By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you believe in God? Why/Why not?

Do you believe in any god?

Yes 63 36.21%

No 111 63.79%

Total:174
Paperboy_J said:
We had to have come from somewhere, no matter how you slice it. And since nothing can create itself (scientific fact), an eternal being is the only thing it could have been. Nothing else would make sense.

https://www.fallacyfiles.org/specplea.html

If everything had to come from somewhere, then that would include god.  If god can exist without having been created by a being, than other things could as well.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Paperboy_J said:
We had to have come from somewhere, no matter how you slice it. And since nothing can create itself (scientific fact), an eternal being is the only thing it could have been. Nothing else would make sense.

If everything had to come from somewhere, then that would include god.  If god can exist without having been created by a being, than other things could as well.

Paperboy_J said:
Runa216 said:

So,your final argument on the matter is that you believe because you want to believe, not because there's any facts supporting your claim whatsoever. 

If everything science is God, but God simply represents what we don't or can't know, then accept that 'god' is a metaphor and nothing more. There's absolutely no reason to believe in a sentient, omniscient, omnipotent being except because you want to. Nothing in our observable universe leads towards the idea that it was guided by anyone or anything higher. but because chaos doesn't fit in your worldview, you HAVE to believe it. 

God may be a metaphor, but nothing more.

God may be a philosophical concept, but nothing more. 

'God' exist as an idea, but the idea that 'god' is an entity simply beyond our understanding is arrogant, devoid of logic, irrational, and borne of a psychological need for comfort, not out of rational, scientific conclusion. 

Of course there is, just look in the mirror.  Do you have any idea how complicated the human body is?

Are you proposing that this complicated thing was created by something even more complicated?  In that case, did that complicated thing need to be designed as well?

SpokenTruth said:
Paperboy_J said:

Then what created God?

Nothing "created" God because God has always existed, always been.

And I already know what your next question is going to be: "How do you know that?"

I know that because it's the only explanation that actually makes sense.  Nothing else (scientifically speaking) is possible.

JWeinCom said:
JWeinCom said:

Paperboy_J said:

Of course there is, just look in the mirror.  Do you have any idea how complicated the human body is?

Are you proposing that this complicated thing was created by something even more complicated?  In that case, did that complicated thing need to be designed as well?

What are you proposing?  Are you saying our bodies just "fell together" like this by accident?

Paperboy_J said:
JWeinCom said:

What are you proposing?  Are you saying our bodies just "fell together" like this by accident?

Nope.  I didn't propose anything at all.  You're the one who made a claim, so you're the one who has to demonstrate it. Whether or not I have a better alternate theory has nothing to do with the fact that yours is contradictory and self defeating.

Around the Network

What have I gotten myself into...

My simple response is I disagree with you. The whole idea of a "God" is that it's an eternal being. That's the definition. Whether or not you want to believe one actually exists is up to you, I just wish you guys would stop trying to mess with the definition.

Paperboy_J said:
What have I gotten myself into...

My simple response is I disagree with you. The whole idea of a "God" is that it's an eternal being. That's the definition. Whether or not you want to believe one actually exists is up to you, I just wish you guys would stop trying to mess with the definition.

Nobody is messing with the definition.  You can define whatever you want. The question is whether or not there is any good reason to believe the thing you defined exists. As far as I can see, there is not.

Parents and most of my family are Christian. I'm not fully sure what I believe, but I stopped considering myself a Christian by about the middle of college. I think there's some higher power(s) out there, but I'm not fully committed I suppose. I voted yes, but some might consider me agnostic.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:
Parents and most of my family are Christian. I'm not fully sure what I believe, but I stopped considering myself a Christian by about the middle of college. I think there's some higher power(s) out there, but I'm not fully committed I suppose. I voted yes, but some might consider me agnostic.

The way most people... or at least most people within the non-theist community would define things, you can be a theist and agnostic, or an atheist and agnostic.

Basically...

Agnostic Theist-  Believes in a god, does not claim to know there is one.

Gnostic Theist-  Believes in and claims to know there is one.

Agnostic Atheist-  Does not believe there is a god, does not claim to know there that it does not exist.

Gnostic Atheist-   Claims to know that god does not exist.

Under this terminology (which I think is the clearest and best), you'd probably be labelled as an agnostic theist, depending on how you define higher power.  That's what I'd consider you at least, but of course, I'm not really the authority.  I think how you define yourself is more relevant.

For an object to reach its full potential, it needs another object. My arm can lift weights, but it needs a brain to send a signal through my nerves to tell my arm to lift. This principle applies for everything, so we couldn't come just from nothing. Therefore a creator does exist.