By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should I halt my boycott of Acti-Ubi-EA-nami?

Should I halt my Boycott?

Yes. 9 23.08%

No. 24 61.54%

Other/comments/Indifferent/Middle America... 6 15.38%

Total:39

Yes. I've never fully boycotted any company but you can still chose a partial boycott. For example i will never pay full price $60 for Activision game again. Instead I'll wait to get them on sale. Doesn't take long for them to hit $40 or half price. I'd suggest doing that. Get the games you want from them dirt cheap in a black Friday sale.

Around the Network

I'd keep the Activision boycott going, since they have a bad habit of introducing terrible monetization into games after launch when all the reviewers are done with the un-tainted versions of games. The others are really up to you. I'm not a fan of boycotting corporations in general, since I'd have to live in the woods if I boycotted every time a company did something shady. With Activision it's at a point where even doing my research won't help, so I don't trust their products anymore.

When it comes to Ubisoft, I suggest yes. They have really upped their game in the past few years imo. Their post launch support is second to none, as well. For example, Steep bombed when it came out two years ago, yet they STILL give the game more updates and DLC.

Also I would NEVER recommend NFS Payback. It came out right before the battlefront debacle (so it's riddled with micro-transactions and lootboxes). For an arcade racer, go wipeout omega, forza horizon, trackmania turbo, driveclub, wreckfest (coming next year). Anything BUT Payback.

As for boycotts, My brother and I have boycotted Activision for six years now (last game we bought was COD BO2).Played one or two of the recent cods by borrowing a friends copy for a while. Though that Crash/Spyro bundle, and even BO4 blackout has is sorta urging me to stop the boycott. We'll see.

We have boycotted EA for a five year period from 2013 to 2018. Last game we bought before the boycott was NHL 14 and Need for Speed Rivals. Up right until Burnout Paradise Remastered, which I gave an exception for because it's one of my favourite games of all time. Bought it all full price at launch too, since I wanted to show support towards the burnout franchise and criterion. And maybe I'll get a dirt cheap xbox one version of NFS: Rivals to replace my 360 version. Other than that, we're still boycotting EA.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Depends on your game tastes. I for one have built up a massive backlog of games from other publishers, so I have no issue when there's a drought of new games from publishers I buy from. That said, as someone who does a similar boycott with the same publishers, I make it a rule that if I really, really want a game from them, I get it used. That way they get no money. That's good enough for me.

No reason to stop any boycott. Just go support the massive amount of great indies out there. I haven't bought a Capcom or EA game in more than a decade, and I'm still going strong not buying anything from them.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

I'd hold strong because it absolutely works. Sometimes it even makes you realize how little you needed the game to begin with (me with Star Wars Battlefront 2 and now BFV). If you have to splurge, Castlevania should be cheap. Also, what do you game on (PC, Ps4, Switch, Xbox)? Because there's plenty of great games that none of those publishers have to do with out/coming out.

You can look at games that you haven't bought before and keep the boycott... if you really decide to halt it, but used cheap copies so you still don't give they money.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Congrats on finding good answers for your dilema, not all stories finish as fast and good =]

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I usually just boycott certain games if I feel the publisher is being shitty about it. No reason to boycott everything they do.

I don't care to boycott an entire publisher. It depends why you are boycotting them but I think if you see a game you like, buy it and send the message that this is the type of game you want from them, money is all they will listen to anyway so I may as well pay them when they give me what I want.