By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you believe in God? Why/Why not?

Do you believe in any god?

Yes 63 36.21%

No 111 63.79%

Total:174
Snoopy said:

For an object to reach its full potential, it needs another object. My arm can lift weights, but it needs a brain to send a signal through my nerves to tell my arm to lift. This principle applies for everything, so we couldn't come just from nothing. Therefore a creator does exist.

Uhhhhhh... what does objects reaching their full potential have to do with things being created?  

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Snoopy said:

For an object to reach its full potential, it needs another object. My arm can lift weights, but it needs a brain to send a signal through my nerves to tell my arm to lift. This principle applies for everything, so we couldn't come just from nothing. Therefore a creator does exist.

Uhhhhhh... what does objects reaching their full potential have to do with things being created?  

It means we can't come from nothing. Objects must exist and work coherently to create something as massive as the universe or life itself.

SpokenTruth said:
Snoopy said:

Just like your example...that was a reach.

Yes, because something coming from nothing makes perfect sense. This happens like all the time.

Snoopy said:
JWeinCom said:

It means we can't come from nothing. Objects must exist and work coherently to create something as massive as the universe or life itself.

Sure?  So if objects weren't interacting we wouldn't have complex systems.  I still don't see what this has to do with creation.

Snoopy said:
SpokenTruth said:

Just like your example...that was a reach.

Yes, because something coming from nothing makes perfect sense. This happens like all the time.

We have no confirmed cases of something coming from nothing.  We also have zero confirmed cases of something being created by a god.  As far as we're aware neither has ever happened, so the two theories are on equal footing in that regard.

SpokenTruth said:
Snoopy said:

Universe: You've never heard of the Big Bang before?

Life: You've never heard of evolution before?

Yes because the universe just existed and expanded out of nowhere for no reason and the first living organisms just came out of nowhere because why not. Even though we never apply these same principals to anything else. 

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Snoopy said:

Yes because the universe just existed and expanded out of nowhere for no reason and first living organisms just came out of nowhere because why not. Even though we never apply these same principals to anything else. 

Universe expanded out of nowhere?

Organisms came out of nowhere?

So you don't know about the Big Bang or evolution.

Okay, then explain to me where did everything come from at the very beginning.

Snoopy said:
SpokenTruth said:

Universe expanded out of nowhere?

Organisms came out of nowhere?

So you don't know about the Big Bang or evolution.

Okay, then explain to me where did everything come from at the very beginning.

As of now we don't know if there was a beginning in the sense we understand, because we don't understand how time worked in the early state of the universe, or as far back as we can see.  We don't know if there was a very beginning or if there were, where matter and energy might have come by at that point, and we don't know that matter or energy are not eternal since as far as we can tell neither can be created or destroyed.

The fact that we don't know though, doesn't mean any random solution becomes valid.  If you want to make a claim that you DO know, you have to show actual evidence, not just say "well you don't have a better explanation".

Paperboy_J said:
We had to have come from somewhere, no matter how you slice it. And since nothing can create itself (scientific fact), an eternal being is the only thing it could have been. Nothing else would make sense.

Then where did God come from? why does this logic apply to us and not to god? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Paperboy_J said:
Runa216 said:

So,your final argument on the matter is that you believe because you want to believe, not because there's any facts supporting your claim whatsoever. 

If everything science is God, but God simply represents what we don't or can't know, then accept that 'god' is a metaphor and nothing more. There's absolutely no reason to believe in a sentient, omniscient, omnipotent being except because you want to. Nothing in our observable universe leads towards the idea that it was guided by anyone or anything higher. but because chaos doesn't fit in your worldview, you HAVE to believe it. 

God may be a metaphor, but nothing more.

God may be a philosophical concept, but nothing more. 

'God' exist as an idea, but the idea that 'god' is an entity simply beyond our understanding is arrogant, devoid of logic, irrational, and borne of a psychological need for comfort, not out of rational, scientific conclusion. 

Of course there is, just look in the mirror.  Do you have any idea how complicated the human body is?

You don't really understand how evolution works, do you? Billions of years of evolution in a universe many billions of years old slowly, gradually made changes and mutations, allowing positive changes to propagate while killing off what didn't work. Yes, we are complicated beings, but that is built upon a virtual eternity of subtle tweaks and evolution.

This argument does not work as well as you think it does. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

vivster said:
I don't understand this "tiny chance" argument. The earth is in a totally random place in the universe, so why does it matter that it is where it is? Now if it actually was in the exact center of the universe or some other special place we can talk about it because that would be astounding. If this place the earth is in is so special then I'd really like someone to explain to me what's so special about this random place. And while we're at it explain why there are so many other plantes in our solar system and why not every planet has life. I mean what's the point in creating 1 octillion planets and putting life on supposedly only one?

I don't like when people who have no concept of "evidence" want to go all math on me.

interesting thoughts!! much better than mentioning unicorns :D

depends on whether life can exist in different conditions than earth's, imagine that even a slight increase of planet's temperature due to a 'hole' in the ozone can kick off a chain that in the end will make the planet uninhabitable, if there is life under different conditions it could also be made of very different elements in order to be sustainable, something we cannot even imagine

scientists have been using far reaching detectors in satellites but have yet to detect anything, but taking into account the number of planets and the universe size, it is very much possible

the tiny chance of life being a random accident makes perfect sense, cause if the universe never existed, then earth would not exist either, regardless of its position, therefore it is obviously part of the calculation

now imagine something else, say the universe exists, but absolutely no planet on it supports life....!! is there any point for the universe existing at all then? what's the point of endless silence and random rocks moving about each other?

the existence of the universe, let alone life on a planet is a miracle, and I also find it astonishing how genesis in the bible, scientifically proven and accepted to be written centuries B.C., starts with 'let there be light, and there was light' - perfectly compatible and a huge 'big bang' explosion that science cannot explain where it came from, then the bible says 'and then he separated the day from the night', meaning the result from earth's rotation about the sun that created day and night... truly fascinating!!

and of course it was revealed as simple as can be it to be understood by ancient people, you wouldn't expect them to understand about the universe and the forces that create orbits, the point of religion is never to teach science, the point here is creation

Last edited by dark_gh0st_b0y - on 21 April 2020

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^