By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 13 Dead in Shooting in Thousand Oaks California

"Helus was a firearms instructor for recruits in the sheriff’s basic training academy... less than a year from retirement."

That seriously sucks, he served 29+ year as a police officer, and was killed just before it retirement, by a Marine with PTSD.

11 college students...

Does anyone know if the former marine was getting the medically treatment he needed?

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 08 November 2018

Around the Network

PTSD? Sure? Because I read they were not sure if he ever went on a mission. It seems that every misconduct of a soldier gets automatically tagged with PTSD.

Edit: alright the last update confirmed he did went to Afghanistan.

"this is not the time to talk about gun control"

bananaking21 said:

How about free medical treatment for people with mental illnesses?

Seriously nothing good comes of people running around, that have mental illnesses and are untreated.
It should be in societies own intrests to get these people treated.

Terrible. There really needs to be a better screening process for people with various types of mental issues. One would hope that the greatest of cares could be taken especially in regards to people with a military background.

Personally, I've always been of the opinion that in order to own a gun, you should be required to constantly have to subject yourself to re-evaluation. Meaning you have to continuously prove, at least once every 3 months, that you are still fit to own that weapon. The second amendment is all well and good, I'm not going to pretend that there aren't demonstrable positives that come with the right of law-abiding citizens to own a gun, and protect themselves. I also understand that a lot of responsible gun owners worry about where exactly the government would draw the line in terms of what defines mental stability, and what kind of medication you would be allowed to take without losing that right they so value….but, clearly, we have to agree there must in fact be a reasonable line somewhere. Identify it, and put measures in places to make it as hard as possible for anyone at that threshold to get access.

Around the Network

The lastest South Park season isn't even exaggerating. And it won't change unless America uses their brains for once and ban guns altogether.

Has the NRA backed GOP sent out their thoughts and prayers yet?

he was cleared by mental health "experts" after some calls about domestic violence and the police responded. this was a system failure in kalifornia.

how about some threads every time someone is stabbed in london? or is that not on the propaganda agenda?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/nov/06/london-stabbings-tributes-paid-to-fifth-victim-in-six-days

JRPGfan said:
bananaking21 said:

How about free medical treatment for people with mental illnesses?

Seriously nothing good comes of people running around, that have mental illnesses and are untreated.
It should be in societies own intrests to get these people treated.

Was just talking to someone at work the other day and they were telling me how he knows someone from the military that gets $6,000 a month tax free from the government because he has PTSD.

They both served in the military, fyi.

Military people should also be able to get great health insurance through the VA.

Now of course this is all if they didn't get shafted, slipped through the cracks, or on huge wait list or other horrible service you hear about the VA at times. The point is, for military personal and former military, the help and money is there, it's just whether or not you got shitty luck when trying to get it.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Has the NRA backed GOP sent out their thoughts and prayers yet?

California has some of the strictest gun laws, just like Chicago and yet nothing changed. 

I do notice a lot of the veterans are committing these mass shootings. Maybe it is time we do something about VA hospital and start automating a lot of combat roles in the military so there aren't as many veterans with PTSD.