By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When consoles are retired and enter their golden years.

Brilliant. FFVI was a great game but FFVII IMO is the Pinnacle of the series. 

I agree 100%. It should also be noted that FFVII is still the best selling title in the franchise, and last time I checked - still has the record for best selling OST of all time.

Though that can't be confirmed as nobody really tracks those statistics.

Around the Network
mjk45 said:

the only thing that stops me playing PS1 games is modern TV's I play some on Vita but my PS1 collection just sits collecting dust because I lack a CRT TV.

Really?. I sometimes play PS1 games and PS2 on an HD TV. It doesn't look that bad to me but I guess I can understand your point.

TranceformerFX said:
Don't get me wrong, FFVI is a great game and deserves it's recognition. But saying FFVII was a copy is slander. They're not even remotely the same...
I hope I didn't give you the impression that I didn't like FFVI. The only Final Fantasy under SquareSoft (not Square-Enix) that I very much dislike is FFVIII. That game is so batshit stupid...

Oh man...I was nodding my head at your entire comment until you said you dislike VIII. I absolutely love VIII. I can definitely concede that the story has many flaws and the draw system is kinda annoying and broken but for me, there are SO MANY things to like and even love. The way you increase your stats with magic and tinker with them until you have the best possible set for each character feels so rewarding. The card game could easily be a game on its own, addictive and simple yet deep. The graphics still look quite freaking good for a 19-year old game. The OST is my favorite OST of all time with amazing music for battles, romance, comedy and even a bit of horror-feel to it. I also love the characters a lot even though the narrative gets broken in the later half of the game, their interactions and the main romance sold me completely.

To each his own and obviously we are all entitled to our own opinions but I just felt like saying all of that. I adore that game.

Spike0503 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

1) Had a friend play Tenchu once while I watched. IMO it was completely outdated. The Goldeneye of stealth games. I don't know much about Parasite Eve, or Dino Crisis, so I'll take your word for it. 2)RE has a GC remake that blows the original out of the water. 3) RE2 is getting a remake, and 4) RE3 was on 6th gen systems with better graphics. 5) Metal Gear Solid has a much better GC version. SoTN holds up for sure. How did I forget about that one? 6) Never been a fan of Tekken, but I have it on the PS2 and plan on giving it a try eventually. 7) Crash and Spyro have remakes that are just better than the originals. 

Anyway, if I see Dino Crisis or Parasite Eve games for sale I'll buy them and give them a shot. 

1. Its mechanics are a archaic for sure but there's still plenty to like. The ambiance, soundtrack and how satisfying it is to get the "Grand Master" ranking in every mission make it an underrated gem for me. That ranking system is the kind of thing we have for most stealth games nowadays.

2. The remake is really good but I don't think that takes anything away from the original. They are both great. I also prefer the OST of the original instead of the Remake which is silent for the most part and this is a small nitpick but I don't like that the remake barely has any gore unlike the original which is very gory and that adds to the ambiance.

3. So?. The remake will be considerably different from what the trailers have shown. The original will still be a great game that can be enjoyed on the PlayStation.

4. Fair enough although the graphical updates on the Dreamcast version (and GC I believe?) to me seemed rather negligible. The character models looked better but the static backgrounds looked pretty much the same.

5. I don't like the Twin Snakes. The graphics are better but they changed some of the scenes to make them more "cinematic" and the changes just look kinda dumb to be honest. I'd also call it inferior due to the change in the soundtrack. The original OST is better.

6. If you don't like it that's that but for me Tekken 3 is not only the best fighting game of the PlayStation library but the best of its era as well. Truly addicting even for a non-fan of fighting games like me and the character models still look kinda alright.

7. I don't really agree with your attitude of disregarding the older versions of games just because they made prettier versions recently. Having Crash and Spyro remade for modern systems doesn't take anything away from the originals. Also, I think the original Crash (1) is way harder than the remake version. That in itself has some value.

I do hope you give Dino Crisis and Parasite Eve a shot. To me, they both took heavily from the original RE games but still gave their own twist on the genre and that made them awesome.

I played MGS for PS1 and I was thrilled. It's truly extraordinary even today in my opinion.

Between PS1 and N64, PS1 aged much better. Besides Mario 64 and Ocarina, I guess I wouldn't play anything from n64 today, not even 10 years ago.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Spike0503 said:
TranceformerFX said:
Don't get me wrong, FFVI is a great game and deserves it's recognition. But saying FFVII was a copy is slander. They're not even remotely the same...
I hope I didn't give you the impression that I didn't like FFVI. The only Final Fantasy under SquareSoft (not Square-Enix) that I very much dislike is FFVIII. That game is so batshit stupid...

Oh man...I was nodding my head at your entire comment until you said you dislike VIII. I absolutely love VIII. I can definitely concede that the story has many flaws and the draw system is kinda annoying and broken but for me, there are SO MANY things to like and even love. The way you increase your stats with magic and tinker with them until you have the best possible set for each character feels so rewarding. The card game could easily be a game on its own, addictive and simple yet deep. The graphics still look quite freaking good for a 19-year old game. The OST is my favorite OST of all time with amazing music for battles, romance, comedy and even a bit of horror-feel to it. I also love the characters a lot even though the narrative gets broken in the later half of the game, their interactions and the main romance sold me completely.

To each his own and obviously we are all entitled to our own opinions but I just felt like saying all of that. I adore that game.

I happened to agree on FFVIII being a dark sheep in the line up between FF6-FF10. FF8 had a mundane plot surrounded by wonderful production values *spoiler alert* The crew had no memory of their childhood because they equipped GFs? Seriously? I played the game in 1999 right when it came out. I actually missed school while playing it, so it wasn't bad. Every entry from FFVI to X is a 9.0 to 10.0 type of game.FFVIII which I thought was a solid 8 had other things I disliked. The junction system and enemies leveling up with you  weren't things that hit it big with me. I actually enjoyed the card game, as you could get powerful items from the best cards.

Around the Network
0D0 said:
Spike0503 said:

1. Its mechanics are a archaic for sure but there's still plenty to like. The ambiance, soundtrack and how satisfying it is to get the "Grand Master" ranking in every mission make it an underrated gem for me. That ranking system is the kind of thing we have for most stealth games nowadays.

2. The remake is really good but I don't think that takes anything away from the original. They are both great. I also prefer the OST of the original instead of the Remake which is silent for the most part and this is a small nitpick but I don't like that the remake barely has any gore unlike the original which is very gory and that adds to the ambiance.

3. So?. The remake will be considerably different from what the trailers have shown. The original will still be a great game that can be enjoyed on the PlayStation.

4. Fair enough although the graphical updates on the Dreamcast version (and GC I believe?) to me seemed rather negligible. The character models looked better but the static backgrounds looked pretty much the same.

5. I don't like the Twin Snakes. The graphics are better but they changed some of the scenes to make them more "cinematic" and the changes just look kinda dumb to be honest. I'd also call it inferior due to the change in the soundtrack. The original OST is better.

6. If you don't like it that's that but for me Tekken 3 is not only the best fighting game of the PlayStation library but the best of its era as well. Truly addicting even for a non-fan of fighting games like me and the character models still look kinda alright.

7. I don't really agree with your attitude of disregarding the older versions of games just because they made prettier versions recently. Having Crash and Spyro remade for modern systems doesn't take anything away from the originals. Also, I think the original Crash (1) is way harder than the remake version. That in itself has some value.

I do hope you give Dino Crisis and Parasite Eve a shot. To me, they both took heavily from the original RE games but still gave their own twist on the genre and that made them awesome.

I played MGS for PS1 and I was thrilled. It's truly extraordinary even today in my opinion.

Between PS1 and N64, PS1 aged much better. Besides Mario 64 and Ocarina, I guess I wouldn't play anything from n64 today, not even 10 years ago.

1. The same could be said for Goldeneye. How satisfying was it to beat all the times, and unlock the Aztec temple to fight Jaws? I still wouldn't recommend it to anybody today, and couldn't play it again. 

2. I'll take your OST, and trade you for the terrible voice acting in the original. :P

3. There's still a version on the GameCube that may not be a total graphical overhaul, but at least it doesn't have the jumping jaggies of the PS1 version. N64 version also has this upside. 

4. IMO most PS1 games shooting for photo-realism didn't age well at all. Same goes for N64 games that did the same thing like Perfect Dark, or Goldeneye. Case in point look at Snake's pixel soup of a face. 

The guy has zero features. He looks like a manniquin. This isn't even as bad as it gets, because the PS1 had almost no anti-aliasing, and it never rendered the same at any given frame. The result is that when actually playing the game his face looks like a constantly shifting group of pixels. 

5. See above. 

6. I'll just hold my opinion on the Tekken series until I really get a chance to dive into it. I didn't like it back in the day, but that's may have been because it was so different from 2D fighters. 

7. Normally I don't care about graphics, but the difference between how these remakes look, and how the originals looked is like the difference between a 1 lb iron plate, and a mountain of unobtainuim. 

I have a lot of games, but I'll definitely pick up Parasite Eve and both Dino Crisis games. 

I agree 100% that PS1 has aged better than N64. Both Zelda games are on 3DS now with huge updates. Starfox and SM64 are both on a handheld now. Turok, Goldeneye, and Perfect Dark are all completely outdated. Mario Kart is still fun, but the current MK game outshines it in every way. Same goes for Smash. Conker, Banjo, and Paper Mario are still great. But PS1 has a ton of games that are still fun IMO. 

Golden Years of a console are dead since the GCN/PS2 era.

Too many day one patches and downloads now. Come 20 years from now we will all have a collection of broken or incomplete games lol

Cobretti2 said:

Too many day one patches and downloads now. Come 20 years from now we will all have a collection of broken or incomplete games lol

Nah, those update files will be floating around the internet in 20 years. Plus, you can just back them up to an external drive. 

Cobretti2 said:

Yeah, I feel you.

Seriously, though, I guess all of the greatest games will always be remade and re-released. Games like Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid franchise and others will always be available somehow.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Cerebralbore101 said:

1. The same could be said for Goldeneye. How satisfying was it to beat all the times, and unlock the Aztec temple to fight Jaws? I still wouldn't recommend it to anybody today, and couldn't play it again. 

2. I'll take your OST, and trade you for the terrible voice acting in the original. :P

3. There's still a version on the GameCube that may not be a total graphical overhaul, but at least it doesn't have the jumping jaggies of the PS1 version. N64 version also has this upside. 

4. IMO most PS1 games shooting for photo-realism didn't age well at all. Same goes for N64 games that did the same thing like Perfect Dark, or Goldeneye. Case in point look at Snake's pixel soup of a face. 

The guy has zero features. He looks like a manniquin. This isn't even as bad as it gets, because the PS1 had almost no anti-aliasing, and it never rendered the same at any given frame. The result is that when actually playing the game his face looks like a constantly shifting group of pixels. 

5. See above. 

6. I'll just hold my opinion on the Tekken series until I really get a chance to dive into it. I didn't like it back in the day, but that's may have been because it was so different from 2D fighters. 

7. Normally I don't care about graphics, but the difference between how these remakes look, and how the originals looked is like the difference between a 1 lb iron plate, and a mountain of unobtainuim. 

I have a lot of games, but I'll definitely pick up Parasite Eve and both Dino Crisis games. 

I agree 100% that PS1 has aged better than N64. Both Zelda games are on 3DS now with huge updates. Starfox and SM64 are both on a handheld now. Turok, Goldeneye, and Perfect Dark are all completely outdated. Mario Kart is still fun, but the current MK game outshines it in every way. Same goes for Smash. Conker, Banjo, and Paper Mario are still great. But PS1 has a ton of games that are still fun IMO. 

1. Then we disagree and that's it. You think it's so outdated it's unplayable now and I don't. It's one of the earliest stealth-focused titles, it's really enjoyable and it's an underrated gem of the PlayStation library for me.

2. Fair enough although I must confess that, having grown up with the game, I find the voice acting "so bad it's good" in a cheesy kinda way. I'm not saying the Remake is bad, it's an excellent remake and a good example of how to remake an already good game, but, having bought it recently doesn't mean I will never play the PS1 version again. It has its own unique "flavor" to it.

3. As I said before (and will say again) I don't think the GC upgrades are that big of a deal. However, regarding the N64 version, I've never played it but I have researched enough to know it has its own unique features and the team behind the port basically achieved miracles in not only preserving most of the PS1 version but also adding some new things to it. If you prefer that version, that's fine. Personally, I don't own it nor am I interested in it since I don't like the N64 controller.

4 and 5. You are mixing two different points in what I was discussing. Point 4 was that the graphical update for the GC versions of RE2 and RE3 are not that big of a deal. For me, it's similar to The Last of Us for the PS3 and later for the PS4. Sure it looks better but it's nothing to write home about. I wouldn't disregard the original version for such a small upgrade.

Now Point 5, regarding Twin Snakes, the graphical update is much more substantial BUT, as I already said, I don't like the changes that the developers did to the cutscenes and changing the original OST is sacrilege. Yes, the faces for the PS1 version look bad, almost funny nowadays, but it's not a deal breaker for me. 3D was in its infancy and faces with actual detail and animation wouldn't come till later but it's not such a big deal for me.

And on the subject of faces, have you looked at the character faces for most 2D games during this era?. The heights they achieved in backgrounds, character proportions etc, etc was incredible, but faces....ehh. Most 2D games I remember from the era had really pixelated faces as well. Castlevania SOTN is a gorgeous game and its 2D graphics are praised to this day but the faces had no features to them.

6. Fair enough. If you ever give Tekken 3 a chance, I do hope you enjoy it.

7. Fair enough I suppose. I disagree with the importance you are giving to updated graphics but I can see your point.

"I have a lot of games, but I'll definitely pick up Parasite Eve and both Dino Crisis games" 

Good!. Again, I hope you enjoy them. Parasite Eve 1 is kinda like a J-RPG with fights in real-time in a contemporary setting instead of a fantasy one, the story is good too with a mix of drama and horror. Parasite Eve 2 and the Dino Crisis games to me are children of the RE formula but each of them has their own take on the RE gameplay. All 3 of them are great fun.

"But PS1 has a ton of games that are still fun IMO. "

And not all of them are RPGs, but I appreciate you saying this nonetheless.