By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Henry Cavill cast as The Witcher!

Bristow9091 said:
atoMsons said:
The teaser first look looks terrible. The hair and make-up areawful. No beard? What? No scars? What the hell? Really. Geralt isn't a pretty boy.

Like others have said, in the books he didn't have a beard, which is what this series is based on. As for the no scars, yeah I agree to some extent, would be nice to see him with some scars and his hair roughed up a bit, although maybe we'll be seeing all this happen during the series lol, but other than that I think he looks decent. 

It's not about that he has or doesn't have a beard in the books vs the game. It's that his appearance without it isn't believable to be Geralt. He needs it to cover his chin, if that makes sense. Just not the vibe he should give off IMO. About his hair, it doesn't need to be roughed up, it's just that it looks like a wig. It just looks like a bad mash up of pieces found in the backstage of a play. I like Cavil, and The Witcher, but this is just not good to me. I fear some toned down show with crappy story telling and acting like most of the Netflix superhero shows.

Get the make-up right Netflix! It's so damn important. Just think how gross Eddard Stark would have been in season 1 if he was some clean cut guy. It's just not the character. Cavil without a beard looks off, so if you want him to play the character you need to make him look the part. With a beard preferably because the other option is a prosthetic which is easier to screw up. Cavils look makes sense to be Superman, but not Geralt.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Uh huh, but who's gonna be most interested in this happening? Gamers. Netflix has been touching popular video game IPs to appeal to that audience.

However, its being casted to appeal to non-gamers. What am I saying here that's wrong?

DMC's anime draws little from the games despite being based on a game's series so again The Witcher is not going by the games, books lend themselves to be better source material than games for tv shows and movies, the books were there long before the games and they got the license from the author so obviously they'd use them just because the games are popular doesn't mean they'll override everything.

Yes or no. Is Netflix try to capitalize on the popularity of the games?

Yes or no. Did they cast Henry to appeal to the average viewer who may not care about the game?

I think the answer to both is an emphatic yes. I'm not sure what your point is, I'm just pointing at why they made these two choices.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Nighthawk117 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Eh... not a good choice. They just picked him because he's famous and will appeal to people that don't care about the games.

Off the top of my head... better choices would have been Jean Claude Van Damme, John Cena, Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham, Vin Diesel, Mark Wahlberg, Dolph Lundgren or Michael B Jordan.

I was thinking someone like Mickey Rourke.

That would be awesome, his face looks like its been through some serious battles.

My last suggestion would be Mel Gibson. He was pretty awesome in Braveheart. Just add a beard.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Wyrdness said:

DMC's anime draws little from the games despite being based on a game's series so again The Witcher is not going by the games, books lend themselves to be better source material than games for tv shows and movies, the books were there long before the games and they got the license from the author so obviously they'd use them just because the games are popular doesn't mean they'll override everything.

Yes or no. Did they cast Henry to appeal to the average viewer who may not care about the game?

I think the answer to both is an emphatic yes. I'm not sure what your point is, I'm just pointing at why they made these two choices.

You're moaning about it appealing to people who don't care about the games fact is they're not going by the games it's going by the books that's the whole point the series is not trying to be The Wither games as a TV series, they're capitalizing to bring the lore of the books into motion lore that the games don't touch on.

Wyrdness said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You're moaning about it appealing to people who don't care about the games fact is they're not going by the games it's going by the books that's the whole point the series is not trying to be The Wither games as a TV series, they're capitalizing to bring the lore of the books into motion lore that the games don't touch on.

After TW3, I think the games are more popular than the books. Netflix is certainly counting on fans of the games watching the show.

Around the Network

I like his role in Stardust. Played an asshole to a t. And his Superman wasn't bad with the direction he was given. But the fact that he played completely different characters in those two movies shows me that he has range, and he's capable of portraying a character instead of portraying himself. I say with a good script and the right direction, he'll fit right in this role.

VAMatt said:
Wyrdness said:

After TW3, I think the games are more popular than the books. Netflix is certainly counting on fans of the games watching the show.

Doesn't mean that's all they're aiming for as evident by them choosing to follow the books.

Wyrdness said:
VAMatt said:

Doesn't mean that's all they're aiming for as evident by them choosing to follow the books.

I'm sure they are hoping to attract fans of the books, the games, and people that have never heard of The Witcher at all.  I was replying to a comment that stated that because they're following the books that must mean they don't care about fans at the game watching the show. That's clearly ridiculous.

VAMatt said:
Wyrdness said:

I'm sure they are hoping to attract fans of the books, the games, and people that have never heard of The Witcher at all.  I was replying to a comment that stated that because they're following the books that must mean they don't care about fans at the game watching the show. That's clearly ridiculous.

No dude read again I never said they don't care I said appealing to people who don't care about the games is the point of not focusing only on the games.

Well, he was clean shaven in the books AND in the first game right?. I think he looks alright but I'd rather see a teaser of his performance in action before I say anything else.