By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The human cost of Red Dead Redemption 2 (Eurogamer)

Areym said:
Kerotan said:

There's no problem. Awesome hard workers, for an awesome company supplying an awesome game. That's the kinda product I want. Support hard work. 

You are out of your mind, good sir. I can only assume you've worked like 70+ hrs regularly if you think that's how a proper company should run. Granted, the most i've worked is 55 hour week and just that was exhausting (and a one-off 22 hour work day, worst experience of my life)

Support the workers and company sure, but recognize that those are not normal working environments. That's not a standard by any means, it's extremely taxing on those workers.

I've been in the military so I've done a hell of a lot harder for a hell of a lot less money. Should we boycott countries because their armies overwork and underpay? 

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:

1) I probably could have worded it better. Rockstar should change the way they work, not simply work less. There are more ways to maintain a high level of productivity without simply throwing in more work hours.

2) This only works only in Economy 101 where we try to emulate the real world through models, but the real world is much too complex, so models (as well as graphs, functions and mathematical formulae used within these models) need to make sacrifices of accuracy. If someone tried to emulate the real world with its entire complexity, the result would be the real world again. So, a function of labour can only measure something within its range, or scope. Your labor function ignores every social aspect of labor (how much do you like what you do?), but also every physical, like workers getting tired and exhausted.  So no, productivity is not simply measured by working hours. Labor efficiency plays a major role in the real world.

3) This mindset belongs to the century before the last one. We have long since moved on.

4) It's neither a trade-off nor a zero-sum game. We can have both, we just need to work on it. Of course it takes time and it's hard - but it's worth the effort.

1) The game was delayed twice already and Rockstar's studios themselves employ over 2000 employees. What exactly are other ways could they maintain a high level of productivity other than adding more hours ? (adding more hours is especially effective for those familiar with the project) 

2) For the most part, productivity being a function of labour holds in the vast majority of cases in our observed world. As long as labour remains a scarce resource then productivity is not unlimited. Sure hours may not be everything and that's why milestones are a benchmark as well for productivity but if more hours did help Rockstar reach their milestones quicker then that simply augments my argument further ... 

3) Nope, to this very day humans still have to work in providing value. As long as we continue to use money to put a price on labour then that mechanism can be the only way to truly measure productivity ... 

4) Do you realize the irony you've created ? You say it's neither a trade-off nor a zero-sum game but then claim we have to "work" towards it but we already are working towards it by making many commodities and services abundant through "hard labour" that you decry so much about ... 

Those are the simple realities of our current world. As long as scarcity exists then the value of hard labour will not ever diminish so the idea of employee welfare coexisting with pro-consumerism is a fairy tale. If we have to make a hardline choice between the two then pro-consumerism is the far more ethical and just path when it can only be the customers who hold the workers accountable for the value they provide. Employee welfare is no better than rent-seeking behaviour which only seeks to increase the share of one's wealth without creating new wealth by one's self. Selfishness among consumers breed competitive pressure, however, selfishness among employees only breeds complacency ... 

fatslob-:O said: 

For the most part they hardly do and who cares if Rockstar's former lead director left them ? When in game development it's not about the superstar, it's about the team and a visionary is nothing without a good team when we take Itagaki as an example for pushing out trash like Devil's Third while his former studio returned to greatness by releasing Nioh. Why change the system when it worked in providing good value for the money ? 

Human sacrifice is necessary and money is the contract between the producer and the consumer. Is producing sub-par products and not getting punished for it but instead is rewarded for it supposed to make the customers happy ? What happened to developers being only as good as their last game ? 

The idea of pro-consumerism is not compatible with employee welfare since the former is about getting most value out of the latter rather than vice versa and this is something every social democrat needs to ponder about instead of showing duplicity about it ...

Late reply, iv been flat out working. Better late than never.

@Bald - Human Sacrifice is not necessary to create great products. Rockstar isn't exactly poor and there games don't exactly undersell. These issues are easily solved with Rockstar hiring more employee's to take the load off the current employees, except instead of them spending money for peoples health, they force them to work or leave. That is not the right mindset a business should have on anyone. 

No one in here hating on the quality of there products, but they can achieve the same level of quality if greed wasn't there main factor point in this.

Kerotan said:

I've been in the military so I've done a hell of a lot harder for a hell of a lot less money. Should we boycott countries because their armies overwork and underpay? 

Let me give you a couple examples here. If the shoes you were wearing made by unpaid slave labour somewhere in the middle east, and the quality is good, you wouldn't care because the shoes are great?

Another example would be if your kids, wife or family were working for a high end brand, and that brand tortured them during busy periods not allowing them the right to there life would you still not care? 

That's what I gathered reading your posts and that's how you sound to me.

Glad you are supporting RDR2, but lets not give credit to acts like this. As I mentioned above, Rockstar can achieve the same heights by simply spending more on there staff rather than just threating them.

Azzanation said:

For the most part they hardly do and who cares if Rockstar's former lead director left them ? When in game development it's not about the superstar, it's about the team and a visionary is nothing without a good team when we take Itagaki as an example for pushing out trash like Devil's Third while his former studio returned to greatness by releasing Nioh. Why change the system when it worked in providing good value for the money ? 

Human sacrifice is necessary and money is the contract between the producer and the consumer. Is producing sub-par products and not getting punished for it but instead is rewarded for it supposed to make the customers happy ? What happened to developers being only as good as their last game ? 

The idea of pro-consumerism is not compatible with employee welfare since the former is about getting most value out of the latter rather than vice versa and this is something every social democrat needs to ponder about instead of showing duplicity about it ...

@Bald - Human Sacrifice is not necessary to create great products. Rockstar isn't exactly poor and there games don't exactly undersell. These issues are easily solved with Rockstar hiring more employee's to take the load off the current employees, except instead of them spending money for peoples health, they force them to work or leave. That is not the right mindset a business should have on anyone. 

No one in here hating on the quality of there products, but they can achieve the same level of quality if greed wasn't there main factor point in this.

Kerotan said:

Let me give you a couple examples here. If the shoes you were wearing made by unpaid slave labour somewhere in the middle east, and the quality is good, you wouldn't care because the shoes are great?

Another example would be if your kids, wife or family were working for a high end brand, and that brand tortured them during busy periods not allowing them the right to there life would you still not care? 

That's what I gathered reading your posts and that's how you sound to me.

Glad you are supporting RDR2, but lets not give credit to acts like this. As I mentioned above, Rockstar can achieve the same heights by simply spending more on there staff rather than just threating them.

That's not what I'm talking about but you know what in reality myself and most don't care. I do zero research into the origins of my clothes and shoes before buying. If i cared I'd do research. And BTW most consumers just buy without looking it up so I'm far from alone. 

Kerotan said:

That's not what I'm talking about but you know what in reality myself and most don't care. I do zero research into the origins of my clothes and shoes before buying. If i cared I'd do research. And BTW most consumers just buy without looking it up so I'm far from alone. 

That is fine, no one is asking you to do research on everything you consider buying. However you know what's going down at Rockstar and you are shrugging it off like who should care, because you have a great product out of it. 
Its just like saying who cares about the marriages it breaks, the new born babies not seeing there mums and dads etc. As a gaming community we need to speak up and not accept this behaviour or companies like Rockstar, CD Project Red and Naughty Dog will continue this behaviour and will eventually fall under lawsuits and high end staff leaving. That's something we don't want to happen for there next games.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

Kerotan said:

That is fine, no one is asking you to do research on everything you consider buying. However you know what's going down at Rockstar and you are shrugging it off like who should care, because you have a great product out of it. 
Its just like saying who cares about the marriages it breaks, the new born babies not seeing there mums and dads etc. As a gaming community we need to speak up and not accept this behaviour or companies like Rockstar, CD Project Red and Naughty Dog will continue this behaviour and will eventually fall under lawsuits and high end staff leaving. That's something we don't want to happen for there next games.

Well it's not slave labour that's for sure. So I can easily shrug it off. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
potato_hamster said:

Yeah, that's not true either. Nintendo of Japan has also done its fair share of firing/laying off people over the years. And I can also give plenty of examples of other Japanese video game companies lay off people and/or high up employees jumping ship (Kojima says hello!)

Perhaps you should stop with the generalizations.

Yeah you've just got one real example there with Kojima. And that was him jumping ship, not him getting laid off. If you could provide multiple examples of Nintendo of Japan laying off their corporate Japanese workers, I'd be inclined to agree with you. And keep in mind we are talking about employees of Nintendo, not of another company. So don't go pointing to some contractors that Nintendo hired for TGS or something like that. 

Kojima was abused and forced to quit.

Sony have been doing reestructuring and laying off (you can even see their balance on this very site) for over 5 years on a consistent basis. So although japanese companies usually keep employees for life that isn't a rule for all, not even Nintendo as much as you love them.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

method114 said:
Baddman said:
One quote I've heard from multiple people is from a manager telling staff who did complain: "If you don't like it, fuck off and work down Tesco's."

I would've quit on the spot

I would have quit before that. I love my job. I feel luckyblessedprivileged whatever word you want to put on it to do what I do. I would never be ok with working this much not only because of my family but because I need my own time for BJJ and Weightlifting. On top of playing video games. 

I feel bad for these people being overworked like that. I don't get why the company wouldn't just hire more people if they have so much over time. I work 47 hours a  week and even with as much as I love my job when Friday comes I'm ready to go home and do my own thing.

Hiring temporaries for a very short time on a very specialized function usually isn't a good idea, the time you'll expend teaching and managing will overthrow the gain in manpower.

Still dev usually hire and let go based on the phase of the project, so they are hiring a lot. Just probably found out that the best profit margin for then would come from over heating their employees for a short burst than hiring more hands and laying off.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Azzanation said:

Human sacrifice is absolutely necessary to make better products. Heck, labour is necessary to be productive. I can't fathom why you can't understand this when you yourself have job ... 

The contract is not between Rockstar and their employees. It's a contract between Rockstar's employees and their customers because ultimately it's not Rockstar who compensates their employees, it's the consumers and Rockstar is just a middleman figure who represents their employees and if they don't like the working conditions offered then they can leave for better working conditions ... 

Don't blame the studio since it's just another faceless company that isn't alive. Games are becoming lower in value inherently which means that being a game developer isn't all that special anymore so the only way to hold consumers accountable is by demanding more value out of them for your work like how big pharma does when they charge high prices for their blockbuster specialty drugs which usually have a smaller pool of customers ... (I don't see consumers here praising big pharma one bit for their amazing working conditions and instead of drug research scientists being hailed as the heroes their reviled as a bunch of villains while the invaluable game developers are given more pity here) 

High prices mean that customers care more about your work and low prices mean that customers care less about your work so that's the way how it'll work in real life ...  

Human sacrifice is absolutely necessary to make better products. Heck, labour is necessary to be productive. I can't fathom why you can't understand this when you yourself have job ... 

The contract is not between Rockstar and their employees. It's a contract between Rockstar's employees and their customers because ultimately it's not Rockstar who compensates their employees, it's the consumers and Rockstar is just a middleman figure who represents their employees and if they don't like the working conditions offered then they can leave for better working conditions ... 

Don't blame the studio since it's just another faceless company that isn't alive. Games are becoming lower in value inherently which means that being a game developer isn't all that special anymore so the only way to hold consumers accountable is by demanding more value out of them for your work like how big pharma does when they charge high prices for their blockbuster specialty drugs which usually have a smaller pool of customers ... (I don't see consumers here praising big pharma one bit for their amazing working conditions and instead of drug research scientists being hailed as the heroes their reviled as a bunch of villains while the invaluable game developers are given more pity here) 

High prices mean that customers care more about your work and low prices mean that customers care less about your work so that's the way how it'll work in real life ...  

Maybe human sacifice isnt the right term to use here. 

Quality comes with more man hours, i agree with that, however to achieve more man hours is as simple as hiring out more people. Forcing staff to work beyond there expectations is not required in the modern days, thats all greed which we should not just accept.

I can expect this kind of stuff happening with smaller struggling businesses but not the top of the food chain companies. Sadly its a common thrend across the board because companies are focusing more on the dollar and less on the morals. 

Its easy to over work employees and its harder to achieve company goals in its deadlines. Thats where the true talent is.

My point is Rockstar could have made RDR2 as good as it is now without the bad practices but they choosed to go the way of greed.