By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wall Street Journal Japan Reports A New Switch Model Will Release In The Second Half Of 2019

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Miyamotoo said:

Yes, in order to have lower price point, but that doesnt go against my point that when we talking about $250 and $230 price difference, we talking about almost non existent difference (we talking about less than 10% price difference).

Which is more than what a charger would have added to the cost of a New 3ds

Doesn't matter, you didn't had less than 10% price difference between some 3DS price points.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:

Which is more than what a charger would have added to the cost of a New 3ds

Doesn't matter, you didn't had less than 10% price difference between some 3DS price points.

???

Because you didn't have 3DS systems that were competing based on whether or not they had a charger 

The biggest reason to make two different price points for the same model (the Switch mini) is that the Switch at $300 with a dock included is at the price point of a one-per-household system. If Nintendo can bring that number down as early as possible while still making money on a unit they would be golden. 

You say that docks are priced at $80 but that doesn't really mean shit because that's not how much they cost to make, likely the $20 difference would already make Nintendo a profit. 

You are very obsessed with the % difference but again, we are talking about the same model. You are arguing this as if I said that the Switch Pro should be $320, the Switch $300 and the Switch mini $280. Which is not what i'm saying. I'm literally just saying that Nintendo could take out some quirks and price the Switch mini at an even lower value for those that only really want a cheap handheld. So I don't understand why you are so vehement against the point. And the $230 number is literally just something I pulled from my ass, could be $220, or $240, all depends on how the regular Switch mini is priced. 

The only reason we even have ideas like this though is because making the Switch compatible with a lot of budgets earlier on is what will make it rise to a multiple system per household kind of deal. 

But if you're just going to keep arguing that what I'm saying is unrealistic and won't happen ... then yes, I already know that. 

Miyamotoo said:

???

Because you didn't have 3DS systems that were competing based on whether or not they had a charger 

The biggest reason to make two different price points for the same model (the Switch mini) is that the Switch at $300 with a dock included is at the price point of a one-per-household system. If Nintendo can bring that number down as early as possible while still making money on a unit they would be golden. 

You say that docks are priced at $80 but that doesn't really mean shit because that's not how much they cost to make, likely the $20 difference would already make Nintendo a profit. 

You are very obsessed with the % difference but again, we are talking about the same model. You are arguing this as if I said that the Switch Pro should be $320, the Switch $300 and the Switch mini $280. Which is not what i'm saying. I'm literally just saying that Nintendo could take out some quirks and price the Switch mini at an even lower value for those that only really want a cheap handheld. So I don't understand why you are so vehement against the point. And the $230 number is literally just something I pulled from my ass, could be $220, or $240, all depends on how the regular Switch mini is priced. 

The only reason we even have ideas like this though is because making the Switch compatible with a lot of budgets earlier on is what will make it rise to a multiple system per household kind of deal. 

But if you're just going to keep arguing that what I'm saying is unrealistic and won't happen ... then yes, I already know that. 

Charger doesn't really matter, point is that is much small difference in price to make different price points.

Also I dont see point of two SKU-s, one of Switch Mini without dock and one Switch Mini with dock, point is to offer lower price point, so you will need almost certain only Switch Mini without dock but probably you could buy dock separate if you want. Also, with your SKUs offer, who on earth would buy Switch Mini whithout dock when just for $20 they have one with dock, while separate dock costs $80!?It doesn't make sense at all.

At end, in one point I could see something like this (but of course price points really depends from that one we could have this and how much costs will be down buy than):

-Switch Mini/Pocket (only without charger) - around $180

-Current Switch - around $250

-Switch Pro - $300

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 08 October 2018

BlackBeauty said:
(...)
- Better screen
- Better improved more efficient SOC (likely custom based the tegra X2 or higher)
- Better Battery life because of the two points above
- Double the ram 8GB (already leaked through firmware)
- More storage (we could see Nintendo introducing variants like 64gb and 128gb options)

There are many options for Nintendo, you're right.

Maybe there will be a price cut for the Switch-console in the first quarter of 2019 and then the official announcement ?! It would be possible, i think.

Are already new news from japan known ??

Around the Network
KazumaKiryu said:
Are already new news from japan known ??

I haven't heard  anything new info about that.

This is how I would do it.

Switch Lite (launches Spring/Summer 2019)
Die-shrink Tegra X1 chip to 14nm FinFet
Left/right bezels on Switch eliminated, resulting in smaller system (less width)
Less weight
60% increase in battery life

Price reduction to $249.99 for holiday 2019 with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or Breath of the Wild bundled (user's choice)

Switch Pro (March 2020)
7nm custom Nvidia Tegra (comparable to Apple A12X)
450-500 GFLOP undocked, 1.2 TFLOP docked
8GB RAM with 58GB/sec bandwidth
1080p 7.4 inch display, 128GB onboard flash storage
$349.99 MSRP

All Nintendo games run on both models, only difference if you have a Pro is the resolution will increase to 900p-1080p undocked and 1080p-1440p (4KTV required) docked. Same with the bulk of indie games.

Nintendo does allow for about 10-12 3rd party games per year that are Switch Pro only. Kingdom Hearts 3, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Call of Duty, GTAV, Dark Souls III, Fallout 76 in 2020. Goal is not to get every 3rd party PS4/XB1 title, just a few of the bigger ticket ones. Eventually this number will rise and Switch will transition over to Switch Pro as main model and Nintendo will start making some of their own games Switch Pro only (around holiday 2021). 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 09 November 2018

Soundwave said:

Left/right bezels on Switch eliminated, resulting in smaller system (less width)
Less weight

Price reduction to $249.99 for holiday 2019 with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or Breath of the Wild bundled (user's choice)

Switch Pro (March 2020)
$349.99 MSRP

All Nintendo games run on both models, only difference if you have a Pro is the resolution will increase to 900p-1080p undocked and 1080p-1440p (4KTV required) docked. Same with the bulk of indie games.

Nintendo does allow for about 10-12 3rd party games per year that are Switch Pro only. Kingdom Hearts 3, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Call of Duty, GTAV, Dark Souls III, Fallout 76 in 2020. Goal is not to get every 3rd party PS4/XB1 title, just a few of the bigger ticket ones. Eventually this number will rise and Switch will transition over to Switch Pro as main model and Nintendo will start making some of their own games Switch Pro only (around holiday 2021). 

How will the Joy Cons work for those models? You don't want to completely lose the main identity of the Switch, with the clicking sound and the Switch logo being imperative to its original and current marketing stance.

Kai_Mao said:
Soundwave said:

Less weight

Switch Pro (March 2020)
$349.99 MSRP

How will the Joy Cons work for those models? You don't want to completely lose the main identity of the Switch, with the clicking sound and the Switch logo being imperative to its original and current marketing stance.

Joycons would still work fine, note I say specifically the right/left bezels, not the top/bottom bezel. 

Soundwave said:

Less weight

Switch Pro (March 2020)
$349.99 MSRP

Why would Nintendo pay for the redesign of the X1 on a smaller node when they can get the same result, and cheaper, using a Tegra X2 runing at lower frequencies?

And why would Nintendo pay for a custom designed chip, specially given that they went for an off-the-shelf product for the Switch, when they can get the same or very similar results using a Tegra X2 at full capacity (1.5 TFlops FP16 at 15W)?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.