By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 9th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

I don't have statistics for my list, but I know that the dominant developers are Nintendo EAD and Square/Square-Enix and the dominant platform is the PS2. Zelda is the franchise with the most representation in my list. Maybe I should have been "MasterSwordWielder" :p

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Darashiva said:

I'm already looking forward to seeing how the top 50 changes over the next year. There's already one potential game that might make it in next year.

What game might that be, I wonder.

Lost Odyssey. Finally got around to playing it after having it on my shelf for years. I'm almost done with the game, but I can't say for certain yet where it'll end up on my list. I'm liking it very much though, so it might make it into the top 50 next time.

mZuzek said: 
S.Peelman said: 

This is a good idea. I had already picked one a couple of weeks ago though when mZuzek and... I’m sorry I don’t remember.. was it you? Could have been you.. Anyway I’m finally going to play Okami this year, bought the Japanese retail Switch version. Got delivered to my neighbour for some reason, but that’s okay.

Okami on split joy-cons is actual bliss, I'm glad you're getting to play the best version first, unlike a certain other guy who had it at #4 for two years because he only played the crappy Wii version without credits still, it is a shame that you don't get the original credits music on the Switch version unless you set the language to Japanese, but well, at least you do get credits.

I might have to try Okami again on Switch this time.  I tried the Wii version and gave up after a couple of hours because of the poor controls.

mZuzek said:
Dr.Vita said:
Hopefully Dark Souls will at least reach the top 10 but it is very unlikely from what I have seen. :/

I don't know what the rankings are looking like at the moment, and I don't think it has a chance at the top 10, no, but Dark Souls does have a pretty good amount of points so far.

Shadow1980 said:

Well, it was before your time (assuming you really are 23). I guess you had to be around to really appreciate it. At the time, SMB3 was the most anticipated game ever. It was the first game to ever have a massive hype machine behind it. It was the "real" sequel to Super Mario Bros., the game that put the NES on the map less than five years prior. While SMB2 was great and was very successful, it just didn't feel like Mario, which as we later found out was due to it being a non-Mario game reskinned as a Mario game (the real SMB2 later being re-released as "The Lost Levels"). SMB3 promised the return of the same core SMB gameplay of the original, but bigger. More enemies, more power-ups (Mario can fly!), more variety in the levels. The level of excitement over this game was huge. In the last two or three months before launch, it was promoted heavily in Nintendo Power, could be played early in the PlayChoice-10 arcade machines (which let you play Nintendo games for a fixed period of time per quarter spent), and was even featured in the climax of the movie The Wizard. And of course it had this ad, which ran in heavy rotation on TV:

Basically, SMB3 took everything great about the original, added to it, and multiplied it by ten. It was an incredibly fun game, and I think it has aged very well. About the only complaint I have is that you can't replay a level once you've cleared it, but that was something that not many games did back then.

I do remember playing SMB3 a little as a kid - not sure if I had played more modern games before it at the time or not, but I didn't really care about that. Even as a kid, Mario games never did it for me, but if there was one that clearly stood out it was SMW. I get that people were hyped over SMB3, but the way I see it, it was just a worse version of a game that came very shortly after. Personally, to this day I just don't get what's so fun about SMB3, every time I decide to give it a chance and play it for a while to try to appreciate the masterpiece people say it is, I just don't have any fun at all, or at least not any more fun than I do playing SMB1 (which is, not much). I guess Mario games really just aren't for me, but out of the ones I've played there are some I at least enjoyed (and one I loved, but talking 2017 in this case is a bit beside the point), and I can't say that for SMB3 despite having tried several times to get into it.

To me SMB3 is much better than SMW, even though World is also a game I really like.  I think one appeal of SMW is that it is more accessible to new players.  It has a save feature and it lets you repeat levels and you also have Yoshi.  To me, as a gamer, challenge and exploration are two of my biggest needs.  SMB3 has just the right challenge level and it has so many damn secrets.  I remember the first time I found a hammer bros suit in Mario 3.  I felt totally OP.  This was the toughest enemy since the first game and now I could be him.  That was just awesome!  And it was also a huge reward because I was looking everywhere for secret stuff.  Even with all these power-ups the final world is still challenging.  On the other hand SMW just feels too easy.  You can repeat levels and stockpile lives.  That takes a lot of the challenge out of the game.

Mnementh said:
mZuzek said:

So, with that out of the way, I'm gonna get to work. In the meantime, I'd appreciate it if you guys kept this thread going a little longer - it always saddens me to see people leaving it so early every year... but then again, I can't really ask for people to discuss about something when I've nothing to propose. Oh well.

We could now that we finalized our own lists take a peek at the lists of others and make the new years resolution to choose a game and play it this year from a different list which we don't know yet. I wanted to play Neverwinter Nights already the last year, but didn't came around to it, so I should try this year. Also I always only play Heroes of Might and Magic 3, I should also try out other parts in the series, namely 2, which is high on Liquid_Lasers list.

I already played Katamari Damacy in December, which is a great game and qualifies for my next years list. One of the games that don't get old, like Okami.

You should also play Final Fantasy Tactics.   

I looked at your list and these are the games that look most interesting to me (out of the ones I haven't played):
Pandora's Tower
Etrian Odyssey*
Okami (mentioned above)
Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land
Ys VIII

Okami and Ys VIII are very likely candidates for me to play in the following year, because I am mostly focused on Switch games right now.  But I will see if I can fit in one of the others too.

*I actually tried Etrian Odyssey 2 on 3DS, and I was really getting into it.  I played like 10-20 hours but then I realized that I don't like the story mode.  The story does nothing for me and one of the main things I liked about Wizardry is making my own party.  After I restarted, I realized that I didn't want to replay through everything again though (so I never finished the game).  Also a lot of the character classes seem unintuitive to me.  Their casters don't seem like the typical wizard and cleric.  Is there one entry of Etrian Odyssey that is considered to have better character classes than the others?  Or would I be better off just playing Wizardry on the PS2?

mZuzek said:
Darashiva said:

Lost Odyssey. Finally got around to playing it after having it on my shelf for years. I'm almost done with the game, but I can't say for certain yet where it'll end up on my list. I'm liking it very much though, so it might make it into the top 50 next time.

...oh. Well, that was anticlimactic.

I was thinking Smash, of course.

Don't have a Switch yet, so I can't play any of the games on it unless I'm visiting a friend who has one. I should get a chance to try the new Smash at some point this month though.

S.Peelman said:
Mnementh said:

We could now that we finalized our own lists take a peek at the lists of others and make the new years resolution to choose a game and play it this year from a different list which we don't know yet. I wanted to play Neverwinter Nights already the last year, but didn't came around to it, so I should try this year. Also I always only play Heroes of Might and Magic 3, I should also try out other parts in the series, namely 2, which is high on Liquid_Lasers list.

I already played Katamari Damacy in December, which is a great game and qualifies for my next years list. One of the games that don't get old, like Okami.

This is a good idea. I had already picked one a couple of weeks ago though when mZuzek and... I’m sorry I don’t remember.. was it you? Could have been you.. Anyway I’m finally going to play Okami this year, bought the Japanese retail Switch version. Got delivered to my neighbour for some reason, but that’s okay.

Oh, Okami is great. Got it for Switch again, and thought I play a little to get a feeling again for it. I found myself playing for hours instantly, as the game pulled me back in, although I already have beaten it. And it is twelve years old. Beats most games that came out in 2018.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I might have to try Okami again on Switch this time.  I tried the Wii version and gave up after a couple of hours because of the poor controls.

Mnementh said:

I looked at your list and these are the games that look most interesting to me (out of the ones I haven't played):
Pandora's Tower
Etrian Odyssey*
Okami (mentioned above)
Ys VIII

Okami and Ys VIII are very likely candidates for me to play in the following year, because I am mostly focused on Switch games right now.  But I will see if I can fit in one of the others too.

*I actually tried Etrian Odyssey 2 on 3DS, and I was really getting into it.  I played like 10-20 hours but then I realized that I don't like the story mode.  The story does nothing for me and one of the main things I liked about Wizardry is making my own party.  After I restarted, I realized that I didn't want to replay through everything again though (so I never finished the game).  Also a lot of the character classes seem unintuitive to me.  Their casters don't seem like the typical wizard and cleric.  Is there one entry of Etrian Odyssey that is considered to have better character classes than the others?  Or would I be better off just playing Wizardry on the PS2?

The Switch version of Okami has different control options, so you can try some and see which you like. Hopefully one is good for you.

For FFT: yeah, I totally should play it, but I can't, as it released on so few platforms and I don't have any of them.

For Etrian Odyssey: I prefer the classic way not in the story mode, but the Untold stuff allows me to replay with additional story mode for new value. That is quite nice. And dunno, I like the character classes usually. I actually like that they are variation on the classic formula. You still have your basic cleric with the medic and your basic wizard with the alchemist. Still, I understand, they are different from the usual old-school stuff - which made it interesting for me. You might take a look at this site, it lists all the classes for the different entries: http://etrian.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Class_List

Tale of the Forsaken Land is also a good choice, although I really wish at this point it would get HD remaster, the PS2-graphics looks a bit dated. 3D of that era ages worse than 2D. Oh yes, and obviously Pandora's Tower too, there is a reason I put it that high. Apparently some reviewers docked points, because it is not like an usual JRPG, never was aware it was merketed as one. I see it as action adventure, and as such it is fine. The RPG elements are very in the back. And yes, Ys VIII is also cool. Although I think fighting is better in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (which it was often compared too), in Ys the fighting is pretty simple, basically button smashing. But exploring, building your base and fulfilling side quests is pretty fun.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
S.Peelman said:

Oh, Okami is great. Got it for Switch again, and thought I play a little to get a feeling again for it. I found myself playing for hours instantly, as the game pulled me back in, although I already have beaten it. And it is twelve years old. Beats most games that came out in 2018.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Pandora's Tower
Etrian Odyssey*
Okami (mentioned above)
Ys VIII

The Switch version of Okami has different control options, so you can try some and see which you like. Hopefully one is good for you.

For FFT: yeah, I totally should play it, but I can't, as it released on so few platforms and I don't have any of them.

For Etrian Odyssey: I prefer the classic way not in the story mode, but the Untold stuff allows me to replay with additional story mode for new value. That is quite nice. And dunno, I like the character classes usually. I actually like that they are variation on the classic formula. You still have your basic cleric with the medic and your basic wizard with the alchemist. Still, I understand, they are different from the usual old-school stuff - which made it interesting for me. You might take a look at this site, it lists all the classes for the different entries: http://etrian.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Class_List

Tale of the Forsaken Land is also a good choice, although I really wish at this point it would get HD remaster, the PS2-graphics looks a bit dated. 3D of that era ages worse than 2D. Oh yes, and obviously Pandora's Tower too, there is a reason I put it that high. Apparently some reviewers docked points, because it is not like an usual JRPG, never was aware it was merketed as one. I see it as action adventure, and as such it is fine. The RPG elements are very in the back. And yes, Ys VIII is also cool. Although I think fighting is better in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (which it was often compared too), in Ys the fighting is pretty simple, basically button smashing. But exploring, building your base and fulfilling side quests is pretty fun.

Actually what you said about Etrian Odyssey is pretty useful.   I didn't realize the medic and alchemist were supposed to be similar to the cleric and wizard respectively.

As for Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I am reluctant to play it.  I thought XC1 was a good, but not great, game.  It would have been a great game, great combat system, huge world, etc... but I had 3 issues with it:

1.  Walking everywhere seemed to take forever.
2.  Didn't like the last 1/3 of the story.  Everything leading up to that point really had me invested, and then they have some stuff about scientists and outer space and stuff.  I lost all interest at that point.
3.  Combat system is fun, but limiting.  There are plenty of situations where you had to use Shulk as your main, and you also need a healer.  Since I don't want to be constantly changing my party that meant I really could only choose 1 character.  That felt really limiting.

I might try XC2 if that stuff is fixed (not sure if it is or not).  I am looking for some sort of game to replace Final Fantasy though.  Final Fantasy used to be my favorite series, but it just isn't the same anymore.  I am leaning more toward trying games like Pandora's Tower, Lost Odyssey or the Last Story to get something similar and new to me.  But I might give XC2 a try if it is actually better than the first one.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

Actually what you said about Etrian Odyssey is pretty useful.   I didn't realize the medic and alchemist were supposed to be similar to the cleric and wizard respectively.

As for Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I am reluctant to play it.  I thought XC1 was a good, but not great, game.  It would have been a great game, great combat system, huge world, etc... but I had 3 issues with it:

1.  Walking everywhere seemed to take forever.
2.  Didn't like the last 1/3 of the story.  Everything leading up to that point really had me invested, and then they have some stuff about scientists and outer space and stuff.  I lost all interest at that point.
3.  Combat system is fun, but limiting.  There are plenty of situations where you had to use Shulk as your main, and you also need a healer.  Since I don't want to be constantly changing my party that meant I really could only choose 1 character.  That felt really limiting.

I might try XC2 if that stuff is fixed (not sure if it is or not).  I am looking for some sort of game to replace Final Fantasy though.  Final Fantasy used to be my favorite series, but it just isn't the same anymore.  I am leaning more toward trying games like Pandora's Tower, Lost Odyssey or the Last Story to get something similar and new to me.  But I might give XC2 a try if it is actually better than the first one.

Ah, so good luck woith another EO-try.

For Xenoblade I get your complaint. In the beginning only Sulk with the Monado can harm Mechons, and Sharla is set because she is your only healer. This leaves you only one spot in the party for free choosing. Later on more characters can actually harm Mechons, especially Melia with her "magic". Although Melia plays quite differently, I didn't get her in the beginning. First I hated, as I didn't know how to use her abilities, but then the game has a section where you play her alone, and I was forced to learn her abilities. After that I loved her and played her as the main. Thing is, with the buttons on the sides you activate a spell, but don't execute it. And it is blocked until you execute it. This happens with the button in the middle. Late game I played mostly with Melia, Sharla (healing, you know) and ... well pretty big spoilers.

XC2 has no mechons that need special weapons, so you don't have that limitation about the character. XC2 also streamlined the fighting system a bit, so it is more fluid, but also simpler. I prefer overall XC1, but XC2 is still a great game, better than XCX. I hear good things about the Torna-DLC, should try it if I have time sometimes.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

On my list for this year:

Biggest drop: Super Mario Bros 3 (down 20 spaces to #41)
As a whole, I've realised I don't enjoy platformers as much as I once did. This naturally sees this one crash. On the other hand, Super Mario Land 2 (the best 2D Mario) and DKC2 maintained #12 and #9.

I had 14 new games in my top 50 this year, as well as two who climbed back into it (Pokemon Platinum at 46 and Super Paper Mario at 34).

RPGs are the most common games on my list, with Dragon Quest, Pokemon and Fire Emblem taking up a large chunk of the list by themselves.

My list has already changed since submitting this one, so my list for next year is liking different. I can't see anything challenging Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky for my #1 spot, but I give Fire Emblem Three Houses and Pokemon 2019 the best chance at doing so.

Love this thread each year - one of the reasons I frequent VG Chartz. Love the diversity in games we prefer. Happy new year all!

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

Almost time for the results! Yay!