By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Classic Full Games Lineup Revealed

Acevil said:
Megiddo said:

Is there something missing from this collection on the same level as Chrono Trigger missing from the mini SNES?

Spyro, Crash, and Tomb Raider, all easily trump Chrono Trigger in terms what they meant to the console. 

Indeed, which is why Spyro and Crash had all 3 games lovingly remastered for current gen consoles.

Whereas Chrono Trigger got... an awful mobile port.

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
konnichiwa said:

It is honestly not weirdly.

Make any list of 20 games and people will say it misses a lot.
I probably could come up with 50 good/Great titles and people will say I miss out of a lot.

There's a huge distinction between "any list" and "list of no-brainers".  The PlayStation was Sony's first console.  A PlayStation Classic should have the games that defined the console.  Nintendo's 1st Classic System had 7 of the NES' Top 10 sellers on it.  The PlayStation Classic has 3.  The NES Classic also had the big 3rd party titles that everyone remembers the NES for:  Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man 2, Double Dragon II, Super Contra, Ghosts n' Goblins...  Meanwhile, Crash Bandicoot (The PlayStation's mascot from that era!!), Spyro the Dragon, and Tomb Raider do not have a single entry to represent them.  I owned a PlayStation and spent a lot of time gaming on it, but the list that Sony came up with to represent their first ever console is extremely underwhelming to me.  I don't think they did a good job at all compiling a list of games representative of that system.  I'm not talking about leaving out niche games that I enjoyed personally, like Suikoden, Vandal Hearts, Vanguard Bandits, Vagrant Story, etc.  I'm talking about games that the system is remembered for in general.  Sir Daniel Fortesque from MediEvil and PaRappa the Rapper were both in PlayStation All Stars Battle Royal, and neither of their games are represented here either.

But mediEvil is getting a remake and parappa is already on PSN. (well FFVII aswell but that one is to big to miss out i guess).  Crash/Spyro should not be surprising that they did not make the list including Wipeout.  Crash Team Racing would have been a great addition.

But if you owned a playsation during it's first year this list really represent the console well:

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders (2)
  • Destruction Derby
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash!
  • Mr. Driller
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil Director’s Cut
  • Ridge Racer (Type 4)
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken (3)
  • Twisted Metal
But again what are some other must haves?  Ape Escape?  Gran Turismo?  Driver?  Tony Hawk? Dragon Quest VII? Tomba? Croc? MK Trilogy? Need For Speed (4)? Medal of Honour? Parasite Eve?  Tenchu? Ace Combat? Silent Hill? Spiderman (2)? Die Hard Trilogy? Duke Nukem Time To kill? Dino Crisis? Bushido Blade? Star Ocean second story? Tales? Breath of Fire? Gex? Marvel VS capcom? Arae 51? X-men generations academy? South Park? Theme world/Hospital? Nightmare Creatures? Rival schools? Bloody Roar? Alien Trilogy? Colony Wars? Future Cop? star Gladiator? Rollcage? MDK? Fear Effect? Micro Machines? Lemmings? 

And so on....

It is not difficult to make a better list but their is so much to choose from. 

• Final Fantasy VII
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Resident Evil Director’s Cut
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
Those are the games I'm interested in. Some because I've played and loved them, others because I'm curious to try them out (Rainbow Six, Twisted Metal, Persona). I didn't think Intelligent Qube would ever make it on there, always thought it was a pretty obscure title. I played it on a demo disk and rented it once. It's a really fun and stressful puzzle game.
Edit: Wish I could have the Japanese version with Parasite Eve and SaGa Frontier.
Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 29 October 2018

Signature goes here!

Megiddo said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
This is a disappointingly poor list. PS1 was a powerhouse console, with no shortage of great games. Yet this collection is missing a lot of best-sellers and a lot of classics.

Is there something missing from this collection on the same level as Chrono Trigger missing from the mini SNES?

Please don’t waste my time with whataboutism.

One classic console missing fan favorites doesn’t negate another classic console missing fan favorites. We can be disappointed in both.

But since you brought it up, yes, the omissions in PS1 are far worse than SNES. Even without Chrono Trigger, the SNES classic featured 4 of the 5 best SNES games. You can’t say that for PS1.

Megiddo said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
This is a disappointingly poor list. PS1 was a powerhouse console, with no shortage of great games. Yet this collection is missing a lot of best-sellers and a lot of classics.

9 of the SNES's Top 15 sold games are on the SNES Classic (Chrono Trigger was 19th), compared to 4 of the PlayStation's Top 15 being on the PlayStation Classic.  So yeah, as Acevil pointed out, not one of the Crash, Spyro, or Tomb Raider games making it onto the PlayStation Classic is a much bigger deal than Chrono Trigger.

Around the Network
Megiddo said:
Acevil said:

Spyro, Crash, and Tomb Raider, all easily trump Chrono Trigger in terms what they meant to the console. 

Indeed, which is why Spyro and Crash had all 3 games lovingly remastered for current gen consoles.

That does nothing for the target audience of these Classic consoles.  These are meant to be impulse shopping buys for someone looking for a nostalgic kick at around $5 per game, not $40 each remasters on a $300 system.  The list of games should be stacked with titles instantly recognizable to someone who owned or was aware of the original PlayStation, whether they have continued gaming throughout their life or not.  The PlayStation Classic is missing hugely notable franchises in that regard.  Having remasters out or in development for the PS4 doesn't render that a moot point in the slightest.

Not the games I wanted on this one.. now I can avoid it and have no second thoughts about it what so ever.

Kind of a missed opportunity if you ask me.

Mandalore76 said:
Megiddo said:

That does nothing for the target audience of these Classic consoles.  These are meant to be impulse shopping buys for someone looking for a nostalgic kick at around $5 per game, not $40 each remasters on a $300 system.  The list of games should be stacked with titles instantly recognizable to someone who owned or was aware of the original PlayStation, whether they have continued gaming throughout their life or not.  The PlayStation Classic is missing hugely notable franchises in that regard.  Having remasters out or in development for the PS4 doesn't render that a moot point in the slightest.

Not at all a moot point. Having the 3 Spyro and 3 Crash games remastered/remade is a huge deal, as evidenced by Crash's immense sales.

The SNES classic is missing hugely notable 3rd party franchises just like the Playstation Classic. Not surprisingly, Square Enix didn't want to glorify the origin of Tomb Raider since they had nothing to do with the early games and Activision wanted to push their Crash/Spyro remastered games. There's no sort of surprise here.

The biggest surprise is Gran Turismo, but I'm not too informed on the first release. I know GT2 had Creed, Beck, and Foo Fighters songs which could be a huge hassle song rights-wise, but did the first GT have any big music on it?

JRPGfan said: 

Would have loved if there where some more RPGs on it.
Like Chrono Trigger + Chrono Cross.
why not also put Persona 2 : Innocent Sin +  Persona 2 : Eternal Punishment  on there?
Suikoden 1 & 2?

Because it is meant to represent the gaming profile of PS1 and no RPG machine. 3 RPGs on a 20 titles console is more than enough. The japanese version has too much RPGs to be honest. 

Also, the Japanese PS1 Classic has these:

Arc the Lad
Arc the Lad II
Armored Core
G-Darius
Gradius Gaiden
Parasite Eve
XI [sái]
SaGa Frontier

Would have loved any of these.

Edit: Whoops, OP already has them.