By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you believe in God? Why/Why not?

Do you believe in any god?

Yes 63 36.21%

No 111 63.79%

Total:174
JWeinCom said:
Snoopy said:

Okay, then explain to me where did everything come from at the very beginning.

As of now we don't know if there was a beginning in the sense we understand, because we don't understand how time worked in the early state of the universe, or as far back as we can see.  We don't know if there was a very beginning or if there were, where matter and energy might have come by at that point, and we don't know that matter or energy are not eternal since as far as we can tell neither can be created or destroyed.

The fact that we don't know though, doesn't mean any random solution becomes valid.  If you want to make a claim that you DO know, you have to show actual evidence, not just say "well you don't have a better explanation".

I got a good explanation and it is a proven one at that. God exists outside of this universe where our time, matter and space doesn't apply and we already proved it. Think about it, humans invented computers with intelligent AI, huge worlds when it comes to gaming and argubally social media and yet we are outside of the computer and not inside of it. 

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Paperboy_J said:
We had to have come from somewhere, no matter how you slice it. And since nothing can create itself (scientific fact), an eternal being is the only thing it could have been. Nothing else would make sense.

Then where did God come from? why does this logic apply to us and not to god? 

Check my answer.

Paperboy_J said:
What have I gotten myself into...

My simple response is I disagree with you. The whole idea of a "God" is that it's an eternal being. That's the definition. Whether or not you want to believe one actually exists is up to you, I just wish you guys would stop trying to mess with the definition.

You came to a nuclear war with a wet noodle. your 'logic' is hideously, hilariously, comically outclassed by others with far more intelligent stances and understanding. 

Your first post in this thread (the first one I saw) was so devoid of logic and far from reality I genuinely thought you were mocking the religious by showing how absurd 'faith' is. Then I continued to read your posts and realized that, no, you were sincere and just woefully underqualified to discuss religion and the lack of logic inherent in faith. 

You are allowed to believe what you want, but if you want to convince others of your stance, you're gonna have to try a whole lot harder than regurgitating the same old arguments people have seen for centuries and have long since debunked or devalued by applying logic and reason to them. If you want to come here and spout your nonsense, you'd best be willing and able to justify yourself. Otherwise, accept that your opinions are just opinions and not backed by any real logic or rationale. Faith is called faith for a reason: To believe something without proof. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Snoopy said:
Runa216 said:

Then where did God come from? why does this logic apply to us and not to god? 

Check my answer.

I did, and it's a terrible answer. furthermore, it doesn't change the fact that, if everything needs a creator, then why doesn't God? That is a clear example of moving the goalposts - a logical fallacy we shouldn't really be relying on. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
Snoopy said:

Check my answer.

I did, and it's a terrible answer. furthermore, it doesn't change the fact that, if everything needs a creator, then why doesn't God? That is a clear example of moving the goalposts - a logical fallacy we shouldn't really be relying on. 

Because God exists outside of our universe and doesn't have the same rule set as us.

Around the Network

n

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 21 April 2020

JWeinCom said:
Snoopy said:

I got a good explanation and it is a proven one at that. God exists outside of this universe where our time, matter and space doesn't apply and we already proved it. Think about it, humans invented computers with intelligent AI, huge worlds when it comes to gaming and argubally social media and yet we are outside of the computer and not inside of it. 

Ummmmmm... no we didn't prove it. You just kind of said you did, then talked about games.  Which we can interact with, although they also can interact with us.

The hypothesis that we could be in a simulation is completely unproven, and as far as I know unprovable.  Providing a possibility does not mean you proved it.  If I say we were jizzed out of a giant dick from outside our universe, that doesn't make it so.

How can we test the hypothesis that we are in a simulation, or that we were created by something outside of space and time? Is it even possible to exist outside of time?

SpokenTruth said:
Snoopy said:

That proves nothing.  That's just your presumption because you don't have a better explanation.

Also funny that you just stumbled upon Simulation Theory and didn't even realize it.  I'll start with a question and we'll go from there.

Question: How do you know we do not live in a computer simulation?

It isn't a simulation theory, it just an example of how something can be created like a computer and yet we aren't inside of it and don't necessary play by the same rules. Also, there is always an object outside of another object and we can test this with any other form of science and math. There has to be numbers outside of the number three. There has to be electrons outside of a nucleus.  The list goes on and on.

Last edited by Snoopy - on 21 April 2020

JWeinCom said:
JWeinCom said:

Ummmmmm... no we didn't prove it. You just kind of said you did, then talked about games.  Which we can interact with, although they also can interact with us.

The hypothesis that we could be in a simulation is completely unproven, and as far as I know unprovable.  Providing a possibility does not mean you proved it.  If I say we were jizzed out of a giant dick from outside our universe, that doesn't make it so.

How can we test the hypothesis that we are in a simulation, or that we were created by something outside of space and time? Is it even possible to exist outside of time?

I can change my computer's system clock to be July 4th, 2001 and I can change the physics of a video game to match whatever I want. 

Snoopy said:
SpokenTruth said:

That proves nothing.  That's just your presumption because you don't have a better explanation.

Also funny that you just stumbled upon Simulation Theory and didn't even realize it.  I'll start with a question and we'll go from there.

Question: How do you know we do not live in a computer simulation?

It isn't a simulation theory, it just an example of how something can be created like a computer, but we aren't inside of it and don't play by the same rules.

Well, that kind of is the simulation theory, but we don't need to quibble over terms.

But, I'll grant that for the sake of argument, your example is accurate.  How does this prove that our universe itself operates in the same way?  You've presented a possibility.  How do you prove it.