By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CAPCOM plans to release multliple AAA titles each fisical year

Capcom is riding high off the release of Monster Hunter: World, and it is looking to continue that success with 2019’s Resident Evil 2 and Devil May Cry 5. With such a steady stream of high-profile releases, the Japanese publisher is planning to capitalize on that momentum by making annual releases of some of its core franchises.

In its annual report to shareholders, Capcom projected a 45.9% growth by 2022. To attain that goal, Capcom has outlined some strategies to pursue the needs to existing consumers, while also attracting new ones. Part of this strategy involves a more steady stream of releases year-to-year.

In the report, Capcom said it has “shortened the launch cycle” for its major franchises, allowing for “the launch of major multiple titles each fiscal year.” Resident Evil, Street Fighter, and Monster Hunter were some of the franchises namechecked in the report.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/10/12/capcom-annual-releases-planned-core-ip/

Around the Network

Great, so Capcom games will keep getting worse like AC and COD games have, as well as every other annual release franchise.

I think with Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter World, Mega Man 11, Devil May Cry 5, and REmake 2, Capcom is back on track. Plus, I think I remember hearing the head director of the Monster Hunter games was also going to be taking over supervising their fighting games.

...It just REALLY sucks that DMCV has microtransactions, especially when Monster Hunter has good DLC practices (albeit cosmetic transactions).

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I think with Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter World, Mega Man 11, Devil May Cry 5, and REmake 2, Capcom is back on track. Plus, I think I remember hearing the head director of the Monster Hunter games was also going to be taking over supervising their fighting games.

...It just REALLY sucks that DMCV has microtransactions, especially when Monster Hunter has good DLC practices (albeit cosmetic transactions).

I really think from reading through the annual  Capcom PDF (Page 24)  they mention about a change in their model to sound like their plans for DMC5 will be their standard going forward with most/all of their franchises.

"To establish solid growth strategies and further enhance corporate value, there are two risks that are critical to address; first, I will talk about the stable growth mechanism (control of earnings volatility risks) To mitigate earnings volatility risks over the medium-to-long term, measures enabling sustainable growth must include (1) transforming the foundation of our Consumer business model from a traditional one-time sale “transactional model” to a continuous“recurring revenue model” and (2) creating a business portfolio and diversifying earnings risks by thoroughly leveraging Capcom’s basic strategy, Single Content Multiple Usage. "

Just give me my RE2 Remake, and work on a RE3 Remake as well. That would be grand.

Around the Network

I wish they made some games that I like.

WoodenPints said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I really think from reading through the annual  Capcom PDF (Page 24)  they mention about a change in their model to sound like their plans for DMC5 will be their standard going forward with most/all of their franchises.

"To establish solid growth strategies and further enhance corporate value, there are two risks that are critical to address; first, I will talk about the stable growth mechanism (control of earnings volatility risks) To mitigate earnings volatility risks over the medium-to-long term, measures enabling sustainable growth must include (1) transforming the foundation of our Consumer business model from a traditional one-time sale “transactional model” to a continuous“recurring revenue model” and (2) creating a business portfolio and diversifying earnings risks by thoroughly leveraging Capcom’s basic strategy, Single Content Multiple Usage. "

Oof ... that sucks. 

I have heard DMCV's microtransactions are similar to 4's microtransactions (for the remaster) which are supposedly not that egregious ... but still ... ugh.

It makes sense because pretty much everything that hasn't been a AAA title released by Capcom has not done particularly well, see the most recent Media Create chart for Megaman 11 for example.

Goodbye quality then.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Was happy after the title. Was unhappy after reading the text. Multiple big releases are good, but annualizing your IPs is a bad practice. Give every title it's own idea and it's own time. Let the teams work something else in between, so they get fresh ideas. But just make your successful games a formula will make them gradually less successful. Yearly game releases are fine for sports titles or even multiplayer titles in some way. Although for both I would prefer updates until a bigger jump. But for single player games you need something substantial, an idea that makes this title different (even in a small sense) from others in the series. Clever for Darksiders by the way, they exchange the main character every time and give it different characteristic, so gameplay feels different. It doesn't need to be this big, but something new and different should be there.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]