By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are you buying the Nintendo Online Service?

Are you buying the Nintendo Online Service?

Yes 103 60.95%

No 54 31.95%

Undecided 12 7.10%

Total:169
Ulternia said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Welp it's officially the end of an era. Let us make sure never to forget that this be an act of greed.

Why? Of course that we have to pay wont change, but they could still make improvements. If we instead told them we're happy with the service that'd just be a lie that wouldn't pressure them to get better.

We also need to be reasonable. The free service they provided was more than reasonable as is a $20 price tag (literally $1.67 a month). I’d rather see them charge a bit more (maybe $30 a year) if it meant that we got achievements/trophies and better online as opposed to going back to the free online that was practically unusable for people like myself with the Wii, Wii U and 3DS.

Making us pay for what we're already paying for isn't reasonable even with a low price. It's not even their servers, all Nintendo games are peer to peer. I don't understand your last sentence considering the Switch's online is even worse than the Wii U's.

Around the Network

As we'll most likely be getting the Switch during the holiday period, I'm not going to feel the bitterness that some might have felt from suddenly having to pay for something that was free a couple of days ago. It will be the family plan for us.

When they add some cool SNES games or even N64 Games I for sure will buy it just for these games, but otherwise not. At the moment I couldn't care less about the current "features".

How is $20 a year not worth it? NESflix, cloud saves, online, extra deals like PSN....uh, it's comparable to its contemporaries for a fraction of its price!

People just don't like change. "Waaah, something that was free is now costing me a very little amount of money over a very long period of tiiiiiiiiiiime!"

It's fine. Sheesh. Quit whining, it's NOT a big deal, it's not expensive, and it's nice. Is it as good as its competitors? Nope! And that's why it's much cheaper! still the best deal of the three consoles.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

So now the question is how and when can i buy the NES-controllers

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
How is $20 a year not worth it? NESflix, cloud saves, online, extra deals like PSN....uh, it's comparable to its contemporaries for a fraction of its price!

I agree that it ain't much money, especially if you can divide the costs in a family plan. But you are totally overhyping some aspects.

NESflix? I doubt that Netflix would be that popular if they were only offering a few dozens 20 - 30 year old movies instead of thousands of new stuff. And most of the NES games in the subscription the Nintendo hardcore base already has on their NES classic or as VC version on one of their other Nintendo devices (or both).

We also don't know yet if the extra deals are as good as the PSN deals, how many games are getting a better discount with Switch online and how big the difference between the normal and the subscription discount will be.

I also find the offline restriction of the NES games a bit paranoid: https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/faq/

"Can NES - Nintendo Switch Online games be played offline?" - "Yes, these games can be played offline for up to 7 days as long as you have an active Nintendo Switch Online membership."

So if you are on vacation without internet and you want to play some NES games on day 8, you can't do it without going online to reaffirm your subscription, even if the next 11 months are already paid. You don't have to do that kind of stuff with PS+... the device knows the expiry date of your PS+ subscrition and remembers it for every single subscription-based app/game.

Reminds me of the useless counters in 3DS and WiiU demo versions, I'm glad that they ditched that restriction with the Switch demos.

Last edited by Conina - on 19 September 2018

mZuzek said:
Slownenberg said:
I don't get people's anger over this. It is $20 a year! Super cheap. It's not like its a $10/month Netflix account. $20, for the whole year. If you play online games you'll get this. If you don't play online you won't. As simple as that.

Because paying $20 a year, or any kind of money at all, to play P2P is absurd.

IT's really not. 20 bucks a year is, what...a buck sixty-seven a month? That's less than the cost of a coffee and it gets you the ability to play online, cloud saves, a sort of NesFlix thing, and other benefits we don't even know about. 

20 bucks is nothing. 

Even if it's not the best service, it's cheap. Even if you don't think it's great, I don't see how anyone could argue it's not worth it. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

mZuzek said:
Runa216 said:

IT's really not. 20 bucks a year is, what...a buck sixty-seven a month? That's less than the cost of a coffee and it gets you the ability to play online, cloud saves, a sort of NesFlix thing, and other benefits we don't even know about. 

20 bucks is nothing. 

Even if it's not the best service, it's cheap. Even if you don't think it's great, I don't see how anyone could argue it's not worth it. 

It's not about it being cheap or expensive, it's about paying money for absolutely nothing, because that's what the online play is. It doesn't cost Nintendo barely anything to maintain an online game if it's P2P. In fact, it costs so little Nintendo themselves can't even bother fixing the game's online - you know, there's a certain hacker pretty much destroying everyone in Splatoon ranked battles at the moment, who's going around by such names as "Still $20", and even after the paid service began, he's still doing it. No word from Nintendo at all. Experiencing crazy lag? Well, maybe you wouldn't with servers, but I guess Nintendo doesn't care. How about being able to use cloud saves for Splatoon, so you don't lose your single-player save data and stuff? Oh, you can't, because your online rank is stored locally... I mean, honestly, it's just ridiculous. Paying for P2P is absurd and there's no other way around it.

If Nintendo were to implement servers and have a decent online ecosystem in their games, from improving netcode to implementing basic QoL features such as game invites or MESSAGING FRIENDS (technology is amazing!), I'd have no problem with the $20. The NES games are fine and cloud saves are fine, even if it is a little questionable to lock them behind a paywall. It'd be worth it if the online was any decent, but it's simply not. It sucks, it has sucked since the Switch's launch, in fact it sucks harder than it did on Wii U, and this isn't an improvement at all. It's essentially paying $20 for something we had for free.

Of course, since Nintendo doesn't deserve my money, I went with the family plan and will pay only about $4 yearly in the end. Maybe that's something I'd do regardless of the service quality, but if it was any good I'd feel a little guilty for paying so little - as it is, I actually feel slightly robbed.

Entitled much? In what world do you think you deserve to receive a service without paying for it? Great or not, it's still a service that does cost money to host and run. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Apparently, being entitled to the any amount of money you earned and not wanting to spend it on both a coercive and below mediocre service is a problem. Somehow.

OT: I will not be getting it anytime soon. Nintendo needs to stop giving its consumers ultimatums. I may get it when this service actually becomes serviceable.

Switch online is a scam. I still bought it but it's just a money grab.