By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 9th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

Mnementh said:
outlawauron said:

48 and 45 have been guessed!

And some hints for the unguessed ones:

50. Play along with tons of songs in Fantasy worlds.

49. You're really starting to show your age.

47. Involves some 2D sidescrolling across beautiful feudal landscapes as it was painted before you.

46. You and crew are absolute animals and do all you can to save the galaxy (including barrel rolls).

#47 must be Muramasa: the Demon Blade.

RingoGaSuki said:

#29: 10 year old kid gets sent away with an electric rat, assembles team of monsters and becomes a legend
#28: Paper thin plumber goes through many doors

#27:Anime swordspeople slay hordes in SRPG spinoff
#26: Brings out the Gordon Ramsay in all of us, one of the best multiplayer games of the generation
#25: Man with sword quests to fight an evil dragon, collects allies (and a ship) along the way.

#26 is probably Overcooked.

Darashiva said:

29 is Final Fantasy IX, 28 is Final Fantasy V I think, and 29 seems like Final Fantasy X-2.

Also, no guesses on these games yet on my list. I'll add some hints to each one:

#29: A prequel to a quite unique open world game series. You might end up helping make a music video for a famous artist right after beating one of your former bosses to a pulp. Both of the main characters has their own main side quest where you are either a real-estate agent or the manager of a hostess club.

#28: A gorgeous 2D metroidvania heavily inspired by a certain series famous for its intricate world design and lore. A world filled with bugs of all kind.

#27: This game starts a new subseries within this franchise. Takes place after the events of another trilogy in the series, and during two other games which have so far not been released in the west. The main characters are members of a very special class in a military academy. set a few years after certain events in Liberl.

#25: Your only guidance is a mountain on the horizon. It's not about the destination...

#29 is maybe Yakuza?

#28 is surely Hollow Knight

#25 is maybe about the Journey? Erm, Journey..

Correct on all three. 29 is specifically Yakuza Zero.

Around the Network
Darashiva said:
Mnementh said:

#29 is maybe Yakuza?

#28 is surely Hollow Knight

#25 is maybe about the Journey? Erm, Journey..

Correct on all three. 29 is specifically Yakuza Zero.

Oh yeah, I should've seen that it was Zero. You wrote prequel.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Landale_Star said:
#28 Fill the void left by the Dawn Warriors and fell the ultimate tree.

Final Fantasy V?

Correct

Darashiva said:
Landale_Star said:
Hints for my next three games, there is something similar about all three.

#29 Begin the game by kidnapping the most babe-alicious beauty in all the kingdom, except she's only too happy to go along with you.
#28 Fill the void left by the Dawn Warriors and fell the ultimate tree.
#27 The first real sequel in the franchise, a special prologue dvd set before this game was used to try boosting sales of another long running rpg saga.

29 is Final Fantasy IX, 28 is Final Fantasy V I think, and 29 seems like Final Fantasy X-2.

Also, no guesses on these games yet on my list. I'll add some hints to each one:

#29: A prequel to a quite unique open world game series. You might end up helping make a music video for a famous artist right after beating one of your former bosses to a pulp. Both of the main characters has their own main side quest where you are either a real-estate agent or the manager of a hostess club.

#28: A gorgeous 2D metroidvania heavily inspired by a certain series famous for its intricate world design and lore. A world filled with bugs of all kind.

#27: This game starts a new subseries within this franchise. Takes place after the events of another trilogy in the series, and during two other games which have so far not been released in the west. The main characters are members of a very special class in a military academy. set a few years after certain events in Liberl.

#25: Your only guidance is a mountain on the horizon. It's not about the destination...

All correct!

Mnementh said:
outlawauron said:

48 and 45 have been guessed!

And some hints for the unguessed ones:

50. Play along with tons of songs in Fantasy worlds.

49. You're really starting to show your age.

47. Involves some 2D sidescrolling across beautiful feudal landscapes as it was painted before you.

46. You and crew are absolute animals and do all you can to save the galaxy (including barrel rolls).

#47 must be Muramasa: the Demon Blade.

Correct!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Yakuza 0
(Change YoY: NEW!)

The second of four new games in my top 50 this year, Yakuza 0 essentially made me regret ignoring the series in the past as it instantly became one of my all time favourite open world games. How can I not just love a game that can somehow balance some absolutely ridiculously silly sidequests about an in-training dominatrix, running a hostess club or helping a fictional versions of Michael Jackson and Steven Spielberg film this world's version of Thriller, with a deathly serious main storyline where many characters end up dying in horribly gruesome ways while others have to suffer and struggle through constant adversity and opposition. 

It's an absolutely marvelous game. The world isn't as massive as most other open worlds these days, but it is infinitely more interesting and vibrant thanks to the game's genius design. As far as I'm concerned, you can keep your bland wastelands and oversized sandboxes. Sotenbori and Kamurocho are better than almost any other open world ever created.

Metroid Fusion

• GameBoy Advance
  • Action
  • Nintendo R&D1/Nintendo

I'm still kicking myself about the fact that I missed 'Metroid Fusion' during the time the GameBoy Advance was the prominent Nintendo handheld. As it turned out, it was the best game in the franchise and the best original game on the system. It even happened to be one of the best handheld games ever. If only I knew sooner, but I had mostly abandoned the handheld and consoles beforehand sadly.

Contrary to earlier games in the series, the game focuses more on the story progression and less on the exploration, though there's still enough exploring to do after the game opens up later on. The story is almost that of a survival horror game, and takes the series's example, the movie 'Alien', further than ever before. Famous series protagonist Samus is stranded on an abandoned space station after answering a distress call and finds a species of parasites have taken over all life. One of the parasites takes the shape of Samus herself after she was infected and needed to part with her famous suit.

This antagonist is named "SA-X", and is certainly one of the best antagonists in video-game history. It haunts you throughout the game, and an encounter, even though scripted in the story, is genuinely terrifying. All you want is flee and hide when it appears. The whole game is able to ooze that eerie atmosphere all-around, and had I played it when it came out, it would even have severely helped my perception of the GameBoy Advance system as a whole.

#28 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
guessed by S.Peelman
platform Switch
release year 2011
developer/publisher Bethesda
genre open world action RPG
links Wikipedia

Skyrim was one of the games I had to try out on the Switch. I like big RPGs and Skyrim delivers. It has somewhat dated graphics and the fighting system actually is not that excellent. But the game is so big and allows you a great sense of freedom. Do whatever you like. And the game offers so much what you can possibly do. This is quite fun for hours and hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSRtYpNRoN0

Last edited by Mnementh - on 03 December 2018

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

#28: Two swords; one good, one evil.
And it's not Skyward Sword.

#26 is still unguessed and I think I add more.

#27: Guessed by Darashiva: Jagged Alliance

a) Dwarfs and elves on a hexfield.
b) Win with fewer turns to have more gold for the next level.
c) The game gets updates and additional content for over a decade now.
d) Control your armies one turn at a time.

#25: Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Starcraft/Broodwar

a) Control a red blob.