By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When consoles are retired and enter their golden years.

Amnesia said:
GameOverture said:

I know it's all a matter of opinion, but I there are too many games before 2013 that are still great. For example, Super Metroid is 24 years old and it's still one of the best Metroidvanias ever made, it has aged pretty well and can go up against most, if not all, modern metroidvanias. Some games are too good to ignore just cause they're old.

Speedrunning a game is not about just rushing throught it with disrespect, this doesn't work at all. It is the opposite ! you care about every possible details, you repeat it, even if you suffer with frustration you keep going, it requiers care and love to the game !

I didin't mean to discredit speedruns, I think they're amazing! But I don't think that's the only reason to go back to older games. A speedrun of FFVI is kind of boring imo, but the game itself holds up pretty well against even the most modern of jrpgs

I make game analyses on youtube:

FFVI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSO6n8kNCwk
Shadow of the Colossus: https://youtu.be/9kDBFGw6SXQ
Silent Hill 2: https://youtu.be/BwISCik3Njc
BotW: https://youtu.be/4auqRSAWYKU

Around the Network

PS1

The only PS1 games that truly hold up anymore are the RPGs, and a few Konomi games. But there's enough here to build a decent collection of games that are still enjoyable. Final Fantasy VII pretty much takes everything from FF3 on SNES and copies it, with a few changes here and there. Square had a heyday with experimentation during the PS1 years, so there's lots of hidden gems from that company. Atlus and other JRPG devs didn't get coverage so there's a lot of hidden gems from them too. 

You have absolutely no idea what you're f***ing talking about. 

TranceformerFX said:

PS1

The only PS1 games that truly hold up anymore are the RPGs, and a few Konomi games. But there's enough here to build a decent collection of games that are still enjoyable. Final Fantasy VII pretty much takes everything from FF3 on SNES and copies it, with a few changes here and there. Square had a heyday with experimentation during the PS1 years, so there's lots of hidden gems from that company. Atlus and other JRPG devs didn't get coverage so there's a lot of hidden gems from them too. 

FFVII is just a dumbed down sequel to FF3 (known as Final Fantasy VI on the GBA and in Japan). FFVI did active time battle first. FFVI had the Esper system, and FFVII's version of it was just simplified. FFVI had the idea of mixing tech and magic together. FFVI had big epic cutscenes. FFVII didn't add much to the formula except for graphics. VI is the better game bar none. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
TranceformerFX said:

FFVII is just a dumbed down sequel to FF3 (known as Final Fantasy VI on the GBA and in Japan). FFVI did active time battle first. FFVI had the Esper system, and FFVII's version of it was just simplified. FFVI had the idea of mixing tech and magic together. FFVI had big epic cutscenes. FFVII didn't add much to the formula except for graphics. VI is the better game bar none. 

- Final Fantasy VII didn't have Magitek Armor

- Final Fantasy, as a franchise, has almost always had summons. So using 'Espers' as an example of originality is just being disingenuous, and stupid.

- Kefka and Sephiroth couldn't be any more different in terms of character dynamic. Kefka was just a typical villain who wanted to destroy everything for sake of... destroying everything. Sephiroth was the product of genetic tampering/mutation and upon discovering this; he turns into a psychopath with delusional ideals that aligned with the genetics of his biological mother JENOVA. What did Kefka have for motivation for being hell-bent on destruction? Absolutely nothing.

- Final Fantasy VI, along with XII, has a HUGE identity problem in terms of who the story wants the protagonist to be. Is it Locke, the resistance insurgent? Or is it Terra, The half breed who is the only being to bridge the gap between the two species? Or will it be Celes, the commander of the empire who changes her alliance to aid the party? FF6's protagonist focusing is ALL OVER the place in the game. Don't get me wrong, they're all likable - but you can clearly see that the director and story writer couldn't decide on who the "main" character is.

- Final Fantasy VII was the first game in the franchise to introduce in game cutscenes

- Final Fantasy VII was the first to implement in game cutscenes into their pre-rendered background

- Final Fantasy VII is the first 3D Final Fantasy

- Final Fantasy VII's sound track has more tracks, as well as more memorable and classic tracks

- Final Fantasy VII has a VASTLY superior love story, where as VI barely has one

- Final Fantasy VII has the Gold Saucer, FFVI - does not.

Last edited by TranceformerFX - on 04 September 2018

Cerebralbore101 said:
TranceformerFX said:

I also think FFVI is better than FFVII, but to say VII is a dumbed down version of VI is nonsense. VI didn't do active time battle first, that was FFIV. Also, Summons/Espers were introduced in the japanese FFIII for the NES, i think. 

The biggest differences in terms of gameplay are how materia differs from magicite and the new limit breaks. The plot is completely different, the only slight similarity is how both mix technology and magic, but even then, one goes for steampunk aesthetic while the other has a more cyberpunk underworld kind of look.

I make game analyses on youtube:

FFVI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSO6n8kNCwk
Shadow of the Colossus: https://youtu.be/9kDBFGw6SXQ
Silent Hill 2: https://youtu.be/BwISCik3Njc
BotW: https://youtu.be/4auqRSAWYKU

Around the Network
TranceformerFX said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Both games had a mix of technology and magic. FFVII is a technological world powered by magical means. The entire idea of that came from VI. 

- Final Fantasy, as a franchise, has almost always had summons. So using 'Espers' as an example of originality is just being disingenuous, and stupid.

I'm talking about the leveling system. You could turn espers into crystals, and then attach those to your party members to control how party members changed as they leveled up. Different crystals taught different skills, and changed how stats changed as you leveled up. 

- Kefka and Sephiroth couldn't be any more different in terms of character dynamic. Kefka was just a typical villain who wanted to destroy everything for sake of... destroying everything. Sephiroth was the product of genetic tampering/mutation and upon discovering this; he turns into a psychopath with delusional ideals that aligned with the genetics of his biological mother JENOVA. What did Kefka have for motivation for being hell-bent on destruction? Absolutely nothing.

I agree with this. Never said Kefka and Sepheroth were the same. 

- Final Fantasy VI, along with XII, has a HUGE identity problem in terms of who the story wants the protagonist to be. Is it Locke, the resistance insurgent? Or is it Terra, The half breed who is the only being to bridge the gap between the two species? Or will it be Celes, the commander of the empire who changes her alliance to aid the party? FF6's protagonist focusing is ALL OVER the place in the game. Don't get me wrong, they're all likable - but you can clearly see that the director and story writer couldn't decide on who the "main" character is.

FFVI focused on multiple stories at once. This was a good thing. Every character gets a great backstory, and every character has a character arc. Well, except for the Yeti. 

- Final Fantasy VII was the first game to introduce in game cutscenes.

No it wasn't. Ninja Gaiden did that on NES. FFII had cutscenes as well.  And there were plenty of cutscenes in VI. The Opera Scene comes to mind immediately.

- Final Fantasy VII was the first to implement in game cutscenes into their pre-rendered background

Of course it was. It was the first game to get released on hardware capable of that. 

Yep. See Above. 

- Final Fantasy VII's sound track has more tracks, as well as more memorable and classic tracks

- Final Fantasy VII has a VASTLY superior love story, where as VI barely has one.

It's been years since I played VI, but I remember Lock and Celes being huge love interests for one another. Isn't FFVII just that Aerith dies and then it is tragic. Pretty sure it ends right there. At least VI has a happy ending for the love interests. 

Suplexing a Train > Gold Saucer. 

SammyGiireal said:
BoseDK said:
I think this only works for Nintendo since they haven't made anything great since their beginning days. For a company like Sony that comes up with universally acclaimed blockbuster new IPs every generation, it's not really a factor. Nintendo fanbase much like Nintendo is just clinging to the past glory days.

Would you care to elaborate...Metacritic rankings would like to have a word with you.

inb4 "all reviewers have nintendo bias cuz they grew up on NES's and SNES's"

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Spike0503 said:
@Cerebralbore101. While I still strongly disagree with your views on the PS1, I do think your revised OP is better, good job.

I also have to say that I disagree with many people here regarding early 3D graphics. I'm biased of course since I grew up on that era and I do admit there are some hideous looking games for the PS1 library but most of them don't put me off as much as some people here. I'm much more put off by the graphics during the NES era. The character proportions and the awful-looking backgrounds were hideous. The music for most of games was also really limited and it was common to have games with 1-3 tracks for the whole game. Even worse when those 1-3 tracks were bad or annoying. CD-quality music on the PS1 (and other earlier CD-based consoles that were less popular) is an underrated revolution in gaming in my opinion.

the only thing that stops me playing PS1 games is modern TV's I play some on Vita but my PS1 collection just sits collecting dust because I lack a CRT TV.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Don't get me wrong, FFVI is a great game and deserves it's recognition. But saying FFVII was a copy is slander. They're not even remotely the same...
I hope I didn't give you the impression that I didn't like FFVI. The only Final Fantasy under SquareSoft (not Square-Enix) that I very much dislike is FFVIII. That game is so batshit stupid...

TranceformerFX said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

- Final Fantasy VII was the first game in the franchise to introduce in game cutscenes

- Final Fantasy VII has a VASTLY superior love story, where as VI barely has one

Brilliant. FFVI was a great game but FFVII IMO is the Pinnacle of the series.