Here in Brazil we always end up having to choose between the devil and the antichrist, because for some stupid reason the majority of the population only wants to vote for the candidates that represent the far left and right, with the rest of the candidates being labeled as weak and/or unfit to be president.

"lupus in fabula, venit enim ad me."

Translation: I will always hate Fox for canceling The Exorcist.

Around the Network
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
I'm brazilian too. Well, it's either him or Haddad. And Haddad means Lula again...

"Haddad and Lula 13" the newest PT slogan post 1st round elections that is circulating on the internet right now. Looks like Lula is Haddad's vice president. Laughable, Aecio at least dissapeared from the politics scene after all the corruption scandals involving him. Lula still is running at full throttle as if nothing has happened.

The more Haddad backs Lula in his campaihn more it hurts his chances of being elected.

morenoingrato said:
sethnintendo said:

Well of the 29 USA presidents that served in the military or militias I can only name 3 that were worth a damn.  George Washington, Theodore Roosevelt, and JFK.  3/29 is a pretty damn bad average.

I think the broader point is that the other 26 did not transform the States into a fascist dictatorship.

@collint0101 Don't feed him. He is clearly being off-topic and trying to spread his usual gospel.

No, but the United States have never been through a dictatorship. It's a different country, with different values. Brazil has already been through it, and not long ago either, meaning many of the people responsible for it are still around. Bolsonaro himself has defended the dictatorship on multiple occasions. In any case, electing a military general as vice-president, in this day and age... do you not find that notion absurdly obsolete, too?

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
I'm brazilian too. Well, it's either him or Haddad. And Haddad means Lula again...

Lula was a great president, Brazil had its best years in ages when he was there. I'm not defending him from everything else, of course. He's corrupt as fuck and so is his party, I really wish it didn't have to come down to this, I wish we had Ciro Gomes in the running. But as it is, unfortunately I have to pick the side of corruption because the other choice is the side of hatred.

mZuzek said:

Anyways... This is probably the first time in my life I've ever been truly depressed. I can't cheer up, I can't feel good about anything, I can't ease my consciousness with anything, in fact I can barely sleep some nights. It's been a few days and I continue to feel horrible. I'm terrified of what this country has become, terrified of the rampant fascism everywhere and even more terrified of the future. Furthermore, I'm also terrified about this seemingly being a somewhat global tendency, with countries like the USA, UK, Poland and more following similar political trends. People can think of nothing but violence and hate these days... Peace and love are seemingly dead last in everyone's priorities.

What rampant fascism in the US, UK, and Poland are you referencing?

I think that once the election and hysteria passes, things will return to more of a sense of normalcy.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Politics in Brazil are a self fulfilling prophecy, the people here don't vote for the less popular candidates because they don't think they have a chance to win, and so almost no one votes for them and we end up with the worst two options possible.

"lupus in fabula, venit enim ad me."

Translation: I will always hate Fox for canceling The Exorcist.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
mZuzek said:

Anyways... This is probably the first time in my life I've ever been truly depressed. I can't cheer up, I can't feel good about anything, I can't ease my consciousness with anything, in fact I can barely sleep some nights. It's been a few days and I continue to feel horrible. I'm terrified of what this country has become, terrified of the rampant fascism everywhere and even more terrified of the future. Furthermore, I'm also terrified about this seemingly being a somewhat global tendency, with countries like the USA, UK, Poland and more following similar political trends. People can think of nothing but violence and hate these days... Peace and love are seemingly dead last in everyone's priorities.

What rampant fascism in the US, UK, and Poland are you referencing?

I think that once the election and hysteria passes, things will return to more of a sense of normalcy.

By "similar political trends", I didn't mean "exactly the same". I'm referencing Trump, Brexit and Kaczynsci, of course. I'm not sure how much stuff will go back to normal after the elections, because a relative of mine moved to Poland recently with her partner, and they didn't even last a month over there because of the extreme prejudice they were faced with. Here, things will likely be worse because it's very likely gun ownership will become a thing, and I can assure you, Brazilians holding guns will not be very nice. Furthermore, the possibility of a dictatorship is quite likely, and if that happens, well, let's just say things won't return to normal at all. Maybe for a while, sure, but at some point "normal" will have a very different definition in Brazil.

I understand your sadness. Unfortunately, I do not see how things will improve in the near future. All I can say is that you are not alone. Many people are disturbed by events happening in the world, myself included.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
I understand your sadness. Unfortunately, I do not see how things will improve in the near future. All I can say is that you are not alone. Many people are disturbed by events happening in the world, myself included.

Thank you.

Masked_Muchaco said:
Here in Brazil we always end up having to choose between the devil and the antichrist, because for some stupid reason the majority of the population only wants to vote for the candidates that represent the far left and right, with the rest of the candidates being labeled as weak and/or unfit to be president.

It's so disheartening that Marina only got 1% of the votes. And just because she's not an extremist. That's so frustrating.

G O O D B O I

Masked_Muchaco said:
Politics in Brazil are a self fulfilling prophecy, the people here don't vote for the less popular candidates because they don't think they have a chance to win, and so almost no one votes for them and we end up with the worst two options possible.

That's what IBOPE does to people's heads...

G O O D B O I