By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - One Year Later, Metroid Samus Returns Still Not Sold Over 500k

Played Samus Returns?

Yes 45 46.88%

Nope 51 53.13%

Total:96

Put it on the Switch!

Around the Network

I would have played Samus Returns if it would have been released for a TV console. I love Super Metroid on SNES.

I think the Metroid IP is important for the Nintendo catalogue, even though it's not selling that much like Mario or Zelda. It's more like the Ueda games on PS4 (Shadow of the Colossus / The Last Guardian). It fills a niche, but it's important to exist for the versatility.

Last edited by siebensus4 - on 28 September 2018

Snoorlax said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
shoud've just put it on Switch. I only one reason why I didn't care for it is that reason alone,not on Switch. Moved on from 3DS a long time ago

I know that lots of fans agree with your statement.

To you i have to say, don't whine when Ninty stops doing Metroid.

Well if Prime 4 sells, then those of us who waited will have nothing to worry about will we?

It will also show Nintendo that we want these games on Switch, which was his entire point.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

If they made an HD port on switch it would sell so much more. All these ports from Wii U are selling like crazy, with barely any better visuals. A port of a 3ds game with a new engine would be amazing. I didn't buy it because I didn't want to look at my tiny new 3ds xl screen anymore with having my switch one.

TruckOSaurus said:
Metroid has always been given more importance on forums than it actually has. The games are fantastic (well except Other M) but for some reason it doesn't appeal to that many gamers. Yet the series is often mentioned along side Zelda and Mario as Nintendo's top three franchises when in reality it's topped sales-wise by most of Nintendo's IPs.

So expecting over a million copies sold for a remake released on the dying 3DS was setting the bar really high.

Yup this line right here. Dying platform that people have moved on from, wasn't the way to go and had less of a chance to succeed 

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
PwerlvlAmy said:
Snoorlax said:

I know that lots of fans agree with your statement.

To you i have to say, don't whine when Ninty stops doing Metroid.

wont be anyones fault but Nintendo for putting it on a dying handheld instead of the Switch though,so. 

Yes because by your logic: If Prime 4 releases in the final years of Switch nobody should buy it because Nintendo should've released it on their next platform and it's Nintendo's fault for the game underperforming. Honestly out of all the excuses this is the worst one yet.

PAOerfulone said:

Ok, I’m sorry, but I have to say something: I find all the Switch port begging for this title and bitterness over this game’s performance is really petty and pathetic.
We got a full blown, 2D Metroid remake (for $40 instead of $60) on a platform that was still performing well and that most, if not all Nintendo fans have. In addition, the game was announced alongside Metroid Prime 4 for the Switch. Most importanlty, the game itself turned out to be great. I bought it, played it, and enjoyed it very much and am looking forward to Prime 4.

So,
+ It was a great game.
+ It’s something fans wanted.
+ It showed that Nintendo is still supporting the series.

It literally had everything a Metroid fan could have possibly wanted at that time following 7 years of nothing in between besides Federation Force. And yet some fans didn’t buy it because:
- It’s on the 3DS... A respectfully solid system with a good install base and a great library of games that is still selling well for a system that is currently in its 8th year and its successor has already been out for a year and a half.
- Because you wanted a Metroid game on the Switch.... When you already know that you’re going to get a (bigger, greater, far more ambitious) Metroid game

I’m sorry, but you guys get no sympathy from me this time. If some of you are still not going to buy a genuine, 2D Metroid game after all that, then I’m beginning to think that maybe Nintendo is not the problem.

That's the kind of attitude you can expect from the Metroid fanbase, they ALWAYS have a legitimate excuse as to why Metroid doesn't sell well. Much like PwerlvlAmy's response it's always arguments that make next to no sense at all.

- It's not Super

- It's not Prime

- It's not AM2R

- It's not for Switch < It's not for Wii U, PC nor PS4 either still for a system that has a 60m+ userbase below 1m sales is just abysmall

- It's low budget < It's still Metroid

- It's a remake < A remake of a game no one remembers let alone played, in fact, this game is basically an entirely new game and it's a great at that . God, this one annoys me so much. 

Just like the rest, I used to think Nintendo hated Metroid but i've came to realize that Nintendo is the pretty much the only reason Metroid is still around and not because of the fans. Had this been any other Nintendo series it would have been canned a long time ago and nobody at Nintendo would have cared for it but since Metroid has been so influential Nintendo tries to capitalize off it but it fails with every entry. All fans do online it bitch and whine and bash their own favorite series instead of supporting it. Nintendo has never been the problem when it comes to Metroid.

Nintendo gave us Metroid on NES which sold well, in return we got Super which underperformed. 

They gave us Prime which sold well, in return they gave us 2 sequels (3 if you count Hunters) and Prime Trilogy, guess what all of them underperformed.

I honestly hope Nintendo makes Metroid reach a wider and more casual audience much like Zelda and Fire Emblem because Metroid is really not going anywhere especially not when it's worst enemy is it's own fanbase.

Last edited by Snoorlax - on 28 September 2018

Snoorlax said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

wont be anyones fault but Nintendo for putting it on a dying handheld instead of the Switch though,so. 

Yes because by your logic: If Prime 4 releases in the final years of Switch nobody should buy it because Nintendo should've released it on their next platform and it's Nintendo's fault for the game underperforming. 

Once a system's successor is out, you shouldn't release any more major titles on it. NIntendo was stupid to release the game on an obsolete system instead of its booming successor, it's as simple as that.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 28 September 2018

curl-6 said:
Snoorlax said:

Yes because by your logic: If Prime 4 releases in the final years of Switch nobody should buy it because Nintendo should've released it on their next platform and it's Nintendo's fault for the game underperforming. 

Once a system's successor is out, you shouldn't release any more major titles on it. NIntendo was stupid to release the game on an obsolete system instead of its booming successor, it's as simple as that.

We all said the 3DS was dying years ago yet it's still getting new titles.

Switch is successor of WiiU not 3DS.

3DS has a larger install base than Switch.

While you're at it explain why Prime Trilogy sold below 1m on the Wii and Hunters on DS.

curl-6 said:
Snoorlax said:

Yeah, its pretty straight forward logic. Nintendo is only to blame at the end of the day, No one else really.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Snoorlax said:
curl-6 said:

We all said the 3DS was dying years ago yet it's still getting new titles.

Switch is successor of WiiU not 3DS.

3DS has a larger install base than Switch.

While you're at it explain why Prime Trilogy sold below 1m on the Wii and Hunters on DS.

How many 3DS games besides Pokemon have sold a million since the Switch came out? A bigger install base means nothing when the vast majority of that base have moved on and are done buying games for it. The PS2 has a bigger install base than the PS4, but do you think if they did a PS2 version of FIFA 19, it would sell more than PS4?

Switch is the successor to both 3DS and Wii U.

Prime Trilogy was a limited, short-printed release, and Hunters was a spinoff nobody asked for.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 28 September 2018