By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much longer can the 3DS actually last?

Remember, the system itself, at the baseline 2ds model, is cheaper than an f-n classic system. The switch will NEVER drop to that price point before the next generation.
If they can make a foldable 2ds at 100 with Mario kart it will last for another couple years.

Around the Network

Wrong post*

Sorry! 

Last edited by tak13 - on 19 November 2018

Barkley said:
January - September 2017 3DS sold 3.6m units and 18.8m of physical software.
January - September 2018 3DS sold 2.35m units and 7m units of physical software.

It's dying, in 2019 it will probably sell 2.5m for the whole year.

2.5m sales in its ninth year would be bad? What...

Kerotan said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:
It's almost if they won't stop until it hits 80m, which will take a while at this point. If they can get the 2DSXL down to $99, I think it'll give it a momentum boost.

I can't see it ever passing the PSP at this point. So under 80m for me. 

Based on Nintendo's expectations, 3ds will be at 76.53m as of March 2019.

The chances of hitting it are fairly high ( if they miss it, won't be for more than 500k)..

2ds with Super Mario Maker for 79$ in NA for black Friday and 149$ New 2ds xl with MK7 everywhere.

Hence, don't be so sure about that "under 80m" .

Last edited by tak13 - on 23 November 2018

Azzanation said:
They are still quite expensive to buy. I wanted to upgrade to the New 3DS yet they sell for $200au which is half the cost of a brand new PS4/XB1.

Buy new 2ds xl, basically a quite smaller, thinner, lighter and with some good modifications/additions in design new 3ds xl for 50$ less.

Unless you like 3d effect...

Edit:Oops you're from Australia, so you were actually talking about new 2ds xl because new 3ds/xl cost more than 200$au. 

Around the Network

https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/9xjgv4/how_much_longer_can_the_3ds_actually_last/

Hmmm was wondering why this had telltale signs of copy pasted, I guess it makes sense to post pieces like this in more than one place to get the best use from it.

As for the question, I guess it could last forever if you mind it enough! It's made out of Nintendium after all.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

TheBraveGallade said:
Remember, the system itself, at the baseline 2ds model, is cheaper than an f-n classic system. The switch will NEVER drop to that price point before the next generation.
If they can make a foldable 2ds at 100 with Mario kart it will last for another couple years.

I was going to say that the Switch is technically a successor and thus the 2DS didn't drop to below 100 before the "next generation", but I looked it up and apparently the 2DS has been sold for less than $100 since 2015 in America (well ...99.99) ... damn o_O

tak13 said:
Azzanation said:
They are still quite expensive to buy. I wanted to upgrade to the New 3DS yet they sell for $200au which is half the cost of a brand new PS4/XB1.

Buy new 2ds xl, basically a quite smaller, thinner, lighter and with some good modifications/additions in design new 3ds xl for 50$ less.

Unless you like 3d effect...

Edit:Oops you're from Australia, so you were actually talking about new 2ds xl because new 3ds/xl cost more than 200$au. 

Yeah prices are insane here.  I might look into a New 2DS soon. As for New 3DS.. too much.

tak13 said:
Barkley said:
January - September 2017 3DS sold 3.6m units and 18.8m of physical software.
January - September 2018 3DS sold 2.35m units and 7m units of physical software.

It's dying, in 2019 it will probably sell 2.5m for the whole year.

2.5m sales in its ninth year would be bad? What...

Where did I say it was bad? I said it was dying, there's a difference. Everything has to end.

I remember when the Nintendo DS was announced and Nintendo claimed it was a "third pillar" that would co-exist with the GCN and GBA. Nintendo is going to persist that the 3DS is a thing until it gets taken off store shelves. I really loved the 3DS, and for me it makes me a little sad to see it go. People were talking about how it's an "old" system before the Switch even launched, and to me it just didn't feel old yet. Time goes faster and faster as I get older and it's hard to believe that this system came out in 2011.