By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony files trademark suggesting backwards compatibility for PS5

Do you really think Sony will include software emulation for the PS5?

Yes, definitely. From PS1 to PS4. 20 31.25%

Yes, except PS3 because o... 29 45.31%

Maybe. 10 15.63%

No, they won't. 5 7.81%

Total:64
PwerlvlAmy said:
just copy Microsoft and do it their way. I'm down with that.

But doesn't that get in the way of an expensive service like PS Now?

I don't think Sony is down with that. But that service is probably a failure as well... who knows.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
...only to take it out some time later. I don't trust them with BC.

This won't be a hardware based BC solution that was removed like it was with the PS3 as a cost cutting measure on one end, and it won't be omitted from the PS5 because the system architecture is radically different as it was with PS3 on the other end.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Emulation with texture-mods... can they really patent such a feature which has been available on PC for ages?

COKTOE said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
just copy Microsoft and do it their way. I'm down with that.

I have feeling that PS5 BC will be better than the piecemeal approach Microsoft is employing right now. 

Wasent the xbox BC a after thought after the hardware was already made? Since this is being implemented from the begining it has to be better. I would not doubt MS also has something better up their sleeves as well as doing game by game BC was nonsensical. To be fair I only think they actually whent throught with it was because of their lackluster first party, porting games would be a lot quicker to bolster the line up.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

i think ps5 going to have true backward compatibility(ps1-ps4) and not half assed like the current offering from nintendo playstation xbox.also give us option to install Linux or even windows so i can use ps5 as a PC and get rid of my actual huge bulky PC.

Around the Network

If true, then Sony is already going to kill it for their launch.

I dont think it'll have PS3 compatibility, but thats why Sony is doing enough PS3 to PS4 ports so at least the PS4 versions of the PS3 games can be played on PS5.

twintail said:
thismeintiel said:

This is very interesting. It seems like B/C, but it's also a system where devs can create higher res assets for those older games and have them effortlessly placed into the game. So, I wonder if they'll set it up where B/C is free, but can drop a couple of bucks for a hi-res pack. I'd be game for that.

Why would BC be free?

This emulation is still probably going to be subject to licensing 

If they are making it so you can put in your own discs, of course it'll be free.  It's pretty much guaranteed that is how PS4 games will work. I guess it is possible that the other systems will just use games off of the PS Store.

Mr Puggsly said:
thismeintiel said:

This is very interesting. It seems like B/C, but it's also a system where devs can create higher res assets for those older games and have them effortlessly placed into the game. So, I wonder if they'll set it up where B/C is free, but can drop a couple of bucks for a hi-res pack. I'd be game for that.

Wishful thinking.

Especially when you consider many remasters don't even improve the assets.

Unless the assets existed from the start like for a PC port, developers won't make the effort. If a studio cares enough to make new textures, its probably for a remaster. Not to improve a game via emulation.

The point is the option is there.  Sony will probably be the one that uses it the most.  Still, if they can prove it to be worth it financially, others will join.

Conina said:
Emulation with texture-mods... can they really patent such a feature which has been available on PC for ages?

For consoles? Probably.  MS patented playing music from the HDD in the background.

eva01beserk said:
COKTOE said:

I have feeling that PS5 BC will be better than the piecemeal approach Microsoft is employing right now. 

Wasent the xbox BC a after thought after the hardware was already made? Since this is being implemented from the begining it has to be better. I would not doubt MS also has something better up their sleeves as well as doing game by game BC was nonsensical. To be fair I only think they actually whent throught with it was because of their lackluster first party, porting games would be a lot quicker to bolster the line up.

Yes exactly. That's why it will be better. As will MS's next gen BC.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Damn these rumors make PS5 seem like the perfect Playstation console for the fans!

Dr.Vita said:
Damn these rumors make PS5 seem like the perfect Playstation console for the fans!

a.k.a. Paradise