More info about online! 3 5.77%

More info about game mechanics! 0 0%

New music! 0 0%

ew smash 3 5.77%

Other 1 1.92%

Total:52
Wyrdness said:
My guess on the five DLC characters:

- XBC2 character: It's clear Sakurai wants a character from this game in Ultimate even though they haven't started any work on the DLC I'm pretty sure someone from the game will be in Ultimate.

- Virtua Fighter Character: Akira made it into ultimate as the representative for the series that was the first 3D fighter but only as an AT I can see someone from the series being picked out as a main character.

- Fire Emblem Three Houses Main Character: Really you don't think this will happen?

- Jin (Tekken): SEGA got Akira into the game I'm sure Namco could do the same with their iconic series as well.

- Dante (DMC): A bit hopeful tbh but it makes sense to go along with Bayonetta.

Not so bold prediction: The will be another character pass after this one.

Ultra Hopeful: Some SNK representation.

That's actually a pretty bold prediction in my opinion - it seems pretty obvious that Sakurai is overseeing the next 5 characters and I think after that he'd want a break from Smash. Even if they make more without his supervision (or if he just takes a more backseat role), remember that this Smash DLC of 5 characters will probably last an entire year, maybe even more. That's about how long the support for games like Splatoon have been (I believe they said they weren't adding anything new after this year). 

Given the fact that Smash Ultimate already has a Rex costume in it I actually think the chances for a Xenoblade 2 character have gotten a lot smaller, because usually it tends to be that smaller franchises get a main character in the game rather than a side one. But hey - I wouldn't be surprised if they just didn't use the whole "if it's a spirit/trophy or costume it's not going to be in the game", given the fact that Sakurai wrote like what ... a huge blog post about how much he loved Xenoblade 2, or something like that? Personally I'd prefer someone like Nia because we have so many anime sword users already. 

I agree with you on Fire Emblem although I would also not be surprised if the whole "there's too many FE characters" mantra made it so that no more were added. 

I expect at least 3 of the 5 characters to be third party because I think that gives the game a lot more attention after release, those tend to be the DLCs that people pay a shit ton of money for. So to me most likely - 2 nintendo characters, 3 3rd party characters. 

Runa216 said:

Nintendo finally seems to be (reluctantly) joining the modern age and aren't spamming us with a new smash game every year so this works for me. 

Uhhh ..... what?

1999: Super Smash Brothers

2001: Super Smash Brothers Melee

2008: Super Smash Brothers Brawl

2014: Super Smash Brothers for Wii U/3DS

2018: Super Smash Brothers Ultimate

A new smash game every year? Nintendo was making arbitrarily long waits for sequels to series before the gaming industry even made the 3-6 year development time a standard, lol. Most of their main franchises were carefully filtered so that they only had one game per console, or in the case of Smash, even just one game per generation. 

Not only that, but Nintendo has been doing paid DLC since 2014 and Games as a Service since 2015. I don't get how they're reluctantly joining the gaming industry now, they did that like 3-4 years ago. 

Also I have no idea why Nintendo fans are so obsessed with making any Nintendo franchise with multiplayer into a long running service. I remember before Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was officially announced and all we had to go on was the Switch reveal trailer, people were saying Nintendo was going to make the 8 an infinity sign on the cover and give the game paid DLC for the rest of Switch's life, making it a "platform". People also said that Splatoon 2 would be Splatoon Refresh and that it would just be a port that got content over the Switch's entire life, yet support is already dying down. While I do think there's an argument to be made that sales of games increase when they become a service, I actually think that's a hard argument to make for Nintendo games in particular, which have always had good legs. It's not a coincidence that Games as a Service has become more necessity for yearly franchises which tend to drop player populations fast for the next game (COD) or that games that feature no remarkable praise (like Ghost Recon) are GAAS. GAAS is an industry wide tactic not because it's necessary for amazing multiplayer games to live past a few months, it's necessary to milk more money out of consumers and to keep consumers coming back to games that are mediocre. That's why something like Mario Kart Wii is still selling tens of thousands of new copies, or why something like Halo 3 was one of the most popular multiplayer games for three years straight. Smash's life is already guaranteed by the fact that it's the only Smash game that will ever be on Switch.  

Will they get more money out of more Smash DLC? Absolutely - and I think particularly if they add a lot of 3rd party DLC, you might see a couple of people who weren't previously interested buy the game. But I don't think that making DLC throughout the entire life of Switch is actually going to do anything other than make Nintendo slightly more profit from DLC, and maybe make casual fans play the game for like 5 days after a new DLC releases only to turn it off again for another 3 months. 

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 01 November 2018

Link to the VGChartz Discord server: https://discord.gg/2uMTaYtv

Someday you will die somehow 

And something's gonna steal your carbon 

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Mar1217 said:

Gotta remind people that if you really put your expectation on the fake Grinch leak then ... you really need to put your ego at bay.

We can only wonder who exactly you are referring to.

Freud's definition of ego. Some people put their expectations as an absolute need to be realized

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

GuyDuke said:
KLXVER said:

Well not every Nintendo fan think everything Nintendo does is amazing and flawless. 

No. But when it comes to games and innovation they are hard as hell to beat. But we won't talk about hardware and Internet

They do directs and that’s internet related :P

I guess hardware is debatable in regards to Switch. What would you do in regards to Switch’s hardware while making it profitable at $300?

In regards to the direct, I like it. Sure the final characters were spoiled by Insiders but I cannot complain about 75 characters in a roster, especially of Smash’s caliber. This is the biggest, if not the greatest, crossover game in history. Spirits Adventure Mode looks interesting and I like the trailer. Incineroar looks awesome and a great farewell performance for the Japanese voice actor who long-voiced Professor Oak. Online has been revamped and I’m intrigued on how it works for me. A lot of small features that just makes the game what it is, polished and a lot for a variety of players. As for no trophies, I’m said but I get it. Making hundreds, if not thousands, of 3D models does not sound easy unless someone would like to dispute that. We got so much content in one game already that it’s ridiculous, especially for a fighting game. You don’t see that often nowadays, even in Street Fighter or Tekken as much as I love the genre.

i feel fortunate to live in a time where Smash Bros. Ultimate exists. It’s a crossover for the ages.

Last edited by Kai_Mao - on 01 November 2018

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Runa216 said:

Nintendo finally seems to be (reluctantly) joining the modern age and aren't spamming us with a new smash game every year so this works for me. 

Uhhh ..... what?

A new smash game every year? Nintendo was making arbitrarily long waits for sequels to series before the gaming industry even made the 3-6 year development time a standard, lol. Most of their main franchises were carefully filtered so that they only had one game per console, or in the case of Smash, even just one game per generation. 

Not only that, but Nintendo has been doing paid DLC since 2014 and Games as a Service since 2015. I don't get how they're reluctantly joining the gaming industry now, they did that like 3-4 years ago. 

Yes, exactly like what I said. They aren't releasing a Smash game every year. You literally just responded to what I said with an air of indignity then proceeded to spend however many minutes it took you to research those dates to confirm that, no, Nintendo does not release a new Smash every year. 

Just like I said. 

Just like you seem to agree.

Yet seem to be arguing about? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4

Runa216 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Uhhh ..... what?

Yes, exactly like what I said. They aren't releasing a Smash game every year. You literally just responded to what I said with an air of indignity then proceeded to spend however many minutes it took you to research those dates to confirm that, no, Nintendo does not release a new Smash every year. 

Just like I said. 

Just like you seem to agree.

Yet seem to be arguing about? 

This must just be one of the worst worded posts in the history of VGChartz, then. 

"Nintendo finally seems to be (reluctantly) joining the modern age and aren't spamming us with a new smash game every year so this works for me. "

You put two separate ideas right next to each other A ) Nintendo doesn't release a Smash game every year B ) They're finally joining the modern age. That makes it sound like they're finally not releasing a smash game every year. And it wasn't just me who was confused - the entire Nintendo channel in the VGChartz Discord did not understand the comment. 

I didn't have to look up the dates for the Smash releases anyways since there's only 5 entries in the series, so they're pretty easy to remember (also it's not "dates" it's year of release, i'm not so anal as to use dates). Luckily a majority of my post was a response to making Smash an infinite DLC machine anyways, so not really a waste of time on my part. 

Link to the VGChartz Discord server: https://discord.gg/2uMTaYtv

Someday you will die somehow 

And something's gonna steal your carbon 

Around the Network

Solid Direct, Its just crazy how much content this game will have on launch, 74 fighters with even more stages, and plenty of mods.
And its expected that they will keep supporting and expanding game with DLC and updates.

Mar1217 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

We can only wonder who exactly you are referring to.

Freud's definition of ego. Some people put their expectations as an absolute need to be realized

So by some people you mean just RingoGaSuki then. He's the only one in this thread so far who's said his disappointment is due to the supposed Grinch leak, yet you were trying to attribute that to multiple people.

Well, I'm out. I'm not making the same mistake again that I did when I wasted my money on Smash Bros 4 thinking I would enjoy it anywhere near as much as Brawl.

"The single player will be nothing like subspace emissary." That's all I needed to know. A sprawling single-player adventure mode with cutscenes and a story, and something that actually feels like a rolling adventure is the only thing that would have made me purchase this game.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

No previous Smash game is coming even close to how good Ultimate is. Definitely one of the biggest games of 2018, or more suitably put all time.

It's literally the celebration of video games. It's astounding how well Nintendo achieved to make the biggest video game cross over series in history. Definitely a system defining game. 

Also 10/10 final Smash Direct. Any better wouldn't be realistically possible period. All the hard work, effort and determination they've put into this game already is uncanny in itself. No one's been able to do better than this before. Super Smash Brothers Ultimate is one of a kind.

Last edited by Green098 - on 01 November 2018

Green098 said:

No previous Smash game is coming even close to how good Ultimate is. Definitely one of the biggest games of 2018, or more suitably put all time.

It's literally the celebration of video games. It's astounding how well Nintendo achieved to make the biggest video game cross over series in history. Definitely a system defining game. 

I'd agree with you if they had a robust Subspace Emissary-like story mode, but Sakurai confirmed there was nothing like it.

There's a lot of fighters and content, but... meh, Smash Bros 4 had lots of stuff too, but I felt like I had played everything it had to offer within about an hour or two.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.