By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When consoles are retired and enter their golden years.

flashfire926 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Go to Gamerankings.com. Punch in Xbox1 reviews with a minimum of 10 reviews. Now count every single game rated 80% and up. You get about 130 entries. 

But maybe you think that games are still quality when rated at 75% or higher. I can respect that. In that case there's about 170. 

Or maybe you think that games are still quality when rated at 70% or higher. Still something I think is a reasonable opinion. In that case there's about 230. 

Keep in mind that this is counting all Sports titles, re-releases, and DLC content. If you limited the numbers to actual games they would be lower. If you took into account the fact that Sports titles age horribly, they would be even lower still. 

Let's ~30 of those games are sports games/releases (the latest sport game incarnations should count), we still have 100 quality games. Then there are those games that are quality and got just below 80 (Quantum Break). Then there are those games that were initially panned but improved a lot thorough post-launch support (Rainbow Six: Seige, Recore Definitive). Then there are games in there in Xbox game preview program (something PS lacks atm).

And then there are smaller games that got under 10 reviews. For example Shovel Knight:

http://www.gamerankings.com/xboxone/133147-shovel-knight/index.html

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter:

https://www.gamerankings.com/xboxone/221188-the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter/index.html

Firewatch:

http://www.gamerankings.com/xboxone/196134-firewatch/index.html

Yeah, let's assume that games with under 10 reviews, and that are still quality but under the 80% mark, balance out with the DLCs, Sports games, and re-releases. That would give us around 150 to 200 quality games that the two systems have in common. Now take out every game that has the bulk of the content needing online servers to enjoy. 

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
flashfire926 said:

Let's ~30 of those games are sports games/releases (the latest sport game incarnations should count), we still have 100 quality games. Then there are those games that are quality and got just below 80 (Quantum Break). Then there are those games that were initially panned but improved a lot thorough post-launch support (Rainbow Six: Seige, Recore Definitive). Then there are games in there in Xbox game preview program (something PS lacks atm).

And then there are smaller games that got under 10 reviews. For example Shovel Knight:

http://www.gamerankings.com/xboxone/133147-shovel-knight/index.html

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter:

https://www.gamerankings.com/xboxone/221188-the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter/index.html

Firewatch:

http://www.gamerankings.com/xboxone/196134-firewatch/index.html

Yeah, let's assume that games with under 10 reviews, and that are still quality but under the 80% mark, balance out with the DLCs, Sports games, and re-releases. That would give us around 150 to 200 quality games that the two systems have in common. Now take out every game that has the bulk of the content needing online servers to enjoy. 

And? PS4 has it's bulk of online games too, as well as sports games, dlcs, and re-releases too. This is not something exclusive to Xbox.

I don't think there any DLC's that have 10 or more reviews.

Witcher 3: Blood and Wine has 6 reviews: http://www.gamerankings.com/xboxone/142231-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-blood-and-wine/index.html 

Even the DLC that people bill as "best of this generation" and "it's own game" has less than 10 reviews.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

And? PS4 has it's bulk of online games too, as well as sports games, dlcs, and re-releases too. This is not something exclusive to Xbox.

Witcher 3: Blood and Wine has 6 reviews: http://www.gamerankings.com/xboxone/142231-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-blood-and-wine/index.html 

Even the DLC that people bill as "best of this generation" and "it's own game" has less than 10 reviews.

I was talking about if we remove online games from both PS4 and XB1. Same goes for sports gmes, dlcs, etc. You thought I was only talking about XB1? 

Cerebralbore101 said:
flashfire926 said:

I was talking about if we remove online games from both PS4 and XB1. Same goes for sports gmes, dlcs, etc. You thought I was only talking about XB1? 

Well, that's what your OP implied before it was edit. Maybe I just misunderstood it, then.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Cerebralbore101 said:
VAMatt said:
The OP lost me when all Sega systems, over a nearly 20 year period, were lumped together. Compound that with combining PS1 and PS2, and then speculating about the future of XB1 and PS4 in a thread about how old systems have aged, and I just can't wrap my head around this thread.

It wasn't my intention to lump all Sega systems together. I just included them in one paragraph, because I didn't feel like writing a separate paragraph on each system. Same goes for PS1/PS2. I guess I'll go back later today, and edit the OP so that all systems are separated. The thread is about how systems age. Not just old ones. So I thought the speculation on the PS4  and XB1 would fit. I guess I'll take that out, if I get another person saying it doesn't fit. 

I think the revised OP is much better.  Good work.

Around the Network

IMO there is no specific generation that aged best or worst. There was a period that started in the N64/PS1/Saturn era and continued into the early part of the next gen, where things started moving into 3D. Unfortunately, a lot of those early 3D games absolutely suck when played today. The biggest problem that is common to many of them is terrible cameras. Polygon-based graphics also haven't held up well. I just flat out do not enjoy playing many of the games from this era.

@Cerebralbore101. While I still strongly disagree with your views on the PS1, I do think your revised OP is better, good job.

I also have to say that I disagree with many people here regarding early 3D graphics. I'm biased of course since I grew up on that era and I do admit there are some hideous looking games for the PS1 library but most of them don't put me off as much as some people here. I'm much more put off by the graphics during the NES era. The character proportions and the awful-looking backgrounds were hideous. The music for most of games was also really limited and it was common to have games with 1-3 tracks for the whole game. Even worse when those 1-3 tracks were bad or annoying. CD-quality music on the PS1 (and other earlier CD-based consoles that were less popular) is an underrated revolution in gaming in my opinion.

I think this only works for Nintendo since they haven't made anything great since their beginning days. For a company like Sony that comes up with universally acclaimed blockbuster new IPs every generation, it's not really a factor. Nintendo fanbase much like Nintendo is just clinging to the past glory days.

BoseDK said:
I think this only works for Nintendo since they haven't made anything great since their beginning days. For a company like Sony that comes up with universally acclaimed blockbuster new IPs every generation, it's not really a factor. Nintendo fanbase much like Nintendo is just clinging to the past glory days.

Would you care to elaborate...Metacritic rankings would like to have a word with you.

GameOverture said:
Amnesia said:
Except for speedrunning them, I don't see anymore interest to play these old games (sub 2013 for example). Or, just for 1-2 hours of nostalgia.

I know it's all a matter of opinion, but I there are too many games before 2013 that are still great. For example, Super Metroid is 24 years old and it's still one of the best Metroidvanias ever made, it has aged pretty well and can go up against most, if not all, modern metroidvanias. Some games are too good to ignore just cause they're old.

Speedrunning a game is not about just rushing throught it with disrespect, this doesn't work at all. It is the opposite ! you care about every possible details, you repeat it, even if you suffer with frustration you keep going, it requiers care and love to the game !