocking Xbox consoles because of Gamepass. Retailers don't take it lightly when they get cut out of the profitable portion of console sales. An Xbox One without a disc drive is bound to get retailers up in arms.

PC hardware and video game consoles aren't the same thing. PC hardware itself has good profit margins, so it doesn't matter to retailers where consumers buy their games or if they buy any games at all.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network

I'd almost rather they didn't do something so simple as lacking a disc drive to distinguish between the two. If they made a "premium" model that sort of went all PS3 and put hardware based Bc and some extra media compatibility, I'd buy that for even 150 over a base 399 sku. I think the main goal they should be aiming for is to ensure that at least one sku at launch is comparable to their last launch.

What I think is interesting is that the premium sku concept isn't exactly exclusive to consoles, and it seems to repeatedly work. People bought enough 1K$ "premium" iPhones that the standard sku was superceded and thus the standard acceptable price raised across the board. Macbook vs the more feature packed Macbook pro, same thing. Microsoft surface vs surface pro, again few people even remember the lower price sku. I really wonder if Sony could do the same for PS5?



RolStoppable said:
Intrinsic said:

Very good question. Guess we will find out how that goes when the disc driveless XB1 comes along next year.

Then again not having discs hasn't stopped PC hardware from selling. And brick and mortar retailers can always do shady shit like just having more of the disc drive sku in stock.

I doubt online retailers will have problem with it though. Who knows, retailers may even start purchasing game  download codes and selling those to consumers.

We've already seen how these things go with the PSP Go. The reason why retailers accept the very low margins they make on selling consoles is that people buy games along with consoles. Since the PSP Go had no UMD drive, Sony couldn't get retailers to stock the console without a significant markup, so the PSP Go ended up as a more expensive SKU than other PSP models.

Another example is from earlier this year when we got the news that Austrian retailer Gameware stopped stocking Xbox consoles because of Gamepass. Retailers don't take it lightly when they get cut out of the profitable portion of console sales. An Xbox One without a disc drive is bound to get retailers up in arms.

PC hardware and video game consoles aren't the same thing. PC hardware itself has good profit margins, so it doesn't matter to retailers where consumers buy their games or if they buy any games at all.

This.

And having worked at retail before, selling digital only titles is a pain. I hate to stereotype, but a lot of customers really are uninformed. And they always want to return EVERYTHING no matter the condition. Digital returns aren't an option. Plus there'd be less of a reason for customers to come to store to buy digital if they can just get it off the PS/Xbox store at home. I think the only reason they do that now is because the vast majority of retail shoppers purchase physical titles.

Disc-less consoles won't work yet but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony in particular tried that right out of the gate. They've been letting the PS4 success get to their heads, ignoring that Nintendo was basically a non-competitor most of the cycle and Xbox shat themselves right at the reveal. And the last two console cycles began with either Sony or Microsoft overestimating their appeal based on them "winning" the previous cycle. 



StriderKiwi said:

This.

And having worked at retail before, selling digital only titles is a pain. I hate to stereotype, but a lot of customers really are uninformed. And they always want to return EVERYTHING no matter the condition. Digital returns aren't an option. Plus there'd be less of a reason for customers to come to store to buy digital if they can just get it off the PS/Xbox store at home. I think the only reason they do that now is because the vast majority of retail shoppers purchase physical titles.

Disc-less consoles won't work yet but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony in particular tried that right out of the gate. They've been letting the PS4 success get to their heads, ignoring that Nintendo was basically a non-competitor most of the cycle and Xbox shat themselves right at the reveal. And the last two console cycles began with either Sony or Microsoft overestimating their appeal based on them "winning" the previous cycle. 

How has sony been letting the PS4 success get to their head? 



The smart money for PS5 is to release in 2019 at a $399 price point (in NA) with a disc drive designed to read 100GB+ disks.  I still think they are going to lose to Switch regardless of what they do, but this can actually make them profitable unlike the PS3.

Dumb money is they go diskless, or overpower the system so that it's priced at $499+ or release after 2019.  Really dumb money is they get "creative" and bundle a VR set or some other expensive peripheral with every system.  They are going lose big if they do any of these things.  Same with Microsoft and their next system.



The_Liquid_Laser said:

The smart money for PS5 is to release in 2019 at a $399 price point (in NA) with a disc drive designed to read 100GB+ disks.  I still think they are going to lose to Switch regardless of what they do, but this can actually make them profitable unlike the PS3.

Dumb money is they go diskless, or overpower the system so that it's priced at $499+ or release after 2019.  Really dumb money is they get "creative" and bundle a VR set or some other expensive peripheral with every system.  They are going lose big if they do any of these things.  Same with Microsoft and their next system.

Ok that came out of nowhere......

Release in 2019? why?

Lose to switch? How?