By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo could handle their port situation so much better

Note: I'm not writing this in a sales-perspective. Right now, Nintendo is pretty good in money-making.

Wii U was a failure and Switch needs them games. However, I think that ports like NSMBU Deluxe and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker are unfair to the costumer (For those who skipped and owned the Wii U) and a lost oppurtunity for Nintendo itself:

1. What the costumer gets most of the time: An overpriced, lazy port of an old game. This isn't that exciting, even for gamers who haven't played those titles before.

What Nintendo gets: Money. Nothing more and nothing less. Oh, right, they can fill the holes between new Games, to keep the players excited.

2. While Nintendo is, one could say, reinventing (Zelda, Pokemon),  developing further (3D Mario) and going back too the roots (Mario Party) with its franchises, those ports brings one constantly back to the time, where Nintendos logo still was grey. Why doesn't one brings this era to an end?They do want to rebrand themselves. We can see that in their new commercials.

Nintendo could satisfy the costumer so much more with real complete editions: 

Instead of NSMBUD: New Super Mario Bros. + DS, Wii, 3DS and U (as the last entry of the series)

Instead of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker: SM3DL, SM3DW and Captain Toad

Nintendo could even do Pikmin 1,2 and 3 with this concept. You get the idea.

Full Price wouldn't be a problem anymore, the costumer would be better treated and the Wii and DS Era closed off. The Switch would feel on top of that way more lika a new generation. Nintendo could still fill these holes between new games. The only downside would be more work or less money for Big N. But at the end of the day, there would still be a big fat green plus.

I simply can't defending what Nintendo is doing right now when there are much better solutions.

What do you think?

village boy learns to jump.

Around the Network

Yeah, I love what Nintendo has done with some of their franchises this gen. Being going back to the roots or reinventing them. However they have really shown their greed this gen. The WiiU didn't do well, so we the fans have to pay for it. Overpriced ports, paywall for a lackluster online, expensive peripherals etc...

I love the Switch, but Nintendo could do better imo.

I think your proposal is more avaricious than Nintendo's current policy is stingy.

Nintendo doesn't do that because it would require giving reasonable value to the consumer. This is the same company that's charging $10 more for a port of a 4 year old game.

That is true but apparently, while they make money, nothing else matters. the ports that have arrived, must have gone to 40 dollars! I would like them to have a broader view of the situation and think a little more about the consumer.

Last edited by alejollorente10 - on 12 November 2018

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

Around the Network
Chaimo said:

1. What the costumer gets most of the time: An overpriced, lazy port of an old game. This isn't that exciting, even for gamers who haven't played those titles before.

The only game that really describes that is Tropical Freeze. Every Wii U port on Switch has tossed in all the previous DLC plus new content, with NSMB U DX and MK8 DX, or simply replaces the old content with new stuff to make it feel more unique like with Captain Toad. 

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I think your proposal is more avaricious than Nintendo's current policy is stingy.

Why? 

TheMisterManGuy said:
Chaimo said:

The only game that really describes that is Tropical Freeze. Every Wii U port on Switch has tossed in all the previous DLC plus new content, with NSMB U DX and MK8 DX, or simply replaces the old content with new stuff to make it feel more unique like with Captain Toad. 

NSMBU is a select title on the Wii U, you can get it for 30$ (I think), what really is new in the Deluxe version is Peachette. 

Captain Toad only has four new levels, not that much. (Allthough this isn't a fullprice title, I'll give you that.)

MK8 DX is the only port which got enough new content. That's also why I left it out of the discussion. But you can also see here that Nintendo wasn't that creative with it. The feature with holding two items at once was only built in to have more new content, not to enrich the game itself: It's way more unbalanced now.

village boy learns to jump.

I couldn't care less, it's their loss. For example, I would love to play Donkey Kong : Tropical Freeze, as I've heard is an amazing game, but at full 60E, hell no. If they want my money, they gotta work for it.

Last edited by routsounmanman - on 13 November 2018

Chaimo said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Why? 

TheMisterManGuy said:

NSMBU is a select title on the Wii U, you can get it for 30$ (I think), what really is new in the Deluxe version is Peachette. 

Captain Toad only has four new levels, not that much. (Allthough this isn't a fullprice title, I'll give you that.)

MK8 DX is the only port which got enough new content. That's also why I left it out of the discussion. But you can also see here that Nintendo wasn't that creative with it. The feature with holding two items at once was only built in to have more new content, not to enrich the game itself: It's way more unbalanced now.

I think asking for three or four games—some of which are still in high demand and could sell for high prices solo—for $60 is more unreasonable than charging $60 for a port with a new mode/included DLC/etc. I want to be clear: I’d be happy with your proposal; I haven’t bought any WiiU ports outside of MK8D because I’ve been waiting for a price drop. I just believe what you’re requesting is an extortionate course correction.

Chaimo said: 

Nintendo could satisfy the costumer so much more with real complete editions: 

Instead of NSMBUD: New Super Mario Bros. + DS, Wii, 3DS and U (as the last entry of the series)

Instead of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker: SM3DL, SM3DW and Captain Toad

Nintendo could even do Pikmin 1,2 and 3 with this concept. You get the idea.

Full Price wouldn't be a problem anymore, the costumer would be better treated and the Wii and DS Era closed off. The Switch would feel on top of that way more lika a new generation. Nintendo could still fill these holes between new games. The only downside would be more work or less money for Big N. But at the end of the day, there would still be a big fat green plus.

I simply can't defending what Nintendo is doing right now when there are much better solutions.

What do you think?

The costumer?  

(nit-picking spelling, all in good jest)