By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Boss: Fortnite On PlayStation 4 Is The Best Experience For Users

Aeolus451 said:
Mandalore76 said:

I keep hearing this trotted out, but no one ever lists a source for it other than "Sony recently said so".  Meanwhile, there was a dev last gen who specifically stated that Nintendo was open to cross-platform play on Wii U, but that it was Sony who wouldn't allow it.  So, what is the source for Nintendo refusing cross-platform play that Sony was asking for?

Nintendo allows cross-play for Pure Chess

Oct 14, 2013  

Knytt Underground developer Ripstone said in an interview with Eurogamer that Nintendo will allow cross-platform play functionality for its upcoming title, Pure Chess

According to Ripstone creative director Phil Gaskell, Nintendo — which has traditionally had a closed platform — agreed to allow cross-platform multiplayer in the chess title, which means someone playing on the Wii U can compete with a player on a different console.

"...They said, 'Yep, no problem. You can have other console players playing against Wii U players. You can have smartphone players play against them. No problem,'" Gaskell told Eurogamer. "We're still talking to Sony about them relaxing their policies

https://www.polygon.com/2013/10/14/4838864/nintendo-allows-cross-play-for-pure-chess-ripstone-says

It's easy to be for something that very likely won't happen with the majority of 3rd party multiplatform games because the devs don't want it. Even if Nintendo does support it 100%, it doesn't mean its consoles or network could handle the higher end games like FF XIV ARR (which is fully crossplay, sony already agreed to crossplay with MS and Nintendo with game) without a ton of issues that degrade the experience for everyone. Nintendo and MS still haven't ported that game.

What good does defending Sony on crossplay get you?

What benefit is there for you that Sony does not allow crossplay?

Why do you not want Sony to allow crossplay?

I am just trying to understand why anyone would defend a company for doing something that does not benefit anyone but the company and/or shareholders themselves.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
Mandalore76 said:

I keep hearing this trotted out, but no one ever lists a source for it other than "Sony recently said so".  Meanwhile, there was a dev last gen who specifically stated that Nintendo was open to cross-platform play on Wii U, but that it was Sony who wouldn't allow it.  So, what is the source for Nintendo refusing cross-platform play that Sony was asking for?

Nintendo allows cross-play for Pure Chess

Oct 14, 2013  

Knytt Underground developer Ripstone said in an interview with Eurogamer that Nintendo will allow cross-platform play functionality for its upcoming title, Pure Chess

According to Ripstone creative director Phil Gaskell, Nintendo — which has traditionally had a closed platform — agreed to allow cross-platform multiplayer in the chess title, which means someone playing on the Wii U can compete with a player on a different console.

"...They said, 'Yep, no problem. You can have other console players playing against Wii U players. You can have smartphone players play against them. No problem,'" Gaskell told Eurogamer. "We're still talking to Sony about them relaxing their policies

https://www.polygon.com/2013/10/14/4838864/nintendo-allows-cross-play-for-pure-chess-ripstone-says

It's easy to be for something that very likely won't happen with the majority of 3rd party multiplatform games because the devs don't want it. Even if Nintendo does support it 100%, it doesn't mean its consoles or network could handle the higher end games like FF XIV ARR (which is fully crossplay, sony already agreed to crossplay with MS and Nintendo with game) without a ton of issues that degrade the experience for everyone. Nintendo and MS still haven't ported that game.

Source?  Because again, only source I could find was the dev (SquareEnix) saying that Sony was still giving them a problem with allowing cross platform play.  

Final Fantasy XIV's Director Talks Housing Shortage, PS4 Cross-Play, And Much More

On whether FFXIV is ever coming to Switch or Xbox

“Unfortunately there has not been any sort of change in our situation, because our stance has not changed,” Yoshida said.  "We’ve also run into an issue with Sony - being able to play cross-platform. That’s another issue that we’d have to take care of as well." 

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xivs-director-talks-housing-shortage-ps4-1827024591

irstupid said:
V-r0cK said:

Not sure how relevant this is but I found this article for Microsoft...

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xiv-isnt-coming-to-xbox-because-of-a-sil-723669207

Says it was already decided that FF14 wont be for XB1 so seems like MS already started the no-cross play policy for this gen before Sony and their PS4.  But maybe that changed with their whole "Xbox180" after their E3 console reveal and then going forward all games will be cross play?

--

OT:  I can't say that PS4 is the best experience but I do enjoy Fortnite on home console whether it'd be PS4/XB1/NS docked because I just prefer the comfort of sitting on the couch with a big screen TV.  However I did play Fortnite on handheld with the Switch, not the smoothest but was still very fun and quite an enjoyable experience.  I know when I get my Switch later this year I can see myself playing it on handheld mode a lot.

Does not matter what anyone was doing before. Only thing that matters now is the present. Microsoft being dicks in the past does give anyone else a free pass to be a dick now.

Do you work for Sony? If you do not work for Sony, or are not worried about your Sony stock, then you should be 100% against what Sony is doing and be supportive of Cross-Play. What Sony is doing is 100% for monetary reasons and anyone supporting it should be only supporting it for those same reasons. Any other reasons/defending/ecct is purely because you are a fanboy and Sony is your team.

Again what others did in the past should NEVER give someone a free pass to do something now. If the US started rounding up all the Jews and putting them in concentration camps should I be defending them because Germany did it in the past. No, Germany was wrong back then and the US would be wrong now. If Germany was calling out the US as bad people for putting Jews in concentration camps, should I call them hypocrites? No, Germany is not being hypocritical, they are no longer doing a bad thing and have every right to call out someone for doing that bad thing now.

1.  The only reason I posted that was because that user was actually looking for previous articles about MS not wanting to participate in cross platform last gen so I gave it to him. That is all, so chill because I was just helping the person out.

2. You're saying that Sony cross play issue is an equivalent comparison to Concentration camp with Jews??......No offence but that example is the absolute worst comparison ever!!!! In what way does cross platform actually hurt people!?!?!?!  Seriously?!?! This isn't war or something crazy close to it.  Companies make decisions like these all the time deal with it!!!

3. "Any other reasons/defending/ecct is purely because you are a fanboy and Sony is your team."  ...speaking of that, anybody that tries to compare Sony's cross play with Jews must have a serious hate against Sony and must be a huge fanboy of the competitor(s) that's for certain, with that I cant take you seriously on future posts.

irstupid said:
Aeolus451 said:

What good does defending Sony on crossplay get you?

What benefit is there for you that Sony does not allow crossplay?

Why do you not want Sony to allow crossplay?

I am just trying to understand why anyone would defend a company for doing something that does not benefit anyone but the company and/or shareholders themselves.

That was a quick reply.

Nothing. It's just my opinion on this.

In the case of fortnite, sony would lose money over the dlc because dlc transfers between platforms. Mainly, it hurts the other two. If Sony doesn't allow it, people will just buy it on the PS4 where their friends are already on or on pc versus just buying on whatever.

Crossplay is only being allowed on a handful of games. It's not standard practice. If the majority of devs opted for crossplay, Sony would change its policy but the majority of devs wouldn't do that because consoles aren't standardized nor are their networks equal. It creates more technical headaches with multiplayer games. Easier to do separate servers. If Nintendo obtained parity with their hardware (each gen) and network to the others, it might be easier.

If devs did what was done with Fortnite, they would lose money.  For example, if you wanted to play cod with all dlc on all three consoles, you would have to buy everything 3 times. Sony is just adhering to the normal industry practice in regards to consoles and dlc but not with pc. It's why I think that all of the boohooing over fortnite is silly. It started over the dlc/game progress not transferring over between platforms. The people who want crossplay and to be able to transfer dlc/game progress between platforms to be standard  industry practice aren't be realistic. 

V-r0cK said:
irstupid said:

Does not matter what anyone was doing before. Only thing that matters now is the present. Microsoft being dicks in the past does give anyone else a free pass to be a dick now.

Do you work for Sony? If you do not work for Sony, or are not worried about your Sony stock, then you should be 100% against what Sony is doing and be supportive of Cross-Play. What Sony is doing is 100% for monetary reasons and anyone supporting it should be only supporting it for those same reasons. Any other reasons/defending/ecct is purely because you are a fanboy and Sony is your team.

Again what others did in the past should NEVER give someone a free pass to do something now. If the US started rounding up all the Jews and putting them in concentration camps should I be defending them because Germany did it in the past. No, Germany was wrong back then and the US would be wrong now. If Germany was calling out the US as bad people for putting Jews in concentration camps, should I call them hypocrites? No, Germany is not being hypocritical, they are no longer doing a bad thing and have every right to call out someone for doing that bad thing now.

1.  The only reason I posted that was because that user was actually looking for previous articles about MS not wanting to participate in cross platform last gen so I gave it to him. That is all, so chill because I was just helping the person out.

2. You're saying that Sony cross play issue is an equivalent comparison to Concentration camp with Jews??......No offence but that example is the absolute worst comparison ever!!!! In what way does cross platform actually hurt people!?!?!?!  Seriously?!?! This isn't war or something crazy close to it.  Companies make decisions like these all the time deal with it!!!

3. "Any other reasons/defending/ecct is purely because you are a fanboy and Sony is your team."  ...speaking of that, anybody that tries to compare Sony's cross play with Jews must have a serious hate against Sony and must be a huge fanboy of the competitor(s) that's for certain, with that I cant take you seriously on future posts.

Not trying to compare concentration camps to crossplay for equivalency, just used that as an example cause I know that everyone would understand it, cause everyone knows about that. I could have used something as small as you doing something like stealing gum and when you get called out on it, you tell your mom "but mom, brother stole from them a few weeks ago" Him stealing from them in the past doesn't make your stealing no longer bad.

Doesn't matter the example used, the point is that one should NEVER use someone else did that bad thing in the past as an excuse for doing it now.

Around the Network

At this point the best Sony could do is just shut up about it. If they aren't going to budge on the crossplay issue then just ignore those talking about it until it cools down or people get bored. Answering questions and speaking more about it is only going to make it worse.

If I was in Sony's marketing and they asked me about it I would just say: "We made our stance on the subject clear before. Next question please."

As long as Sony continue to lock Fortnight accounts if someone signs in with another console, this will continue to be an issue. Sony can deny cross play all they want but trying to force players to only use their console now that is crossing another line. How many more such cases would Sony locking accounts and content for 3rd party games to just their console. Epic is also at fault here for even agreeing to garbage like this and they should be accused just as hard as Sony.

It use to be said that the best combo was a switch and PS4 but with practices like this, that is no longer the case,. At the end of the day, no gamer should be defending Sony or Epic for this nonsense.

Machiavellian said:

People do have to understand that there is a different boss running the Xbox division now compared to when they did not want cross play.  Different boss runs their department differently and we can definitely say that Phil is running the Xbox division way different then Don.  In the end, the real issue is Sony locking out accounts if you play on any other system more than cross Play.  Sony has the rights to not allow cross play on their system but trying to influence gamers to only play on their system is about as anti consumer as it comes and any person defending that policy should be ignored.

People have to understand that there is a different boss running SNY and the PS division now compared to when they were offering cross play. Different bosses run their departments differently and we can say that John and Ken are running SNY and PS somewhat differently then Andrew and Kaz. In the end, the real issue is MS and their lack of XB1 sales due to screwing up their launch, and following the same decision PS made with PS3, to offer cross play as a way to potentially gain more customers, and at the very least, win some over due to positive PR. MS has the right to offer cross play and complain all they want that PS won't join, but trying to influence other companies to purposely make decisions against their best interests is about as desperate as it comes and any person defending this should just live with their platform of choice, or add/change platforms.

Who cares? So many better games to play than Fortnite.

forevercloud3000 said:

Yet I don't see how the PS3 performance was some sort of righteous retribution for their supposed Arrogance.  The PS3 didn't fall behind the 360 after their bold claims, the PS3 started behind 15million because it came out a year later. The $600 price point also wasn't as detrimental as people think because like I stated, the PS3 out paced the 360 worldwide most of the gen(IE sold more on a monthly basis). If PS3 came out the same year as 360, it would have been at least 15million ahead, had the PS3 had a year headstart it would have been 30+ million ahead. The Playstation brand just has higher selling strength than most are capable of  perceiving. 

Whether the decision to delay the console a full year, the $600 price point, the , use of Bluray or the Cell Architecture was a bad idea or not, the selling power in spite of them is phenomenal. Especially when you think this all took place during the peak of a Global Recession. You have to think, for every thing that was holding the PS3 back the 360 had that much more of a chance to take the lead but was still only able to do so temporarily because the PS3 eventually overtook it in Sales(albeit sometimes disputed).

My point being is that Arrogance couldn't have been what took down the PS3 because it was never really taken down to begin with.

Sales were cut nearly in half and you don't see any punishment at all? Sure buddy. Keep licking those boots. It changes nothing for anyone.