By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which was your first RPG (video game) you played through?

John2290 said:
Done some searching out of interest and it'd seem the first RPG I played was Baulders gate or something that looked like it. There is another point and click game that had RPG elements and came on 9 CDs but I can't find mention of it online.

Was it 9 CDs or 9 floppy disks?  If it was 9 floppy disks you might be thinking of quest for glory: so you want to be a hero.  One of my all time favorite games (I loved 1-4, the 5th was not a fan of).  

Around the Network

zelda II on NES. I got close to the end then my data was all of a sudden gone when i popped it in and turned it on one day, and got the glove and hammer i think? (i just remember getting some items that took awhile again) and then it happened again, it was like roughly 26 years ago maybe a year or 2 more or less?, so its a bit fuzzy, but definitely remember losing the saves.. very disheartening.

looking back, i should have got a game genie for that game and just do it to finish it.

Final Fantasy 7, unless you count the Barcode Battler.

can't remember if it was secret of mana or one of the breath of fire games

My first game with RPG elements in it was technically Zelda II when it originally came out. I had also played the action RPG Faxanadu on NES as well if that counts. My first ever turn-based RPG was Final Fantasy Mystic Quest at a friend's house but I didn't fully grasp the concept of turn-based battle systems and leveling up your party etc. It wasn't until a few years later when SMRPG came out that I really got into more traditional RPGs. Kinda bummed that I missed out on Secret of Mana, FFVI and Chrono Trigger the first time around but I eventually played them in some form or another years later.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

Quest 64 was the frist TRUE RPG I played through...to this day I cannot tell you what the fk it was about...but whatever it was I beat it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

pokoko said:
FentonCrackshell said:
Faxanadu on NES. I’d post a pic of it but I fail at posting pics on this site.

That game.  I remember writing down those long ass codes--and then writing down the wrong thing and losing a ton of progress.

These kids today don’t understand how good they have it. What with their cloud saves and gigabytes of storage space. Little unappreciative bastards lol

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

FentonCrackshell said:
pokoko said:

That game.  I remember writing down those long ass codes--and then writing down the wrong thing and losing a ton of progress.

These kids today don’t understand how good they have it. What with their cloud saves and gigabytes of storage space. Little unappreciative bastards lol

At least codes were easily transferable. My kids started playing Spider-man on my account. Can you transfer the save to their own account, nope. Start over, ugh. We also never had problems with tracking progress for co-op games until this account nonsense. We had it easy back in the day, here's my code list, the circled ones are fun levels in Lemmings, try those.

The first I ever played significantly was Phantasy Star on the Master System. But, the first that I ever played to completion was EarthBound on SNES.

I played around with some RPGs before that even, but I really was too young to get into them. Even in the SNES days, I wasn't really into RPGs. Earthbound just happened to pull me in.

John2290 said:
Cyran said:

Was it 9 CDs or 9 floppy disks?  If it was 9 floppy disks you might be thinking of quest for glory: so you want to be a hero.  One of my all time favorite games (I loved 1-4, the 5th was not a fan of).  

That's the game indeed. My memory might be failing me, it must have been 9 floppies but I could have sworn we were using the CD drive at the time. I might be merging memories with an FMV game that had 9 cds. Thanks for the nostalgia hit ;)

Was that FMV game Phantasmagoria?

Signature goes here!