By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 9th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

Flilix said:
S.Peelman said:
Cr*p. I have car trouble. Which means I won’t be posting #2 anytime soon. Which in turn means I might as well hint the #1;

#1: There this game, that’s kind of legendary.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time?

It couldn't really be anything else, so yes, correct.

Around the Network

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

• Windows PC
  • Role-playing Game
  • BioWare / LucasArts

Indisputably in second place on the list, is the monumental 'Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic'. How can something be better than 'Super Mario 64'? I didn't think something could, but it happened in this Star Wars game, the quintessential role-playing game that sucks the player into it's rich world and amazing story helped by it's seamless, perfect gameplay.

In fact, the game has a 'Star Warsy-story' more "Star Wars" than real Star Wars movies! Besides maybe the original; A New Hope. A classic battle between good and evil, or in Star Wars terms, light and dark. The hook is that the player decides through a long process of actions during events throughout the story, choices and conversations with companions and others, whether or not he or she sympathizes with either the light, or the dark. Each action of course has far reaching consequences during the course of the story and during the end-game especially, and the pay-off for either side is grand.

It includes what's probably the greatest plot-twist ever told in gaming, and I never even saw it coming. In a cutscene displaying some amazing direction and cinematography, and I doubt this is still a spoiler to anyone but skip a sentence or two if it is, it will slowly dawn on you that you are in fact, the Dark Lord of the Sith that the entire Galaxy is afraid of, but in some way simultaneously admires. Your memory wiped and your strings now pulled by your closest companion. I fell off my chair; my mind was blown in a way I never experienced before or after. If you play through the game more and more times however, you'll start to notice there actually were plenty of subtle hints to this fact all throughout the game, but you just don't realize the shocking fact until it's too late.

The game came right when I was starting to be turned off of console gaming and I played it on a personal computer instead, further cementing my idea of the home computer's superiority during this era. It was the sheer brilliance and perfection of this game that made me stay away from consoles and rather game on computers for several more years. There was no way a console could offer anything better than this. And none did since.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

• Nintendo 64, GameCube, 3DS
  • Adventure
  • Nintendo EAD / Nintendo

And there it is, finally. After some time of discussing games, this is the point where we reach the top game of all, the number 1 greatest game of all time. 'The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time' certainly is that. The game equals perfection in every way and it would still be the only game I would ever give a perfect score. At least up to the present day, who knows what the future brings. This game is usually on my mind, even when playing something else, because this is what I'd rather be playing!

The game features the most classic good versus evil story one could imagine. In fact, there's a lot of comparisons to be made between it and 'Knights of the Old Republic' in the #2 spot, so you could guess what kind of story I like. Simple and sweet. Link is an unsuspecting youth growing up amongst a tribe known as the Kokiri, when one day he is called upon by the guardian of the forest, the Deku Tree. As it turns out, he is not a Kokiri at all, but was left there hidden away after birth because he is the child of Legend.

One of the most epic moments in all of gaming is when the player enters the chamber behind the Door of Time, and pulls the legendary Master Sword from it's pedestal ending it's eternal slumber. Unable to wield it yet, Link is entombed within the heavenly Sacred Realm to wake up seven years later, only to find the world now under the depressing reign of the evil Ganondorf. When the game seemed over already, it turns out it's actually three times larger than the part you already played, and some of the best moments are still ahead. Unparalleled world and level design decades ahead of it's time, a feel of epicness and wonder never again seen and memorable event after memorable event make the game something special from start to finish.

I was already familiar with the series, and 'A Link to the Past' was already one of my favorite games. Even as a child in an age when there wasn't really much of an internet to speak of, I was very well aware of this game's impending release. I don't think I've ever been more hyped about a game release before or since. I begged everyone in my family to get me this game; someone, please, buy me this game. I would even wash the dishes for a year. I even proceeded to draw a picture of the box-art to show people so they would know what to look for. It was wrong though, I used lower-case letters instead of upper-case, and colored it gold instead of black. It wasn't perfect, but thankfully, as it turned out, people got the message. And the game thankfully was perfect.

There's many more stories and memories attached to this game, and I could go on for a while. Still to this day, when I once again see the end credits roll, I watch it without blinking an eye. It remains ever as epic. 'The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time', it is still the greatest game ever made.

mZuzek said:

Welp, finally done with that. Big plot twist, yeah, I know, but it's December 31st so let's finish this.

#1 - There's only one possible choice now, isn't there? Should be a pretty simple guess.

Lol I was totally fixed on Skyward Sword being #1, so I never considered the possibility of it being #2. Well played.

Then #1 is... Sma.. no.. Super Met.. no.. Breath of t.. no.. Star Fo.. Uhh what else does mZuzek like.. I know!

It's Okami.

mZuzek said:
S.Peelman said:

Lol I was totally fixed on Skyward Sword being #1, so I never considered the possibility of it being #2. Well played.

Then #1 is... Sma.. no.. Super Met.. no.. Breath of t.. no.. Star Fo.. Uhh what else does mZuzek like.. I know! It's Okami.

It's a shame for Liquid Laser because he had this one, but, yes.

I am not only extremely good, I am also fast as lightning.

And apparently lightning is faster than laser.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
S.Peelman said:

Then #1 is... Sma.. no.. Super Met.. no.. Breath of t.. no.. Star Fo.. Uhh what else does mZuzek like.. I know! It's Okami.

S.Peelman said:
mZuzek said:

I am not only extremely good, I am also fast as lightning.

And apparently lightning is faster than laser.

I leave the forum for a few hours and this is what happens.  That will teach me to not live on here 24/7. 

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 31 December 2018

Thanks mZuzek for hosting! Things got so crazy at the end of the year, I didn't have much time to submit hints and make guesses. Oh well, there's always next year :)

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I was convinced, for the longest time, that no video game would crack the top three. One had been there since 1998; another since 2008; a third since 2012. And those were just the years I played them; in truth no game past 2001 was in my top three. Then came 2017 and Breath of the Wild. When I first started playing I thought to myself "this is great, sure, but I think I prefer A Link Between Worlds when it comes to modern Zelda games." Then I left the plateau.

I've been playing games for 30+ years. I've seen a lot. I don't think I've ever seen something like Breath of the Wild. It takes the dream of Zelda"miniature garden that [players] can put inside their drawer"—to new places with new gameplay possibilities. Sure, it's not as focused or as intentional as, say, Ocarina of Time, but its incredible atmosphere, engaging improvisational combat, addictive action-adventure loops, physical audacity, and mind-blowing emergent gameplay more than make up for any drawbacks. It's a masterpiece of game design and a triumphant celebration of player agency. It's everything I never knew I wanted. It's the best game I've ever played.

Got my top 50 in. Just in time. Wish I would have had more time to think about it. And play more games for that matter.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Positions #50-#46 and honorable mentions: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8943647

Positions #45-#36: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8944604

Positons #35-#26: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8945131

Positions #25-#16: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8946152

Positions #15-#6: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8946743

Now, my top 5:

#5 - Kingdom Hearts II

What I like the most about this game: The incredibly fun, engaging and well balanced battle system, which is one of my favorites from any RPG; the magic of visiting worlds based on Disney movies that I grew up with (also, there's a world that I found it to be soooooo charming, named "Timeless River", based on the classic movie "Steamboat Willie"); the memorable moments that the story has (there's a particular event near the start of the game that is so sad); the epic and well designed boss fights; the varied and well designed regular enemy encounters; the interactions of Sora, Donald, and Goofy with the Disney characters (forgot to mention this for the first game); the ageless art-style and the fantastic soundtrack. I have so many fond memories of this game, I still remember my first few hours with it.

#4 - Chrono Trigger

What I like the most about this game: The endearing cast of characters (one of my favorites ever); the time travel story, which is incredibly well executed and full of memorable and impactful moments (for example, the scene in the pic below); the overall sense of being in an epic adventure that the game gives you, mainly thanks to the time travel story; the side-quests, as they help to flesh out the characters and have their own moving stories (all of them connected to the main plot in some way); the fun and fast-paced turn-based battle system and the Techs system (I love the idea of the double and triple techs); the ageless sprites and, of course, DAT soundtrack, which is one of my favorites.

#3 - NieR: Automata

What I like the most about this game: THE STORY, which is just so engaging, thought-provoking, and full of unforgettable moments: no story before had this kind of impact in me and I'm not sure if it will ever be topped, it's my favorite story from any video game; the very special relationship between YoRHa units 2B and 9S; the game's world, which has an incredibly deep lore; the overall desolate atmosphere of the game; the side-quests, as they show a lot of interesting lore and background of different side-characters, and many of them are thought-provoking like the main story; the combat system, which has many fun sub-systems to play around with; the chips system, the glorious soundtrack.

#2 - Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

What I like the most about this game: The way it completely nails the sense of being in a big epic adventure thanks to its beautiful explorable world, which has a great variety of locations to visit and a lot of beautiful towns and secrets to find (as well as different modes of transportation through it, like the sabrecat or the ship); the cast of characters, all of whom have their own, well developed, backstories; the memorable story moments that it has; the turn-based battle system and the tension sub-system, which adds another layer of strategy to the combat; the memorable side characters and side activities, the Alchemy system, the gorgeous and ageless art-style and the soundtrack (the field theme gives me so much nostalgia).

#1 - Xenoblade Chronicles

What I like the most about this game: Its beautiful and expansive world, which gives the game a sense of scale that completely and utterly blowed me away in a way that no game had ever done before; the overall concept of the game's world (it being basically two huge dead titans) and all of its lore; the overarching plot and the super engaging story, which is full of memorable moments that made me have all kinds of emotions; the very likeable cast of characters and their backstories; the engaging battle system, which has a lot of strategic elements without it being too convoluted and overwhelming; the gameplay sub-systems (like gem crafting, the Skill Tree, Skill Links); the way the world changes according to the time of the day; the fantastic variety of enemies; the great art-direction, which makes up for the technical shortcomings; the magnificent soundtrack, which is my favorite ever (tied with Nier Automata's and Chrono Trigger's).

As y'all can see, I changed my avatar to reference my #1 game :P

Also, happy new year to everyone!

Last edited by Keybladewielder - on 01 January 2019

mZuzek said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I leave the forum for a few hours and this is what happens.  That will teach me to not live on here 24/7. 

Based on S.Peelman's post, it also feels like he was checking my lists from previous years out, hm... so, how does it feel to lose to a filthy cheater?

You take me for someone who is not completely lazy. Though I did check this year's list of yours to see if Okami was already on there or not.