By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Emotional attachment to consoles/games

Ka-pi96 said:
John2290 said:

Oh wait, reading that last bit Barkley quoted is that the emphasis of the thread. Oh, I misinterpreted. No, I've never gotten attached to an intimate object like that until that inanimate object breaks and then I mourn it's loss for a few days, curse my luck and find a way to replace it.

Although, I did admire the form factor of the ps1 a bit too much as a child now that I think about it. Not emotionally though.

You admired it "a bit too much"? As in... sexually?

I am beginning to understand why people say that PlayStation consoles offer the most bang for your buck.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Around the Network

I would say I'm emotionally attached to gaming in general rather than a specific piece of hardware or software. Like I'm fine if a system/game breaks as I'll just repair/replace it and play others in the meantime, but if something is stopping me from being able to game period then I take serious offense. Regrettably when I was younger I would throw tantrums whenever a punishment involved no gaming. If I lost the ability to play games now... eh let's not think about that. :L

Eventually, most of my older games and consoles end up in storage in a box, but I keep Mario Kart: Double Dash in a place where I can see it.

Given the OP's age, she will feel about the 360 in 15 years what I feel about the NES/SNES today. I don't feel emotional attachments to the physical items, but playing those old games is definitely reliving my childhood.

A lot of people say they aren't attached to a console but theirs/our posts say otherwise. Were all attached emotionally whether we like to admit it or not. Were invested.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
PwerlvlAmy said:
A lot of people say they aren't attached to a console but theirs/our posts say otherwise. Were all attached emotionally whether we like to admit it or not. Were invested.

I am attached to a console in the sense that I really like that console's features and games, but I'm not attached to a single physical console. I wouldn't be heartbroken if my Switch broke, for example. I would be sad because I'd have to spend money buying a new one, but I wouldn't be sad because that one Switch broke. It's just a Switch like any other. That's the difference.

G O O D B O I

Not attached to the consoles, but it is the case with the games it features. The console is just the support to where you can put/install the game in, nothing else.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

I'm not sure what I would do if this thing breaks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MDoBcCZUQQ

But those beeps bring joy to my heart every time I hear them.
Pepepepeeeepee Pepepepeeeeepee Pepepepeeeeeeeeepee Pepepepeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

It doesn't matter if it is people or things, it's human nature to get emotionally attached to things that bring us good feelings

I'm not a very emotional person, so it's very hard for me to being emotionally attached to a machine. I enjoy using them while they last (aka the successor gets launched), but that's about it.

Also, I didn't start in videogames through consoles but arcade machines and portable devices similar to the Nintendo Game & Watch machines, so for me consoles are only a mean to play the games, but nothing more than that.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.