By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's site suggests YouTube app possibly coming to Switch November 8th

Dulfite said:
melbye said:
Good for the people WHO absolutely need that, i'm keeping my switch clean from non-gaming stoff

Exactly. At first I thought Nintendo was crazy for not putting these kinds of apps on the Switch, but now I don't need nor want them on it. I have a million other ways to watch YouTube.

Ya the amount of devices I have with Netflix, Hulu & YouTube is pretty damn high so I couldn't care less if these apps come to it or not and I think most people feel the same way.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Masked_Muchaco said: f
Jumpin said:

I'd say that because it's 2018 this sort of stuff isn't really useful and is a little redundant unless you want to use your Switch as a portable media device (if for some reason you don't have a phone). For at least a half a decade now TVs have come with that stuff (youtube, netflix, etc...)  built in.

Back on the Wii and the early days of the Wii U this stuff was far more relevant.

I like to watch videos on my 40-inch TV, which does have a YouTube app, but I prefer to launch it through my PS3 because I find the PS3 controller much better to navigate the app than the crappy controller that came with the TV.

Fair point, but I think that you can probably get better remotes for your TV if you don't like the original. I am not sure if "because I like using a gaming controller more than a remote" is going to be a compelling point for Google/Netflix/etc... to prioritize Switch development - or dev on any of its successors. Especially if they need to increase their tech support and update departments. If there was a business reason (as their certainly was on the Wii) then they would have had the app available at Switch launch. But really it would be a product of how many users would actually use youtube on Switch, and if the ad revenue generated exceeds the added expense of support - and also the freedom of resources is a factor too - even if the expenses are a little less, the minuscule extra profit probably pushes it down low on the priority list - and that would explain why we're getting youtube in late 2018 instead of early 2017 and netflix somewhere to later to not at all.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 03 November 2018

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I'd say if anything, the Switch proves that you don't absolutely need these apps to be successful. It's nice to have them, but one thing I like about the Switch is that it actually embraces the fact that it's a gaming device first and foremost. From the limited, yet fast and clean OS, to the candy-colored Joy-Con, you feel like you're holding something designed for playing games above all else. It's a gaming device in the purest possible sense, and in a day and age where consoles are getting bloated with tons of features nobody uses/cares about or are on a million other devices already, it's a refreshing change of pace. 

Masked_Muchaco said:
Jumpin said:

I'd say that because it's 2018 this sort of stuff isn't really useful and is a little redundant unless you want to use your Switch as a portable media device (if for some reason you don't have a phone). For at least a half a decade now TVs have come with that stuff (youtube, netflix, etc...)  built in.

Back on the Wii and the early days of the Wii U this stuff was far more relevant.

I like to watch videos on my 40-inch TV, which does have a YouTube app, but I prefer to launch it through my PS3 because I find the PS3 controller much better to navigate the app than the crappy controller that came with the TV.

I'm the complete opposite.  I used to launch YouTube exclusively through my Wii U, but now that I have a TV with YouTube, Hulu, and Netflix (among other apps) built in, I just go through the TV now.  The touchscreen of the Gamepad is convenient, but I don't have any problem navigating YouTube with my TV remote.

Don't you guys have phones?

I kid, cool if it happens, I'm fine if it doesn't it will just be one more place I can watch some youtube vids on but I already have a bevy of choice, most of the time if I'm even on mobile for entertainment on a train or plane I'll have a video on my phone and a game on the switch.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:

I'd say if anything, the Switch proves that you don't absolutely need these apps to be successful. It's nice to have them, but one thing I like about the Switch is that it actually embraces the fact that it's a gaming device first and foremost. From the limited, yet fast and clean OS, to the candy-colored Joy-Con, you feel like you're holding something designed for playing games above all else. It's a gaming device in the purest possible sense, and in a day and age where consoles are getting bloated with tons of features nobody uses/cares about or are on a million other devices already, it's a refreshing change of pace. 

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

There are some hints that we could have some kind of Direct this week, so maybe announcement of YouTube app could be part of that possible Direct.

This would significantly increase the amount of use my Switch gets. Hopefully it turns out true, and it is just the start of more non gaming apps for the system. Nintendo and Sony need to stop being Appcists, and start letting all Apps on their devices. Create an open software culture, were all Apps have an opertunity!

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

It's availiable

SKMBlake said:
It's availiable

Oh shit so it was true?