By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much longer can the 3DS actually last?

RaptorChrist said:
I remember when the Nintendo DS was announced and Nintendo claimed it was a "third pillar" that would co-exist with the GCN and GBA. Nintendo is going to persist that the 3DS is a thing until it gets taken off store shelves. I really loved the 3DS, and for me it makes me a little sad to see it go. People were talking about how it's an "old" system before the Switch even launched, and to me it just didn't feel old yet. Time goes faster and faster as I get older and it's hard to believe that this system came out in 2011.

I think part of the problem in general is that, while the 3DS library was amazing, a lot of the content was unoriginal (i.e. ports, remakes, remasters, half sequels, etc.). Retrospectively, it's very obvious that Nintendo was having major issues supporting two consoles during the 3DS and Wii U era, and arguably that even started in the late Wii era. I think it made people want to move past the console a lot faster than they would have otherwise, because it's kind of crazy that a console that was often considered one of the best in recent memory was quickly disfavored. I seem to remember most of 2016 being fairly uneventful for the 3DS as well, aside from Pokemon and maybe Miitopia and Kirby. And by that point, NX rumors were already spreading out of control, and people were very hungry for the next big thing. 

Around the Network

They can sell it for another 3 years, if they power the price further to 49 USD. Different software from Switch.

For as long as they can keep making money off it.

If they dropped the retail prices of all their 3DS models across the board...
2DS: $80 -> $50
New 2DS XL: $150 -> $100
New 3DS XL: $200 -> $150
... then the 3DS is going to be around a while. Like Soundwave mentioned earlier, those are the perfect price ranges for parents to jump in and buy their kids a Nintendo system and hold them over until they eventually get the Switch.

Until the end of 2019 I think.Then they will probably have smaller Switch revision which will be able to replace 3DS.

Around the Network
derpysquirtle64 said:
Until the end of 2019 I think.Then they will probably have smaller Switch revision which will be able to replace 3DS.

I don't think we're ever going to see a smaller Switch until Nintendo can find a way to integrate the Joy-Con into the design. I think the rumored revision is going to be much closer to a DS Lite style model than a 2DS.