By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Pretty brilliant by Nike, they will only sell even more merchandise now.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
dx11332sega said:

I think Africans americans should fix there own cities because I watched on youtube an independant african that said they should worry about africans killing africans more than cops killing africans because it is higher like 200 percent vs a small percent of cops treating africans indiferent IDK I might be missinformed and this is more important than africans in general he also said the something about africans commiting more crime due to bad influence to rap about calling another african the N or B word and undermining women as hoes and thats warping the black communities and rap influence hate to cops which is why cops are extra careful when approaching an african some cops panick and make the dicision though there are few bad cops that hurt africans on purpose but these aren't majority of American cops way of thinking and the the country is focusing on the few incidents with cops and he feels more terrible that blacks lie cheat steal murder other blacks than any other race why is noone talking about that he says?

Because he's got his fingers in his ears.  That's a known issue for decades.  It's been talked about, still talked about and it relates to inequality. 

Also, music is a reflection of society, it doesn't create the society.

If you are willing to watch that video, I can link you several more that refute his points and explain the source problems with all those issues rather than talking about just the symptoms. 

"Also, music is a reflection of society, it doesn't create the society."

Why not both?

Anyone who has seen Game of Thrones season 7 should realize why bending the knee as a protest is dumb

Aeolus451 said:
CosmicSex said:

Yes trying to start a conversation about black people being killed by the police is stupid and disrespectful to 'the country'.  

As a black person who has witnessed it, I can tell you that wanting to stand up for my life in this country isnt a piss poor reason. It won't stop because black people will NEVER die for you.  Got it.  Nope.  You don't get it.  Lol.  It's okay.  Just know that it won't stop because we think our live are worth fight for.

You are all like "how dare you speak up for yourself"?  

Okay. You're strawmanning me with this race stuff and acting like I'm in the KKK. I'm not white enough.The conversation about police brutality has been going on for decades outside of football. Since you keep bringing it up, I'll poke some holes thru your theory. Colin's particular claim isn't based on reality these days and it's race baiting. Statistics don't support what he's saying. I'm sure that blacks committing the majority of the murders/robberies in the US per year and perpetuating that "resist the cops" mentality have something to do with the frequency of police interactions and escalation of those interactions. 

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/tables/table-43

"In shootings in these 10 cities involving officers, officers were more likely to fire their weapons without having first been attacked when the suspects were white."

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.person

I wonder if you work for Al Sharpton or something.

There's a ton of reasons why those idiots are "taking a knee" since he started sitting/kneeling later on. It's not about a specific issue. It's disrespectful of a millionaire football player to virtue signal during the national anthem at football games for any reason. 

Just need to chime in for a sec in regards to that NYTimes article you posted.

That study, and the way the NYTimes reported it, had serious issues:

https://www.snopes.com/news/2016/07/15/harvard-study-officer-involved-shootings/

https://scholar.harvard.edu/jfeldman/blog/roland-fryer-wrong-there-racial-bias-shootings-police

Don't agree with the guy and what he was doing, it was very unnecessary and led by ignorance. But the message isn't bad what Nike is pushing, to do what you believe in and love no matter the cost. I really don't care for american football, I am more into Esports so what he did really has not made me mad in the past like it would for NFL fans.
I really like Nike products so this won't stop me from buying since it really didn't push any agenda, just a simple message to "Just Do It" - Shia Labeouf. Wait no, why didn't they get Shia Labeouf to do the ad campaign? He is the best man for the job!.

Around the Network
collint0101 said:
pokoko said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold on.  Where do we go to protest an improper ban?

Because making sweeping generalizations about an entire race without taking socioeconomic factors into account is proper behavior apparently

What he said wasn't factually untrue.  You can disagree about the root causes but banning anyone who mentions the situation isn't doing anyone any good.  Honestly, that kind "no, you can't talk about that" mentality is a negative thing.

nuckles87 said:
Aeolus451 said:

Okay. You're strawmanning me with this race stuff and acting like I'm in the KKK. I'm not white enough.The conversation about police brutality has been going on for decades outside of football. Since you keep bringing it up, I'll poke some holes thru your theory. Colin's particular claim isn't based on reality these days and it's race baiting. Statistics don't support what he's saying. I'm sure that blacks committing the majority of the murders/robberies in the US per year and perpetuating that "resist the cops" mentality have something to do with the frequency of police interactions and escalation of those interactions. 

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/tables/table-43

"In shootings in these 10 cities involving officers, officers were more likely to fire their weapons without having first been attacked when the suspects were white."

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.person

I wonder if you work for Al Sharpton or something.

There's a ton of reasons why those idiots are "taking a knee" since he started sitting/kneeling later on. It's not about a specific issue. It's disrespectful of a millionaire football player to virtue signal during the national anthem at football games for any reason. 

Just need to chime in for a sec in regards to that NYTimes article you posted.

That study, and the way the NYTimes reported it, had serious issues:

https://www.snopes.com/news/2016/07/15/harvard-study-officer-involved-shootings/

https://scholar.harvard.edu/jfeldman/blog/roland-fryer-wrong-there-racial-bias-shootings-police

That doesn't debunk the findings of it. 

SpokenTruth said:
KLAMarine said:

Who is this image aimed at?

But as far as I know, Colin's initial point wasn't about work conditions. It was something to do with police brutality.

I know it has something to do with police brutality. Taking a knee however is something of a vague gesture. It's no substitute for written word.

The knee gesture isn't about police brutality anymore?

When did I do this? My head is in this thread, not in the sand.

I'm willing to bet there's people in the tens, if not, hundreds of millions who were never affected by police brutality.

It's aimed at those who always try to tell black people how to protest. Every time they protest something, you get throngs of white people yelling back to not protest like that.

If I tell (or more specifically, advise) black people (or more specifically, people who have something to be upset about and happen to be black) to protest by making signs and marching on streets peacefully and not loot stores that had nothing to do with some event and write their representatives about their grievance, am I doing something wrong? If so, where did I go wrong?

Did I go wrong when I was born "whitey" or was my mistake being a "Whitey McSportsfan"?

SpokenTruth said:

Wow, talk about restrictive! Okay SpokenTruth, you've convinced me! Where are these people who are against protesting through ALL of the following means: looting, wearing a shirt, marching with signs, kneeling during a game, speaking during a play, and during a graduation.

I want to get in touch with these people and ask them myself: what is the right way to protest?

SpokenTruth said:

Few protests are a direct statement of the thing being protested.  Was Rosa Parks protesting the public transportation system?  Was Martin Luther King Jr protesting the Alabama streets?  Besides, he took a knee at the behest of a Green Beret who told him that soldiers kneel as a sign of respect.

Taking a knee is about police brutality and social justice but the majority of people that have lashed out at Kaepernick have no idea that was the reason and they simply attribute it to protesting the flag and the anthem.

You say "Few protests are a direct statement of the thing being protested" and I think that's something that needs to change. After all, just look at what happened to Kap's kneeling protest: "the majority of people that have lashed out at Kaepernick have no idea that was the reason and they simply attribute it to protesting the flag and the anthem."

Kap should have worn a "end police brutality" shirt or something to reduce ambiguity... Gotta make sure I'm not a "whitey" before advising that though.

SpokenTruth said:

And you've missed the point.

What point did I miss?

SpokenTruth said:
KLAMarine said:

"Also, music is a reflection of society, it doesn't create the society."

Why not both?

Because it's not both. Because that's not how it works. Because it tells you all this if you just listen.

I don't know... If music can influence fashion, surely it can influence other behaviors as well?

I know my love for Pink Floyd has influenced me to buy merch of theirs.

I wanted to learn guitar at one point too.

Last edited by KLAMarine - on 06 September 2018

KLAMarine said:
SpokenTruth said:

Wow, talk about restrictive! Okay SpokenTruth, you've convinced me! Where are these people who are against protesting through ALL of the following means: looting, wearing a shirt, marching with signs, kneeling during a game, speaking during a play, and during a graduation.

I want to get in touch with these people and ask them myself: what is the right way to protest?

What are you even talking about? I can not tell if you are just purposefully being intellectually dishonest, or if you just do not understand how reactions to political movements or protests usually work. No one would ever say, or identify themselves as, someone who is against all types of protests. Firstly because that would be too specific of an identifier, secondly because even among the biggest fans of America, openly stating that you are against all protests comes off like a negative attitude towards one of the most fundamental parts of American culture. Even with those things acknowledged, you probably could find some random person who openly states they are against all forms of protest. 

What a large number of people are ALWAYS against, although for the most part entirely subconsciously, is the protest for issues related to race, the black experience, or other things that can be safely put under "trivialities" to those not experiencing them. Not out of racism or prejudice though (well ... speaking broadly). Even I can admit to this, as someone who is tired of America's political discourse mostly being about racial tensions that always seem to be experienced entirely different from every group of people. People do not like to have to think about issues which do not concern them, they also do not like feeling as if something is given greater importance than it actually has relevant to the real world. Hell, a lot of people just do not like to think of important issues in any way, whether black or otherwise. These issues are complex, and a lot of people do not know how to feel about them, or feel very distinctly one way. And so being reminded of them in any way makes them dislike protests. That's not to say that they will be negative to any protest ever regardless of subject, but especially towards political protest this is true. That's not to say that these reasons are valid, but these kind of suspicions can ruin the idea of protests entirely (in today's society where most people experience a constant streaming of problems relayed through twitter and television, it is easy to be apathetic to most issues, and so many times protests are mostly convincing to those that are already close to being convinced or already feel passionately one way). I am guilty of this, I don't like having to see stuff crammed down my throat, because it can feel pretentious, I don't like being reminded of how little I actually know of America's systematic issues, and I do not like feeling as if a statement is being made that I can not take a part in. These are never things I would think out-loud, unless I spent serious time reflecting on them. They are mostly subconscious, and whether or not systemic racial issues in the U.S. exist, these kind of reactions are almost always based on some kind of unreasonable emotional core. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
KLAMarine said:

What are you even talking about? I can not tell if you are just purposefully being intellectually dishonest, or if you just do not understand how reactions to political movements or protests usually work. No one would ever say, or identify themselves as, someone who is against all types of protests. Firstly because that would be too specific of an identifier, secondly because even among the biggest fans of America, openly stating that you are against all protests comes off like a negative attitude towards one of the most fundamental parts of American culture. Even with those things acknowledged, you probably could find some random person who openly states they are against all forms of protest.

I'm talking about this image.

When I see this image, I come away with the fact that there is one speaker. This one speaker is seemingly against six forms of protest and this image was posted in the context of SpokenTruth's post. Preceding this image was SpokenTruth's "Every time they protest something, you get throngs of white people yelling back to not protest like that."

I could be wrong but I assume the one speaker from this image is one of those in the "throngs of white people" SpokenTruth is referring to. This one speaker certainly seems ridiculous saying a march with signs is not how a peaceful protest should be carried out. As a result, I was curious and wanted to talk to one of these in the "throngs of white people" because I think dialogue is a great way to air grievances.

In my case, my grievance is that this one speaker opposes a peaceful march with signs but I don't know why they could be against such a thing.