By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony files trademark suggesting backwards compatibility for PS5

Do you really think Sony will include software emulation for the PS5?

Yes, definitely. From PS1 to PS4. 20 31.25%

Yes, except PS3 because o... 29 45.31%

Maybe. 10 15.63%

No, they won't. 5 7.81%

Total:64
Mr_No said:

It might be a new breed of emulation, but that's just me.

It's not.

Bristow9091 said:
Sounds like what the XBO does with X360 and original XBOX games where it displays games and textures at higher resolutions if they're available, which would make sense because most assets, more specifically textures, are created at a higher resolution than needed anyway... would be cool if they can get backwards compatibility working with all their previous home consoles.

Not exactly.
The main benefit you get is just the higher output resolution and better texture filtering which allows those old textures to really "pop" through. - Especially high frequency textures.

PwerlvlAmy said:
just copy Microsoft and do it their way. I'm down with that.

Can't. The Xbox One actually retains a few hardware features from the Xbox 360/Xbox to allow for easier backwards compatibility... Microsoft's Multi-OS approach also gives it a leg up here.

COKTOE said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
just copy Microsoft and do it their way. I'm down with that.

I have feeling that PS5 BC will be better than the piecemeal approach Microsoft is employing right now. 

To be fair... There is a crap ton of legal dodging that needs to be done... And that is all thanks to games using licensed assets like Music that expires.

Conina said:
Emulation with texture-mods... can they really patent such a feature which has been available on PC for ages?

Indeed. PC has prior art...  But is also an open platform.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

So you can patent playing games on a higher resolution now? Damn, why didn't Gaben think of this.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

twintail said:
vivster said:
So you can patent playing games on a higher resolution now? Damn, why didn't Gaben think of this.

its most likely just the specific way they are intending to do it, and not the actual idea itself.

That specific way they're doing it is going into the game files, giving it higher quality assets and then letting it run on a higher resolution. That they've encrypted each game shouldn't even fall into the equation.

Ground breaking.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

OTBWY said:
...only to take it out some time later. I don't trust them with BC.

Anyone else you don't trust? Personally Sony have made all the right moves when it matters the last 10 years. I see them doing it again by making ps5 fully bc with ps4. 

Yes, definitely. From PS1 to PS4.

Yes, except PS3 because o...

Chesus, what are you people smokin'?

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network

While I personally love bc, I can already hear people saying "I' didn't buy a PS5 to play PS4 games!" or "You should have hung on to your PS4."

Not something that is an issue for me.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

that would be welcomed change. loving it on the x1x, i doubt that it will be as good without ps3 support but still helps with ps4bc. at least that.

d21lewis said:
While I personally love bc, I can already hear people saying "I' didn't buy a PS5 to play PS4 games!" or "You should have hung on to your PS4."

Well, I sure won't buy a PS5 to play PS4 games. But then again, I wouldn't mind BC to be there. I mean it's not like I have to use it or something and more options are always good in my book.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:
d21lewis said:

Well, I sure won't buy a PS5 to play PS4 games. But then again, I wouldn't mind BC to be there. I mean it's not like I have to use it or something and more options are always good in my book.

Agreed. I never understood that line of thought. Sometimes older games are just fun to play. Convenience is important to me, too.