By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 128gb PS5? Is it a possibility?

Ps5 RAM

16GB RAM 46 45.54%

24GB RAM 15 14.85%

32gb RAM 34 33.66%

128GB RAM 6 5.94%

Total:101

While 16 GB of RAM seems sufficient, game requirements will only increase more and more. To future-proof the consoles, going for 32 GB would be ideal, especially if several applications were to run simultaneously. But maybe Sony and the rest don't want to future-proof. Maybe they just want to lower costs and release a new console on a 7 year lifespan.

I'm sure they'll go with 16 for its cost-effectiveness.

Around the Network

16 GB for gameing, and another 4gb stick dedicated to the non gameing stuff.

I dont think 32gb is smart, they want to keep prices of these things as low as possible and I dont think that much ram is needed.

phinch1 said:

PS1 2MB 

PS2 32MB

PS3 512MB

PS4 8GB 

PS5?? 

All previous sony consoles have jumped 16x RAM Each time

No they didn't. Where you went wrong is where you aren't including all the Ram in your "list".

phinch1 said:
but I can't see the PS5 having 128gb of RAM, what are we looking at realistically? 16GB RAM, 12GB For developers and 4GB for the system

With the price of DRAM today, 16GB is likely the most realistic point. Will not be anymore than 32GB.

Megiddo said:

What model is your laptop? Would love to see how much over $500 its MSRP is.

Laptops devalue quickly. It should be about $500 by the time 2020 rolls around.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Probably 32GB shared memory, I can't really see why any game or gaming system in the next 8 years would need 128gb of memory. The OS will still need about 3/4GB, and lets say 8GB for background tasks, 24GB for games is way more than enough.

GPU/CPU is probably more interesting, I think it'll be about 1080 equivalent for a 2020 release, with about a Ryzen 7 2700 equivalent cpu.

128GB is just not going to happen, period.
If it's impossible for the PC to have affordably, then it's impossible for consoles.

So... GPU wise you are expecting nothing less than a Vega 64 equivalent part?

NextGen_Gamer said:

However, ONLY getting double the memory bandwidth on a 256-bit bus is kind of the absolute bare minimum Sony should do. They should really move to 16Gb GDDR6 chips AND a 384-bit bus, ala Xbox One X, which would bring the total to 24GB of memory. That would also bring the system to 672GB/sec of bandwidth using the bargain-basement 14Gbps GDDR6 speed. Yes, I said bargain-basement - it may be state-of-the-art right now in the GeForce RTX series, but 14Gbps is the minimum GDDR6 official speed. By 2020 when PS5 releases, NVIDIA and AMD will be on 18 and 20Gbps, and the 14Gbps will be used for the budget cards.

By doing so would require more intricate power delivery, more traces on the PCB and more PCB layers which drives up costs.
The Xbox One X could get away with it as it's not a console that was ever going to drop down to super low price points during it's lifetime.

Besides, there would be more than a doubling of usable bandwidth anyway, even if the bandwidth numbers on paper was only a doubling.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

16gb seems most likely, especially if its a new memory type which costs more.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

PS5 needs to be relevant until 2028, 32 GB should do that. The OS also needs to be native 4K with 4K60 video game play recording and improved multitasking. The OS will probably eat up 8GB of memory if not more.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
32 or 64.
Also your poll lacks the 64 option.

They should go with 64, but I'm still trying to convice Sony on that.
They want 32 right now, but I'll keep trying.

128 is out of question.

And if they go with 64, they should call it PlayStation 64. That would be hilarious.

LMAOOO 128gb hahaha the price would make people drop there face to where their belly button is xD
I say it will be either 24 or 32 max

Last edited by ResilientFighter - on 15 October 2018

OdinHades said:

Depends on prices. If RAM is as expensive as it is now in 2020, I'll expect no more than 32 GB. If the prices get cheaper, I can imagine a PS5 with 64 GB.

Anything below that would be a disappointment. The console is supposed to last for five years or so. And even my Laptop, which I bought last year and isn't even high-end, has 32 GB RAM + 8 GB VRAM. So anything below 32 GB isn't enough to be declared Next-Gen in my book.

holy shit how much did your laptop cost? alienware 16 gb ram runs from 1000-2000 new so...

16 or 24

Depends on release date, but 32gb seems good since that is what my computer is capable of. GPU will be more interesting.