By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Classic Full Games Lineup Revealed

There are some gems in there, but overall it is a disappointing list. I have to say that I was anticipating this would most likely happen though. The PS1 had a long list of "good" games, but it only had a few "great" (i.e. universally acclaimed) games and most of those were third party games: Symphony of the Night, Metal Gear Solid, FF7, etc.... So you've got this issue that it is going to be hard to please everyone, because each person had different list of "good" games, and several of the "great" games didn't even make the list.

To be fair, I doubt the N64 classic list will be much better. Nintendo's best classic years were with the NES and SNES. They did do a really good job picking the lists for the classic versions, but it was easier for them, because most of the best games were first party, and Nintendo was the market leader. Now with gen 5, we can choose the PS1 where the best games were mostly third party or the N64 where Nintendo was not the market leader, and therefore the game library was overall weaker. Not a great choice either way. Also gen 5 games don't age nearly as well as gen 4 games.

Around the Network

Man what a lame list of games. Like, some great franchises on there, but the games they included from those franchises, why? Like Destruction Derby for example. Why the original, when Destruction Derby 2 was way better? Or doesn’t this thing come with two controllers? Why not DD Raw, the best one, which also has split screen MP? Same for games like Twisted Metal and Cool Boarders.

Where’s Wipeout? Rally Cross? Spyro? Tomb Raider? Crash? Why is Rainbow Six, which on PSone was by FAR the worst port iirc even included here? It ran at like 16 FPS and was shit to control. Why not one of the many many many iconic RPGs from PSone? Vagrant Story?

Japan’s list looks way better imo.

There's probably room for improvement, but seems like a pretty good list to me.

Two biggest missteps I can see: 1) Twisted Metal 2 should’ve been there instead of TM1. TM1 does not age well and had frustrating controls; 2) No tomb raider

meh... its ok, but $100? maybe in a real real slow month for video games, too much bad ass games coming out for a bit.

Around the Network

hard pass. terrible selection of games imo

This is a reaaally bland list unfortunately. I'm still glad I pre-ordered one, but I was hoping that I didn't have to solely look forward to the stuff I could mod onto it, and enjoy a good portion of the stock stuff as well.

As if the selection of games like Battle Arena Toshinden, Cool Boarders 2, Destruction Derby, Intelligent Qube, Jumping Flash!, Mr. Driller and Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (seriously, why did we need TWO Tetris clones?) ... I'm pretty sure Rayman, Grand Theft Auto, and Revelations: Persona are not even that liked by fans who have played them recently. That's not to say they don't belong on the list, they absolutely do, but it is just another another con for an already questionable catalog of titles. 

I know it would have been harder to get certain games. Reasons for the lack of Gran Turismo have already been discussed in this thread. But it's a $100 machine that only has 20 games on it with a lot of them being downright unappealing. They could have done a lot to make this valuable - add JRPGs like Legend of Dragoon, Xenogears, Suikoden, Breath of Fire, add action games like Tomb Raider and Ape Escape (yes, I know that would actually require joysticks!), add platformers like Spyro and Crash. I mean, isn't this thing supposed to be sold as the nostalgia machine? Why are Crash and Spyro missing? Hell, expecting Gran Turismo might have been unreasonable, but a $100 price tag is also quite unreasonable. And while we're at it, why even restrict it to 20 games? Or 1 game per franchise? It would be one thing if they put the one title from a large amount of the notable franchises on Playstation. But if you're not going to do that, why not just capitalize on the legacy of sequels?

There was never going to be a list that satisfied everyone ... but honestly this isn't going to satisfy many people, at all. I still expect it to sell well because well, it's Playstation. But i'm disappointed, would have loved to experience Playstation history with this thing. It's a pass.

This doesn't need to exists. Just put Tekken 3 on PSN please.

Mar1217 said:
Well let's just say for the extensive price, people could have expected a better lineup. It's clear they didn't want to pay these royalties much.

Also, for people who knows nothing of Persona 1 and has only played the 3rd game or onwards .... you've been warned.

Tell me about persona 1, i haven't played it.