By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why can't Sony ever do right in the eyes of the consumers? People always complain

CGI-Quality said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:
Nintendo and Microsoft get much more citicism than Sony.

Eh, I don't think any of them see more than the other. I have noticed that each company sees specific types of complaints, however.

If we're going by current gen systems, Sony definitely gets less heat IMO. I mean other than the crossplay fiasco, people have been happy this gen with Sony. Whereas Microsoft gets heat for not having enough exclusives, having a really mishandled launch, selling significantly less than the previous gen, not having a presence in Japan etc;

And Nintendo, geez where do I start? Having too many ports, having unsatisfactory online, being underpowered, relying too much on first party, not enough 3rd party support, too pricey, gimmicky etc; 

Around the Network

People complain about all big companies, all the time. Sony is the biggest player in gaming right now, so they get a big slice of the shit pie. It's all normal, and should be expected.

Because in English speaking countries PS4 has strong competition from XB1 and Switch, so there are many naysayers. I am not sure that they get the same criticism in alt language media.

That's the film industry for ya (jk)

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 26 September 2018

It's the same thing with all companies, businesses, and political parties. No one can make everyone happy. Even the most likeable of people have their haters. Until a clearly "perfect" product appears on the market, everyone will hate everything. That's simply how things work.

Your particular example is basically people not understanding that backwards compatibility would require the PS4 to have the PS4 engine AS WELL AS the PS3 engine to run whatever games. This would make an already expensive console even more expensive.

Next time you are at work, ask yourself if you've done a "reasonable job", a "bad job", or "as perfect a job as you're capable of". If you didn't do the ladder, why not?

Around the Network

It is spread out, but the media likes to point out and hold onto issues that effect whoever is in the lead or in charge. In some ways to make them accountable, to make sure they don't get to cocky and abusive of their power, but also because the majority like to route for the underdog eventually. Once you've been on top for long enough, people like to see the little guy rise up, regardless of if the master is doing a decent job or not. Too much change too fast is usually resisted, but not enough change over time drains the soul.

That and if your on the losing team, sitting back and just living with it won't get you anywhere. If you don't know how to fix your own problems, the next best thing to do is cause problems for the other side, so at the very least they are held up, if not brought down. Certain people see things differently. Personally, in general, I see PS fans being more laid back, while XB fans seem to be more aggressive. Nin fans seem to be somewhere in between. Put each group of fans in the position XB1 is in now though, and you can bet you start to see their 'darker' sides.

As much as you constantly hear why can't we all live together in peace, the truth is what most want is for everyone to be as equal as possible, just as long as "I" or "we" have a slight advantage where possible. This of course causes competition, which makes things really complicated.

FattyDingDong said:

I am by no means a Sony fanatic quite the contrary if you consider my posting history on this site. However, I have noticed over the past couple of years people on social media have whined and complained about the smallest thing Sony does that may not sit well with them. One big example that comes to mind is their refusal to allow cross play between all consoles.. clearly as the market leaders it makes huge sense NOT to allow cross play, if you just look at it from a business perspective that is. Last gen, when the Xbox 360 had the upper hand they had refused to do cross play with Sony, for the same exact reason. There are other smaller examples too that I notice people complain about. I swear I have never seen anyone on the internet criticize Microsoft for their lack of 1st party support. I as an Xbox One X owner (I do not own a PS4 or a Switch) would love to see my console receive 1st party support thus it angers me greatly when all I ever get is Forza every single year (although Forza is great). 

I just never seen any gaming company receive so much hate or criticism. Am I just noticing this accidentally or is everyone else aware of this as well? 

the Xbox One has received a shit ton of criticism on that front, its just that people have become bored of discussing it after the last 4 years.

as for Sony, yeah, they get a lot of criticism, and a lot of it is deserved. so many of their ideas seem to mirror nintendo. their customer support is seriously lacking. at the same time there is also a ton of criticism aimed at Nintendo. they have a poor online presence. their consoles are severely underpowered and expensive. as for Xbox, they have no games and thats really it. point being, criticism exists in large quantities everywhere if you care to look for it

FattyDingDong said:

I am by no means a Sony fanatic quite the contrary if you consider my posting history on this site. However, I have noticed over the past couple of years people on social media have whined and complained about the smallest thing Sony does that may not sit well with them.

Sure, in the past couple of years. Because they've made quite a few screwups lately. Remember in 2013 when they supported used games and saved that whole industry and tradition of trading used games by not following Microsoft? They were heroes! They definitely can do right in the eyes of the consumer, they just have to, you know, do right.

One big example that comes to mind is their refusal to allow cross play between all consoles.. clearly as the market leaders it makes huge sense NOT to allow cross play, if you just look at it from a business perspective that is. Last gen, when the Xbox 360 had the upper hand they had refused to do cross play with Sony, for the same exact reason.

And fuck Microsoft when they did that. Part of why neither should ever do it is because it makes them anti-consumer, and that's a bad look no matter whose side you're on. That bad look is bad for business, hence why Sony recently reversed their decision on this. Not all publicity is good.

There are other smaller examples too that I notice people complain about. I swear I have never seen anyone on the internet criticize Microsoft for their lack of 1st party support. I as an Xbox One X owner (I do not own a PS4 or a Switch) would love to see my console receive 1st party support thus it angers me greatly when all I ever get is Forza every single year (although Forza is great).

How have you not seen anyone criticize them for that?! I've criticized them multiple times about it, on multiple sites. It's one of my main reasons I don't buy Microsoft consoles. Their limited 1st party just isn't enough to entice me when similar console experiences with more exclusives exist on PS4, Switch, and PC. I see this argument all the time, so I know I have tons of people on my side on this. Apparently even Microsoft fans like yourself. Microsoft gets tons of crap, though less recently after a really good E3 and investing a lot more in games and games studios. Remember the XBO launch? It felt like the whole console was going to flop worse than the Wii U the way they were headed. But they made course correction after course correction and after losing the Kinect, losing always online, and adding backward compatibility (and firing Don Mattrick), they're back in the internet's good graces. Nintendo gets flack all the time, they can't seem to win an E3 unless they come out with 3-5 entries major top tier game franchises, and still someone always complains that their favorite series weren't there. And their online isn't anything special, but it's the cheapest out there with plenty of potential to improve yet you hear no end to complaints about it. Seems they can do no right there. People complain that it offers nothing they didn't already get for free, when 1)you have NES games with never before seen online features and more games to come and 2)the same "from a business perspective it makes sense" logic applies when they're the only company not charging for online services that cost them money to support.

I just never seen any gaming company receive so much hate or criticism. Am I just noticing this accidentally or is everyone else aware of this as well? 

Point is you could make this argument about any of the big three console makers. It's Sony's turn to get criticized right now, and Nintendo looks to be next, yet again. Microsoft's turn is only a matter of time before they fuck up again. Nothing is unfair here.

Sony is the market leader, and has been for decades. Outside of the Wii, no other home console has ever outsold PlayStation. With more fans, you have more people that have a financial interest in seeing the platform succeed. On the flip side, as the almost undisputed #1, you will face a lot of criticism from the owners of platforms that arn't fairing so well.

Every manufacturer faces criticism for everything they do, Sony just has more people the care about what they are doing thus more criticism is thrown their way.

In the end it usually works out for the best. Just in the last week they have fixed their PS Now and Online Cross Play issues. Hopefully, Backward Compatability, Multimedia, and Mobile will be ironed out in time as well.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Good point. The fact that no ps4 cross play with xbox has been a bigger issue this year then the issue regarding lack of good exclusives from Microsoft just highlights the crazy fucked up world we live in. And you don't hear a peep about Microsoft requiring xbl gold for F2P games while on pc, switch and ps4 that's not the case. Crazy world indeed.