By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When consoles are retired and enter their golden years.

The first through third generations aged pretty poorly for the most part. The fourth gen systems have aged the best of any generation. The fifth gen systems aged better than the third, but nowhere near as well as the fourth. The sixth generation aged better than the fifth but still not as well as the fourth. The seventh gen is interesting, because there's a big difference in how well early games like Oblivion, the first Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Resistance, ect. have aged compared to later games from that generation. I don't think any generation has had such a big difference between early and late gen titles. Though the current gen may have a bigger difference, as the libraries of the PS4 and XBOX1 sucked for a long while after launch. It was only really in 2015 that the current gen started to come together.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:

1) Had a friend play Tenchu once while I watched. IMO it was completely outdated. The Goldeneye of stealth games. I don't know much about Parasite Eve, or Dino Crisis, so I'll take your word for it. 2)RE has a GC remake that blows the original out of the water. 3) RE2 is getting a remake, and 4) RE3 was on 6th gen systems with better graphics. 5) Metal Gear Solid has a much better GC version. SoTN holds up for sure. How did I forget about that one? 6) Never been a fan of Tekken, but I have it on the PS2 and plan on giving it a try eventually. 7) Crash and Spyro have remakes that are just better than the originals. 

Anyway, if I see Dino Crisis or Parasite Eve games for sale I'll buy them and give them a shot. 

1. Its mechanics are a archaic for sure but there's still plenty to like. The ambiance, soundtrack and how satisfying it is to get the "Grand Master" ranking in every mission make it an underrated gem for me. That ranking system is the kind of thing we have for most stealth games nowadays.

2. The remake is really good but I don't think that takes anything away from the original. They are both great. I also prefer the OST of the original instead of the Remake which is silent for the most part and this is a small nitpick but I don't like that the remake barely has any gore unlike the original which is very gory and that adds to the ambiance.

3. So?. The remake will be considerably different from what the trailers have shown. The original will still be a great game that can be enjoyed on the PlayStation.

4. Fair enough although the graphical updates on the Dreamcast version (and GC I believe?) to me seemed rather negligible. The character models looked better but the static backgrounds looked pretty much the same.

5. I don't like the Twin Snakes. The graphics are better but they changed some of the scenes to make them more "cinematic" and the changes just look kinda dumb to be honest. I'd also call it inferior due to the change in the soundtrack. The original OST is better.

6. If you don't like it that's that but for me Tekken 3 is not only the best fighting game of the PlayStation library but the best of its era as well. Truly addicting even for a non-fan of fighting games like me and the character models still look kinda alright.

7. I don't really agree with your attitude of disregarding the older versions of games just because they made prettier versions recently. Having Crash and Spyro remade for modern systems doesn't take anything away from the originals. Also, I think the original Crash (1) is way harder than the remake version. That in itself has some value.

I do hope you give Dino Crisis and Parasite Eve a shot. To me, they both took heavily from the original RE games but still gave their own twist on the genre and that made them awesome.

Spike0503 said:
Cerebralbore101 said: 

PS1/PS2

I consider this to be the same system, since the PS2 slim's backwards compatibility eats the PS1. Almost nobody owns a PS1, but rather they play their PS1 games on PS2. The only PS1 games that truly hold up anymore are the RPGs. PS2 still holds the record for highest selling console of all time, and it supported a ton of AA developers that died out in the PS3/360/Wii era. The platformers on the PS2 are still fun, mostly because everybody except Nintendo and Insomniac gave up on making 3D platformers over ten years ago. I still think Ace Combat and Devil May Cry have their best enties on PS2. 

Wow, I literally couldn't disagree with you more. Not only is it insane to me to combine both consoles instead of looking at how they stand by themselves but ignoring the original PlayStation's library is ridiculous. Only RPGs hold up?. What the fuck. I have so many games that I still play and hold up from that era. 

A short list just because I could spend all day listing great stuff to play for the PS1: Tenchu, Parasite Eve 1 and 2, Dino Crisis 1 and 2, RE1-2-3 (Saturn has 1 and the N64 has 2 but neither of them have the complete trilogy), Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania SOTN (the Saturn port sucked), Tekken 3, the Crash trilogy + Crash Team Racing, Silent Hill (which is the best horror game ever made in my opinion). I could go on and on. You are entitled to your opinion of course but I would play any of those over anything on the NES or SNES.

I will agree that JRPGs, because of story, music and artwork are timeless. I will also agree Resident Evil games like 2 and Nemesis aged well. The Crash Trilogy did as well but now there is a remake of it. I actually still play Mortal Kombat Trilogy with friends. So the entire library cannot be dismissed.

SammyGiireal said:

I will agree that JRPGs, because of story, music and artwork are timeless. I will also agree Resident Evil games like 2 and Nemesis aged well. The Crash Trilogy did as well but now there is a remake of it. I actually still play Mortal Kombat Trilogy with friends. So the entire library cannot be dismissed.

That was my main point, glad to see someone agrees. I also remember playing MK trilogy with buddies years ago, though I kinda liked MK4 a bit more just cause you could pull out weapons, lol.

flashfire926 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

It's mainly the 30 quality games that PS4 has, but XB1 will never get. If you ignore the mountains of shovelware, and just look at quality games the XB1 is severely lacking. But if you include the shovelware, then yes they have 95% the same library. 

Most of the XB1's exclusives like Forza, Gears, and Halo require an online connection to enjoy the bulk of the game. The same isn't true for Horizon, GoW, Uncharted, etc. Sony's exclusives still focus on single player. 

Not even close to being true. Exclusives this gen make up for barely anything (in quantity), even if you only count quality titles. 

Go to Gamerankings.com. Punch in Xbox1 reviews with a minimum of 10 reviews. Now count every single game rated 80% and up. You get about 130 entries. 

But maybe you think that games are still quality when rated at 75% or higher. I can respect that. In that case there's about 170. 

Or maybe you think that games are still quality when rated at 70% or higher. Still something I think is a reasonable opinion. In that case there's about 230. 

Keep in mind that this is counting all Sports titles, re-releases, and DLC content. If you limited the numbers to actual games they would be lower. If you took into account the fact that Sports titles age horribly, they would be even lower still. 

Anyway it's pretty obvious that XB1 and PS4 do not have 95% the same library, if we exclude the shovelware, and incomplete buggy products. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 03 September 2018

Around the Network
Spike0503 said:
SammyGiireal said:

That was my main point, glad to see someone agrees. I also remember playing MK trilogy with buddies years ago, though I kinda liked MK4 a bit more just cause you could pull out weapons, lol.

Yes I also assume Res Evil 2 and 3 will remain worthy plays because the Resident Evil 2 remake is in a completely different style of play. So I will hold on to my copy of it. I loved MK4 back in the day, but traded it at Eb. Kept Trilogy because store credit was low back then, and it was a good thing in retrospective.

VAMatt said:
The OP lost me when all Sega systems, over a nearly 20 year period, were lumped together. Compound that with combining PS1 and PS2, and then speculating about the future of XB1 and PS4 in a thread about how old systems have aged, and I just can't wrap my head around this thread.

It wasn't my intention to lump all Sega systems together. I just included them in one paragraph, because I didn't feel like writing a separate paragraph on each system. Same goes for PS1/PS2. I guess I'll go back later today, and edit the OP so that all systems are separated. The thread is about how systems age. Not just old ones. So I thought the speculation on the PS4  and XB1 would fit. I guess I'll take that out, if I get another person saying it doesn't fit. 

Amnesia said:
Except for speedrunning them, I don't see anymore interest to play these old games (sub 2013 for example). Or, just for 1-2 hours of nostalgia.

I know it's all a matter of opinion, but I there are too many games before 2013 that are still great. For example, Super Metroid is 24 years old and it's still one of the best Metroidvanias ever made, it has aged pretty well and can go up against most, if not all, modern metroidvanias. Some games are too good to ignore just cause they're old.

I make game analyses on youtube:

FFVI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSO6n8kNCwk

Shadow of the Colossus: https://youtu.be/9kDBFGw6SXQ

Braid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7tZiowT_qM

Cerebralbore101 said:
flashfire926 said:

Not even close to being true. Exclusives this gen make up for barely anything (in quantity), even if you only count quality titles. 

Go to Gamerankings.com. Punch in Xbox1 reviews with a minimum of 10 reviews. Now count every single game rated 80% and up. You get about 130 entries. 

But maybe you think that games are still quality when rated at 75% or higher. I can respect that. In that case there's about 170. 

Or maybe you think that games are still quality when rated at 70% or higher. Still something I think is a reasonable opinion. In that case there's about 230. 

Keep in mind that this is counting all Sports titles, re-releases, and DLC content. If you limited the numbers to actual games they would be lower. If you took into account the fact that Sports titles age horribly, they would be even lower still. 

Let's ~30 of those games are sports games/releases (the latest sport game incarnations should count), we still have 100 quality games. Then there are those games that are quality and got just below 80 (Quantum Break). Then there are those games that were initially panned but improved a lot thorough post-launch support (Rainbow Six: Seige, Recore Definitive). Then there are games in there in Xbox game preview program (something PS lacks atm).

And then there are smaller games that got under 10 reviews. For example Shovel Knight:

http://www.gamerankings.com/xboxone/133147-shovel-knight/index.html

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter:

https://www.gamerankings.com/xboxone/221188-the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter/index.html

Firewatch:

http://www.gamerankings.com/xboxone/196134-firewatch/index.html

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

My Wii is still plugged in, although it has become the Smash machine after Wii games stopped being made. I still have plenty of must-play titles for the console, although now that my PC is able to emulate Wii games, the poor machine struggles for relevance. GBA and DS are top tier quality, their libraries are some of the best at the time, specially for the JRPG genre.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.