By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NES Classic and SNES Classic have shipped 10 million units combined

They are awesome, really hope N64 Classic is released soon. I am really curious to see if PS Classic will be as successful

Around the Network

I think in part what definitely helped is how easy both are when it comes to hacking and putting your own games on it. I have two extra units that have been hacked.

This is a great milestone, and I expect these systems to continue to have legs.  However, I don't expect PS1 + N64 classics to sell 10m in the same time frame.  Not even close in fact.  Generation 5 did not age well. 

More importantly, though, there is a lot of pent up demand for well made 2D games.  This is not just nostalgia.  It is a desire for a style of games that are not terribly common anymore, especially among top studios.  But the studios that do make good classic style 2D games often find an unexpected level of success.  Just look at games like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Undertale, Octopath Traveler, Dead Cells, Axiom Verge, etc.... 

That's actually really impressive. Hopefully PS1 Classic can sell similar to that.

dharh said:
I wonder how much would have sold if these were actual consoles that ran old carts rather than just software emulators running on what is essentially raspberry pies. I'm skipping all these lame 'classics'. Just bought a Super nt and planning on buying Sega sg when its released.

Far less.  For c$100, I got the SNES mini with 21 games.

A copy of Final Fantasy III/VI would run me $60+ by itself, without a box or manuals, and I'd have to worry about the battery being dead.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
dharh said:
I wonder how much would have sold if these were actual consoles that ran old carts rather than just software emulators running on what is essentially raspberry pies. I'm skipping all these lame 'classics'. Just bought a Super nt and planning on buying Sega sg when its released.

Less because that would’ve been too much of a hassle for too many people, nevermind much more expensive if you had to buy individual games.

I guess so.  Still it would be better if they released multiple versions of these classics with themed set of games like an RPG SNES Classic, or a Sports SNES Classic, or better yet be able to connect to the internet and be able to download games from a store.  As it stands these classics are pretty worthless to me.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

dharh said:
S.Peelman said:

Less because that would’ve been too much of a hassle for too many people, nevermind much more expensive if you had to buy individual games.

I guess so.  Still it would be better if they released multiple versions of these classics with themed set of games like an RPG SNES Classic, or a Sports SNES Classic, or better yet be able to connect to the internet and be able to download games from a store.  As it stands these classics are pretty worthless to me.

A re-issue of of SNES classic with Chrono Trigger would be nice 

Train wreck said:
Nintendo finding success in this space means that others like Sony, Sega and SNK can come in and find success on their own...and that's what they are doing. There is enough room for everyone as this market segment is still in its infancy. The cost of these things amount to a special edition of a game or a more expensive peripheral and they seem to me to be very high margin. Each have lineup that will appeal to a mass number of individuals.

Those who want its failure (the game list doesn't match what I want so I want it to fail, even though I don't buy Playstation products anyway) or are predicting its failure (it wont match the sales of the NES/SNES mini's because their games are not as iconic), the device was never for them.

Who says the people who aren't happy with the PlayStation Classic game list don't have PlayStation products in their home?  I would point out that the people who are disappointed with it most are actually the ones familiar enough with the PlayStation's library to know that Sony packed this think with filler while completely leaving out some of the system's most iconic franchises.

What the classic mini taught me is the Adventure of Link and Metroid are far better games than I remember, and Legend of Zelda is much worse.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.