By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry: Red Dead Redemption 2 Analysis

Dang that's what I call a Quickdraw, too fast for me lol, will watch this later.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Around the Network

Higher resolution than I was expecting. Was expecting 1440p for pro, 1800p for X. Both are higher.

Wow... double the resolution AND better frames rates on X? That makes the decision a no brainier for me. On paper the X doesn't seem 2X as powerful as the Pro but I guess Rockstar just proved that it is.

26 - 30 fps. Fuck that, I'll wait for the PC version. =P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Impressive for XBX, native 4K resolution.

Around the Network

It's interesting the pattern that Xbox One games have followed. Early in the generation it was running at resolutions barely above the 360/PS3. Mid-generation, developers were getting the hang of properly making use of the system's eDRAM and brought game resolutions to near-parity with the base PS4, usually just with some sacrifices in graphical detail and/or frame rate. Now that the One X is out, developers seem to have given up on optimizing for the original model, and we're seeing it starting to really fall behind again.

What I said on Eurogamer:

As expected and rather underwhelming. The idea of the pro consoles delivering more detail, better textures, more effects, longer draw distances etc has apparently completely been abandoned. Even HDR seems to be on the back burner, it's only mentioned once in the tech review as couldn't find much of a benefit for now.

So it's a simple resolution difference and more stable frame rate. Is that really worth upgrading for?

When the pro consoles were about to launch it was all about enhancements, what do you get extra on the pro console. Ports like tomb raider had extra features enabled and more games had a choice between performance and picture quality. Basically what we have here is no extras, which does allow to get the biggest resolution differences between the platforms. What I'm kinda disappointed in is to read was this: However, in terms of the common feature set across all systems, I'm not sure HDR is providing much in the way of a tangible benefit, and certainly the calibration system is limited. HDR has a much bigger impact than a higher pixel count.

So while the resolution difference is certainly noticeable, I find it quite disappointing that that's all the pro consoles have going for them.

Anyway bring on the game, will pick it up tomorrow. Without HDR providing any benefits I won't have to bother removing the breakout box every time. hdmi 1.4 is plenty for 4k checkerboard.

OdinHades said:

I waited for the PC release of GTA5 and it was worth to hold on and avoid buying the console versions back last gen.

CuCabeludo said:
OdinHades said:

I waited for the PC release of GTA5 and it was worth to hold on and avoid buying the console versions back last gen.

Yeah, I'm not so much a graphics guy, but I sure do love mah Framerates! Anything below 30 fps is just unacceptable to me in 2018. Even 30 fps is just barely enjoyable imo. 

Whatever, I can wait a year or two, I have more than enough games on my pile of shame. ^^

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:
CuCabeludo said:

Yeah, I'm not so much a graphics guy, but I sure do love mah Framerates! Anything below 30 fps is just unacceptable to me in 2018. Even 30 fps is just barely enjoyable imo. 

Whatever, I can wait a year or two, I have more than enough games on my pile of shame. ^^

yeah, having smooth frame (at least 60FPS) rates is a priority for me too.