By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 128gb PS5? Is it a possibility?

Ps5 RAM

16GB RAM 46 45.54%

24GB RAM 15 14.85%

32gb RAM 34 33.66%

128GB RAM 6 5.94%

Total:101

Surely not less than 16GB, but due to all the problems RAM had, stopping its price drops or even increasing its price in the worst periods, we can be quite sure that if it won't be launched later than 2021, it won't have more than 32GB either.
It could work well both for production costs and devs' needs if the base model will have 16 or 20 or 24GB (at most, and less likely, maybe more likely for later base models) and the first premium model 24 or 32GB. Total, main + graphics RAM. I wouldn't rule out that on top of those amount of fast RAM for gaming and essential parts of the OS that must be quick to not become a bottleneck, it could also have 2 to 4GB of cheap and slower RAM dedicated to a cheap mobile secondary CPU used for lightweight OS tasks and services, HW supervising, security, communications, etc, whatever could be done slower without bottlenecking games. Such secondary CPUs are already used, and they already get dedicated cheap RAM on premium models, next gen they could have it on base models too.
In this case it could be 18 or 22GB total for the base models and 26GB for the first premium one (every launch model would have 2GB cheap secondary RAM), while later premium models could have 36GB total (4GB secondary RAM).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Taking into consideration that the gens seem to be getting a little bit longer as we go, if they dropped a PS4 Premium in 2019, making the gen 9 years total, then you just might see a 128GB PS5 in 2022, but there would be better ways to divvy up those funds instead of allocating so much to the RAM.

The only reason it would need that amount of memory would be if the system was going to be a virtualization server capable of running instances of the console on all the devices in your house.... at the same time. processor to go with it would need to be in the 5 digit region and not something like the Ryzen 25XX that it will more than likely have.

This amount of memory would be pointless... well it would have one point, make the system either completely unmarketable from a price point of view... or just be a box which happened to contain a massive extra compartment of unused obsolete DDR2 sticks of ram simply to be able to claim the system had that amount in it.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

phinch1 said:
Qwark said:

Probably 16GB, it has to fit in a €400 plastic box, the Xone released last year for €500 with 12GB of RAM.

They can fit 8gb RAM in a mobile phone 

but how much is that mobile phone? You're looking at $580+ for a phone with that amount realistically, machines with outstanding amounts of memory are not the norm which consumers (especially ones with price in mind) would ever go for, if Sony was to try to push a system which was that far ahead in terms of storage it would have people shudder and think of the ps3 being totted as more powerful than supercomputers at the time it launched to justify its massive price point.

A moderately high end gaming PC right now could happily get by with 16/11GB memory and that's something which contains a 1080TI sure you can put far more system memory into a PC but very few games are going to consume more than 16GB of system RAM in the real world... keep in mind, that would be a PC containing a $600-700 graphics card... before adding in anything else to the case. It would be unsellable as a console.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Farsala said:
alabtrosMyster said:

That guy has amazing shopping skills... I don't even think they carry 32GB laptops in any store near me, it's hard to find one that has more than 8GB.

Where you from? My laptop is capable of 32gb RAM, of course it only came with 8GB. The upgrade wouldn't be too expensive, and I managed to get it for $900.

things being capable of it and shipping with it are 2 different things, My PC is capable of having a Petabyte of storage, that doesn't mean that amazon sells PC's with a Petabyte of storage.

I'm just saying, does the store you purchased your laptop from actually stock ones which come with 32gb of RAM as standard?

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
Farsala said:

Where you from? My laptop is capable of 32gb RAM, of course it only came with 8GB. The upgrade wouldn't be too expensive, and I managed to get it for $900.

things being capable of it and shipping with it are 2 different things, My PC is capable of having a Petabyte of storage, that doesn't mean that amazon sells PC's with a Petabyte of storage.

I'm just saying, does the store you purchased your laptop from actually stock ones which come with 32gb of RAM as standard?

They don't appear to sell 16gb ram sticks along with my GPU, but it is quite a simple upgrade and isn't much of an expense. True expense comes from the GPU, which is where most of my budget went into.

For the more expensive GPUs they of course offer 32gb RAM and even 64gb RAM to keep up. But with both GPU and RAM being upgraded, the price obviously skyrockets.

Farsala said:
Ganoncrotch said:

They don't appear to sell 16gb ram sticks along with my GPU, but it is quite a simple upgrade and isn't much of an expense. True expense comes from the GPU, which is where most of my budget went into.

For the more expensive GPUs they of course offer 32gb RAM and even 64gb RAM to keep up. But with both GPU and RAM being upgraded, the price obviously skyrockets.

I'm guessing to the point where you could buy a stack of PS4's and X1's :D

I really hope Sony learned their lessons from the ps3 and avoid the "future proofed supercomputer" and stick with the PS4's mantra of moderately powerful all the curves in the right places type machine with a price point just as sweet as the performance, gotta find that sweet spot again and gamers will flock to it.

ResilientFighter said:
OdinHades said:

Depends on prices. If RAM is as expensive as it is now in 2020, I'll expect no more than 32 GB. If the prices get cheaper, I can imagine a PS5 with 64 GB.

Anything below that would be a disappointment. The console is supposed to last for five years or so. And even my Laptop, which I bought last year and isn't even high-end, has 32 GB RAM + 8 GB VRAM. So anything below 32 GB isn't enough to be declared Next-Gen in my book.

holy shit how much did your laptop cost? alienware 16 gb ram runs from 1000-2000 new so...

1.175 € with an i7-7700HQ and a Geforce GTX 1070. Moah Powah than an Xbox One X in a laptop! =D

It was on sale though. I think the normal price was 1.599 €. And yes, I know that's way way more expensive than a console can possibly be. But as I said, I expect the PS5 to release no sooner than 2020 and by then 32 GB should be the standard.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

High end laptops that cost 3000$ - 5000$ don’t even have that kind of ram.

What y’all been smoking thinking a 400$/500$ Device would have that kind of ram?

phinch1 said:
Qwark said:

Probably 16GB, it has to fit in a €400 plastic box, the Xone released last year for €500 with 12GB of RAM.

They can fit 8gb RAM in a mobile phone 

And phones are more expensive than consoles...What the fuck even is this post LOL