By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are you buying the Nintendo Online Service?

Are you buying the Nintendo Online Service?

Yes 103 60.95%

No 54 31.95%

Undecided 12 7.10%

Total:169

Not yet - I don't play much online. If the subscription included a SNES Online app, with access to an expanding library of SNES games, I'd be more interested. Personally I expect that to arrive next year, possibly with an additional cost.

Around the Network

It's already started xD

At that price it was a given for me for a long time. I honestly always expected more to be announced, however. I expected more than this to be included for its original launch date LAST YEAR. I'm not so sure now that I'm going to bother.

When asked if we should get a family account, my wife gave me a flat out "no." This is coming from another long-time Nintendo fan. We're both feeling more than a little burnt by this. Nintendo sure has a way of making die-hard fans feel unappreciated.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Im in Australia. When does it start?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Haven't got a chance to read anyone's reply and it's been a year since I left the forms but my thoughts are, I'll buy it for the extra perks like discounts etc. I just want Nintendo to use my money and make the service better.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Around the Network

I don't get people's anger over this. It is $20 a year! Super cheap. It's not like its a $10/month Netflix account. $20, for the whole year. If you play online games you'll get this. If you don't play online you won't. As simple as that.

Sure it woulda been nice if voice chat was on the Switch instead of a stupid app but that's already been in place for over a year so we knew it wasn't gonna have it. Sure it would have been nice if they launched with more than just NES games but I'm sure next year they'll be adding more systems and games. Way I see it is they made the VC a subscription based service but put the online play behind the paywall as well to incentivize people to buy it. Yea it probably won't have as many games as the VC did but to have them all available for only $20/year instead of having to buy each one you wanted for like $5 to $10 or whatever it a steal.

Yep. Getting the family plan.

So much value in this plan with the free NES games, cloud save, and low price. Love that for $35 7 people with any number of switches can all share the online subscription. Easily the best online value of all 3 companies.

I just got the family plan. Included people in it such as my brother, my two best friends, another good local friend of mine, an american in the military, and my co-worker who is also american (I'm Canadian.) working to see if my friend from the UK can also be on my plan to make a solid set of eight.

We each ended up paying 6.25 CAD, which is like 4.75 USD. Each of us got one full year of Nintendo Online plus the NES games. So yeah. Worth it.

People totally need to suck it up.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Welp it's officially the end of an era. Let us make sure never to forget that this be an act of greed.

Runa216 said:
Some people need to get over it.
Runa216 said:
Why? Of course that we have to pay wont change, but they could still make improvements. If we instead told them we're happy with the service that'd just be a lie that wouldn't pressure them to get better.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Welp it's officially the end of an era. Let us make sure never to forget that this be an act of greed.

Runa216 said:
Some people need to get over it.
Runa216 said:
Why? Of course that we have to pay wont change, but they could still make improvements. If we instead told them we're happy with the service that'd just be a lie that wouldn't pressure them to get better.

We also need to be reasonable. The free service they provided was more than reasonable as is a $20 price tag (literally $1.67 a month). I’d rather see them charge a bit more (maybe $30 a year) if it meant that we got achievements/trophies and better online as opposed to going back to the free online that was practically unusable for people like myself with the Wii, Wii U and 3DS.