By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 25 companies by gaming revenue (up to june 2018)

When it comes to gaming revenues in 2018, Sony is very well placed at second position so far this year, only behind Tencent (USD 10+ billion generated with gaming only). Data encompasses the revenue generated up to the second quarter this year so far.

https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/top-25-companies-game-revenues/

Around the Network

Was expecting Take Two to be higher. Don't they own R* or something?

KLAMarine said:

They will probably have a jump when numbers for RDR2 are priced in into the accounts.

Forgot to hit quote.*

KLAMarine said:

Top 10 auto manufacturers based on revenue 2017.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/232958/revenue-of-the-leading-car-manufacturers-worldwide/

Mostly mass produced 'garbage'. No Ferrari or Lambo in this list either.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
How is Nintendo below EA? -_-

Nintendo, unlike EA, still makes games and those cost money. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

CaptainExplosion said:
KrspaceT said:

But Nintendo is the better company than EA. Way better practices and more recognizable characters. -_-

The mass population tends to prefer quantity over quality. Which isn't that crazy because would you rather have like 5 guaranteed amazing AAA games each year, or tonnes of variations of indy to AAA games? Some being great, others being wasted digital space.

It is interesting to see that Tencent dwarfs everyone else, at least in the first two quarters of this year. But, I think that they have relatively less exposure to the west, where Q4 is generally massive. So, I'll be interested to see how this looks for the whole year.

I would also think that Apple and Google have relatively weak Q4s, as they're mostly in mobile gaming. I assume that mobile gaming isn't so holiday dependent (though I'm sure it is to some extent).

Hopefully someone will resurect this next year, when we can see all of 2018.

CaptainExplosion said:
KrspaceT said:

But Nintendo is the better company than EA. Way better practices and more recognizable characters. -_-

Well it is just Revenue. EA can make a ton of high budget games and then sell them for $60 and then charge for DLCs and lastly EA game pass+ Origin. Nintendo only has games, generally cheaper and just launched Nintendo online in September.

Mar1217 said:
EricHiggin said:

The mass population tends to prefer quantity over quality. Which isn't that crazy because would you rather have like 5 guaranteed amazing AAA games each year, or tonnes of variations of indy to AAA games? Some being great, others being wasted digital space.

I think their secret his way more obvious than that :

FIFA : The microtransaction dream (Yearly Edition)

You got it. Quantity. More new versions of games each year, and more to do in each. Even if that more is spending more money lol.