By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo could handle their port situation so much better

I really wanted them to include DKCR on DKCTF package, even with old graphics, but where you could play with the new characters too. Id buy the game again. What a missing opportunity.
In Pokken I expected a few more pokemon.
The other ports I think were fine.
But bring me 3D world and 3D land, playable with the characters of 3D world, pikmin trilogy, Zelda GC collection (WWHD, TPHD and four swords for sharing the play)

Around the Network

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Chaimo said:

It does in Europe at least. https://www.saturn.de/de/product/_new-super-mario-bros-u-new-super-luigi-u-nintendo-selects-jump-n-run-2117006.html

Because it should be customer and not money first.

1s1, Nintendo is a business, not a passion project. 

2nd, no one is forcing customers to buy said product

3rd, if new games aren't ready, they're not ready. Nintendo already stated a couple of titles slated for 2018 were delayed, it isn't as if they're purposely intending to shaft Switch owners. 

1. I know that money is needed to keep a business running and that it frequently is the absolute goal of a company. But I don't think that all standards should be thrown out of the window for the sake of money, espescially if a company is in a very stable financial position.

Bisa said: 
The thing is, I could agree with you but if they released TMS#FE tomorrow they could put any price on it and id buy it :x

You see, many people like these products (me included). And if you like something you can overlook the bad things it comes with (f.e. the pricepoint). But that doesn't mean you can't criticise it. I think the difference between you and me is, that I feel like that companies also have a responsability for their products, while you say that's only by the customer. I could be wrong though.

GoOnKid said:

You don't have to buy their ports if you're not interested in them. There are plenty games to pick instead.

Also, you said these ports aren't good enough of a deal for people who have not already played it. Why not? These people can now play the games, too. All these games are excellent on their own. Being ports doesn't make them worse suddenly.

A lower pricepoint doesn't make a game worse. A Select-Title isn't worse than its original, Super Mario World isn't worse on VC than the original SNES-Title because of the differences in what you have to pay. And so on. I don't think a re-release of a four year old game should cost the same as then. Would you buy a PS3-game which re-released on the PS4 with minor improvements for full price? Wouldn't you think that this is a bit unfair?

RolStoppable said:
I appreciate your upfront honesty to admit that you left any sense of objectivity concerning this topic at the door.
Thx!
I don't appreciate that you go back on your honesty when you form your conclusion. You say "Full price wouldn't be a problem anymore." when the sales data shows that full price isn't a problem to begin with. In the end this is just another "I'd like to pay less for games I want to buy" thread. There's already a solution for this predicament: Wait until demand for the games drops and buy them when they are cheaper, and in the meantime keep an eye out for special deals by retailers.

Hm, I'd rather say it's just another "I'd like Nintendo to change its behaviour" thread. Yes, many people buy Wii U-Ports but that doesn't make the situation any better, does it? Only for Nintendos finances of course. I could wait untill the price drops but that's not the point here. I wanted to point out why Nintendos practices aren't consumer-friendly and further take on a solution that doesn't just say "Stop making ports", while I know that what I've suggested has its flaws and can absolutly be seen as too avaricious, as Veknoid_Outcast said.

village boy learns to jump.

Sales of said games are proving the contrary. They’re generally selling well and thus show that Nintendo doesn’t have to change strategy with their ports. It doesn’t fit with your value standards for pricing, that’s fine, but don’t forget that consumers perceive the value of something in different ways and for now it seems that these ports are worth their value.

HintHRO said:
What about this one:

Instead of overpriced ports: new games

Or we could have ports and new games!?

Its blow my mind that some people still think that instead every port we could have brand new game.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 15 November 2018

OP comes from totally wrong conclusion, for instance that Wii U ports are expansive, sales of those ports on Switch proves they are not expensive and that are quite popular, so current Nintendo strategy works very well.

Second, port hardy can be lazy (maybe even its done in way that works worse and looks worse than was on Wii U),
higher resolution with some additional content/features is good enough (remember we talking about ports not about remakes).

Also, porting 3-4 games instead of one is totally different thing, with different budget and time needed for such a project.

Around the Network
Chaimo said:

GoOnKid said:

You don't have to buy their ports if you're not interested in them. There are plenty games to pick instead.

Also, you said these ports aren't good enough of a deal for people who have not already played it. Why not? These people can now play the games, too. All these games are excellent on their own. Being ports doesn't make them worse suddenly.

A lower pricepoint doesn't make a game worse. A Select-Title isn't worse than its original, Super Mario World isn't worse on VC than the original SNES-Title because of the differences in what you have to pay. And so on. I don't think a re-release of a four year old game should cost the same as then. Would you buy a PS3-game which re-released on the PS4 with minor improvements for full price? Wouldn't you think that this is a bit unfair?

The Last of Us was full price when they re-released it on the PS4 and it still sold extremely well. It all comes down to the point that the age of any game is not what drives the price up or down, but the customers' demand does. The demand is clearly high for these late ports so Nintendo is right to charge full price. Sales data supports this.

Some people will interpret this and think that I love paying full price. I don't. Some may think that I will defend Nintendo for anything, I don't. I just think that any company does this, not just Nintendo. It would rather be dumb to not charge full price, actually. You as the customer can indeed only wait for price drops or sale offers if you think that these prices are too high.

And a lower price may indeed influence how much you like a game, this was scientifically proven. Paying a higher price makes you think that the product is superior to cheaper products. We can't shake that off, that's how our brain works.

KLXVER said:
Yeah, I love what Nintendo has done with some of their franchises this gen. Being going back to the roots or reinventing them. However they have really shown their greed this gen. The WiiU didn't do well, so we the fans have to pay for it. Overpriced ports, paywall for a lackluster online, expensive peripherals etc...

I love the Switch, but Nintendo could do better imo.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Nintendo doesn't do that because it would require giving reasonable value to the consumer. This is the same company that's charging $10 more for a port of a 4 year old game.

alejollorente10 said:

That is true but apparently, while they make money, nothing else matters. the ports that have arrived, must have gone to 40 dollars! I would like them to have a broader view of the situation and think a little more about the consumer.

routsounmanman said:

I couldn't care less, it's their loss. For example, I would love to play Donkey Kong : Tropical Freeze, as I've heard is an amazing game, but at full 60E, hell no. If they want my money, they gotta work for it.

That's one of a thousand reasons that made me stay away from Nintendo. Everything from them is so expensive.

I'm glad that they make a lot of money from it an that the fans pay the price happily and get happy. Good for them. I just put my money somewhere else.

I can get RDR1 right now for like $20 bucks while Nintendo wants full price for that SMTxFE thing. That's nuts for me. Again, I'm happy Nintendo fans are happy though.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

I just wish they had some sort of cheaper price options for those of us who already bought the games on Wii u. I know they can see as i downloaded most my wii u games which is linked to the same nintendo account as my switch

GoOnKid said:
Chaimo said:

The Last of Us was full price when they re-released it on the PS4 and it still sold extremely well. It all comes down to the point that the age of any game is not what drives the price up or down, but the customers' demand does. The demand is clearly high for these late ports so Nintendo is right to charge full price. Sales data supports this.

Some people will interpret this and think that I love paying full price. I don't. Some may think that I will defend Nintendo for anything, I don't. I just think that any company does this, not just Nintendo. It would rather be dumb to not charge full price, actually. You as the customer can indeed only wait for price drops or sale offers if you think that these prices are too high.

And a lower price may indeed influence how much you like a game, this was scientifically proven. Paying a higher price makes you think that the product is superior to cheaper products. We can't shake that off, that's how our brain works.

RolStoppable said:
Chaimo said: 

Hm, I'd rather say it's just another "I'd like Nintendo to change its behaviour" thread. Yes, many people buy Wii U-Ports but that doesn't make the situation any better, does it? Only for Nintendos finances of course. I could wait untill the price drops but that's not the point here. I wanted to point out why Nintendos practices aren't consumer-friendly and further take on a solution that doesn't just say "Stop making ports", while I know that what I've suggested has its flaws and can absolutly be seen as too avaricious, as Veknoid_Outcast said.

Actually, it does make the situation better, because it proves that the charged prices are in line with the perceived value of the games. Good entertainment remains good entertainment regardless of age, hence why you can find similar examples to what Nintendo does in other branches of entertainment. Decades old Star Wars movies retail for a higher price than movies that came out only a year ago. The music of certain artists still commands a premium price despite its age.

What is and what is not consumer-friendly in the specific case of Wii U ports depends on the individual perspective. The general observation that can be made is that people who owned a Wii U consider the prices of ports too high because they've already bought those games before (therefore not consumer-friendly) while people who didn't own a Wii U don't mind the prices because the ports allow them to play good games without having to buy the atrocity that was the Wii U (therefore consumer-friendly). As such, the objective conclusion cannot be that Nintendo's practices are not consumer-friendly.

It's for the same reason that threads that ask the question if there have been too many Wii U ports on Switch have greatly divided answers. People who owned a Wii U will say "yes" while people who didn't own a Wii U demand that there should be even more ports.

While I can't say that many subjective opinions create an objective view of things, I can't argue against you two anymore. I'll have to start from another point of view next time.

Thx for the discussion. :)

village boy learns to jump.