By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The human cost of Red Dead Redemption 2 (Eurogamer)

Cerebralbore101 said:
potato_hamster said:

Yeah, that's not true either. Nintendo of Japan has also done its fair share of firing/laying off people over the years. And I can also give plenty of examples of other Japanese video game companies lay off people and/or high up employees jumping ship (Kojima says hello!)

Perhaps you should stop with the generalizations.

Yeah you've just got one real example there with Kojima. And that was him jumping ship, not him getting laid off. If you could provide multiple examples of Nintendo of Japan laying off their corporate Japanese workers, I'd be inclined to agree with you. And keep in mind we are talking about employees of Nintendo, not of another company. So don't go pointing to some contractors that Nintendo hired for TGS or something like that. 

Define "corporate Japanese workers" first. Also, you might want to note that while Iwata refused to lay off anyone, Hiroshi Yamauchi certainly didn't.

Last edited by potato_hamster - on 29 October 2018

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:
Kerotan said:
What a bunch of legends. They sound like seriously hard workers. The world would be a better place is everyone work like them. Makes me want to buy this game even more to support their herculean effort. Well done guys. Can't wait to see what you do next.

The world would be worse since everyone would have a mental breakdown sooner or later.

What do you do for a living?

Lol are you for real? Half the world's population are below middle class. If the whole world worked like rockstar employees we'd be going to the moon on holidays by now. 

Big fucking deal, they choose to work a long hard job. They are privileged to be earning a decent wage. 

I will honour their efforts by buying rdr2 full price digitally. 

Kerotan said:
GoOnKid said:

The world would be worse since everyone would have a mental breakdown sooner or later.

What do you do for a living?

Lol are you for real? Half the world's population are below middle class. If the whole world worked like rockstar employees we'd be going to the moon on holidays by now. 

Big fucking deal, they choose to work a long hard job. They are privileged to be earning a decent wage. 

Well you just seem to refuse to acknowledge the problem here, so whatever. Have your cake.

Here's the thing...  its not that bad if they didn't go find another job.

Also, even if it is that bad but working on RDR2 was the right career move and leads to bigger and better things, shouldn't complain about that either; as WE ALL DO THAT if we are driven and can see the forest through the tree's.

Now, the deal with the new dad and being unable to work weekend's...  that's a problem if true and should have been escalated to HR, like every other employee would have to do; an then you find a new job.

We have free will y'all.  No one has to work at Mcdonald's, or EA, or Rockstar.

And I will honor their sacrifice by waiting until the game is on PC, and getting if for as cheap as possible.

Around the Network

After reading more into this issue I can't see myself ever complaining about delayed games again. Still wish they'd wait closer to the end of the dev-cycle to announce games though.

4 ≈ One

GoOnKid said:
Kerotan said:

Well you just seem to refuse to acknowledge the problem here, so whatever. Have your cake.

There's no problem. Awesome hard workers, for an awesome company supplying an awesome game. That's the kinda product I want. Support hard work. 

Kerotan said:
GoOnKid said:

There's no problem. Awesome hard workers, for an awesome company supplying an awesome game. That's the kinda product I want. Support hard work. 

You are out of your mind, good sir. I can only assume you've worked like 70+ hrs regularly if you think that's how a proper company should run. Granted, the most i've worked is 55 hour week and just that was exhausting (and a one-off 22 hour work day, worst experience of my life)

Support the workers and company sure, but recognize that those are not normal working environments. That's not a standard by any means, it's extremely taxing on those workers.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

I think the bad thing about this issue is that the burden is on the workers to do something to show their displeasure with these working conditions. The big wigs at the top won't give a shit until they see people leave or backlash in mass. Gamers who don't care about how it gets done and just wants "muh cowboyz" are not helping either.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Baddman said:
One quote I've heard from multiple people is from a manager telling staff who did complain: "If you don't like it, fuck off and work down Tesco's."

I would've quit on the spot

I would have quit before that. I love my job. I feel luckyblessedprivileged whatever word you want to put on it to do what I do. I would never be ok with working this much not only because of my family but because I need my own time for BJJ and Weightlifting. On top of playing video games. 

I feel bad for these people being overworked like that. I don't get why the company wouldn't just hire more people if they have so much over time. I work 47 hours a  week and even with as much as I love my job when Friday comes I'm ready to go home and do my own thing.