By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
RaptorChrist said:
I'm an American, so I don't really know a lot about what's going on in Brazil, but I read the OP's post and just don't get it. If what you're saying is true, about him being homophobic, sexist, etcetera, then why did 62% of people in your town vote for him? Perhaps you are being fed biased information and once you open your mind to the situation as a whole you'll understand why the majority of your peers are giving him their vote.

It's a well known fact Bolsonaro's rise stems from people that are concerned about rising crime, inflation and unemployment.

If OP was that concerned about common Brazilian people, he'd also be worried about those issues which affect every corner of the country. Alas, apparently the biggest issue in Brazil today is homophobia and some potential, possible turn to "fascism". (Cause there isn't a lower and upper house and millions of Brazilians that oppose Bolsonaro).

Around the Network
RaptorChrist said:
I'm an American, so I don't really know a lot about what's going on in Brazil, but I read the OP's post and just don't get it. If what you're saying is true, about him being homophobic, sexist, etcetera, then why did 62% of people in your town vote for him? Perhaps you are being fed biased information and once you open your mind to the situation as a whole you'll understand why the majority of your peers are giving him their vote.

In short, he is being fed biased information by the opposition, which is an attempt to destroy his image.The saddest thing is that people are buying into this lie.Anyway, if you have the pacience and the time to read it, I give a very brief summary about the current scenario in Brazil in this post:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8900385

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Kalkano said:
mZuzek said:

I live in Brazil, and if you know anything about what's going on in Brazil, well, basically we are on the verge of electing a fascist as president. He's racist, homophobic, sexist, highly religious, well, you know... all the usual stuff.

That right there is the problem, but the problem is YOU!  Every time someone like you spouts all of that crap, you get eyerolls in response, because WE DON'T BELIEVE YOU!  Now, admittedly, I know nothing about the guy you're referring to.  But, I've seen those accusations thrown at absolutely everyone, and they are ALMOST NEVER TRUE.  You've cried wolf WAY too many times. 

I actually just recently saw a YouTube video that described this phenomenon perfectly.  Not sure if you'll actually sit there and watch it, but here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwfEsrlEKcc

Basically, it's just a bunch a "evil labels" being slapped on people for political gain.  It's all complete BS.

It is mostly all BS.Its all propaganda and distortions of the truth created by the opposition in an attempt to destroy his image.Some of this idea that Bolsonaro is homophobic and racist come from statements that are completely taken out of context from things he said.Even if some things he said was said in an unfortunate way and could have been better elaborated, he never went even close to saying he hates one group.Other statements like he being a facist and somehow wants to stabilish a dictatorship is pure fantasy, and you can see reading through this thread, as a reason for some thinking this will happen is because he was a former..... military.Yeah, thats it.Anyway, if you have time, I have made s small summary about the current situation in Brazil:

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

cronotose said:
When you use "religious" as a negative qualifier on its own, sorry, you've lost my sympathy. You've shown yourself to be the trashy bigot in the room.

Yeah, its mostly exagerration.Here, if you have the time, I have made a "small" summary about the situation in Brazil.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Unfortunately, living in America, it's hard to tell how much or how little of this is exaggeration. I think you will find that most Americans will shrug you off, particularly around the time you started listing """"buzz words"""" (a.k.a. completely valid descriptors that people discredit) is when most checked out. I have heard similar things about Trump and they are for the most part exaggerated. But I don't know about your situation. Sorry you're sad, Mzuzek. Very sorry.

If you want a bit of context, here is a small summary of Brazil current situation.Knowing what both sides are saying of one another gives you a better picture of the situation and maybe you can draw conclusions of your own.

Around the Network
Metallox said:
Can tell you that you shouldn't feel bad at all because, to begin with, the election of Bolsonaro won't have anything to do with you at least in the middle term. Furthermore, if he plans to promote his platform, he'll need the support of the legislative cameras and the population as a whole, and thus he'll need to deal with the opposition, of which you'll need to cooperate a lot in the years to come.

On top of that, think of why a lot of people decided to elect him, it's not precisely because of his political views, it's because he's the strongest alternative against the laborist parties, most of which are considered corrupt nowadays.
Metallox said:
While it's true that 62% of the voters don't care about Bolsonaro's extremist views, I think it's important to note that a lot of them aren't necessarily ok with them, which is an important distinction. The economic crisis, corruption, increase in violence, these are all factors that made people sick of the PT

People should remember how Hitler actually came to power and what they said about him and the NSDAP in the beginning. Simply by elections and coalitions. And most people back then were pissed with other parties, desolate economy and things like this. Most Germans simply wanted jobs and yes, some strong alternative for change. Germans weren't more racist than French or British, a few years later Europe lay in ruins and millions of people, again millions of them jews, had been killed.

Yet in 1933 many Germans weren't necessarily ok with Hitler extremist views. But way too many elected him and his party.

Nautilus said:

It is mostly all BS.Its all propaganda and distortions of the truth created by the opposition in an attempt to destroy his image.Some of this idea that Bolsonaro is homophobic and racist come from statements that are completely taken out of context from things he said.Even if some things he said was said in an unfortunate way and could have been better elaborated, he never went even close to saying he hates one group.Other statements like he being a facist and somehow wants to stabilish a dictatorship is pure fantasy, and you can see reading through this thread, as a reason for some thinking this will happen is because he was a former..... military.Yeah, thats it.Anyway, if you have time, I have made s small summary about the current situation in Brazil:

"In an interview with Playboy magazine in December 2011, Bolsonaro said that he "would be incapable of loving a homosexual son."

"I would prefer my son to die in an accident than show up with a mustachioed man," he said."

I don't really see how that can be explained away...

Well hang in there the US is surviving Trump who isn't much better. Also I'm not an expert on Brazilian history and politics but didn't you have and survived worse politicians already. Plus you had a military government for almost 21 years from 1964 through 1985 so I don't think that the new guy can be much worse then that.

sundin13 said:
Nautilus said:

"In an interview with Playboy magazine in December 2011, Bolsonaro said that he "would be incapable of loving a homosexual son."

"I would prefer my son to die in an accident than show up with a mustachioed man," he said."

I don't really see how that can be explained away...

First of all, its been 7 years.People change over the course of time.Second, As I have already said in my summary which you probably didnt read, Im not sugarcoating the things that he did say that werent appropriate or even right.This is one of them.It was a sad statement and that was it.I do believe, at least now for this scenario that was proposed to him, his stance on homosexuals is that he has nothing against them, and respects them.He just prefers that his son would be straight so that not only it would allign with his views but also would allow him to have grandchildren.And there is a difference betwenn accepting homosexuality, and respecting homosexuality.I think every needs to respect it, as in respect that one person made the decision to be homosexual.You dont need to like it, you just need to respect that person personal decision.I have many gay friends that also agree with me on this.And I mean, he already went on record time and time again on why he would go out of his way to make lifes of homosexuals harder if he has much bigger and actual problems to solve?

Anyway, thats not even the most important.The really sad thing is that, when people come to support Bolsonaro, the reasons they list why they support him is because of all his government proposals.Economical, educational, security related and whatnot.But when it comes to the supporters of Haddad and PT, the reasons they support him are usually because they think that Bolsonaro is "homphobic, racist, sexist" and whatnot, as if a president is some kind of celebrity and not a manager, and barely list any proposal as to why they find PT government proposal any good.Just saying.

Kalkano said:
mZuzek said:

I live in Brazil, and if you know anything about what's going on in Brazil, well, basically we are on the verge of electing a fascist as president. He's racist, homophobic, sexist, highly religious, well, you know... all the usual stuff.

That right there is the problem, but the problem is YOU!  Every time someone like you spouts all of that crap, you get eyerolls in response, because WE DON'T BELIEVE YOU!  Now, admittedly, I know nothing about the guy you're referring to.  But, I've seen those accusations thrown at absolutely everyone, and they are ALMOST NEVER TRUE.  You've cried wolf WAY too many times. 

I actually just recently saw a YouTube video that described this phenomenon perfectly.  Not sure if you'll actually sit there and watch it, but here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwfEsrlEKcc

Basically, it's just a bunch a "evil labels" being slapped on people for political gain.  It's all complete BS.

LOL if you have half a brain you can figure out in less than a minute that video is nothing more then bullshit right wing propaganda.  On top of all its bullshit sales pitch for a shitty right wing propaganda book.  If you really believe that video you might as well go out and buy a lifetime supply of tinfoil hats already.