By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 33) Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - August 13 - August 19, 2018

fedfed said:
in 2 weeks PS4 YTD should go below LYTD

Next week it should happen. Then the question is if last year's comparatively miserable Sep-Dec sales can be beaten or if this year will remain behind.

TheBraveGallade said:

A lot of 3rd party niche titles sell a majority in Japan, if Sony gets surpassed by ninty here while ninty keeps pace those titles will go to switch or at least multiplat, unlike the previous two gens.

Yes. The Switch is the logical successor to the Vita. So those third party niche titles can move to it.

Last edited by Megiddo - on 23 August 2018

Around the Network

Double post. Oops.

zorg1000 said:
Kerotan said:
Ps4 7m celebration baby. So many people doubted it would ever get there. 8m and 9m easy. Teaching 400k+ ahead of ps3 aligned and every week it will increase for a good while. It hit 10m and ps4 will too. Possibly 11m and beat the ps3. GG.

Did people really doubt 7 million?

Probably a few but let Kerotan have it, it is better he enjoys a self made achievement than having another long discussion with him about it.

If the VGchartz forum search had an option for more than 90 days it'd be fairly easy to see what people predicted for PS4's Japan total sales. Unfortunately it seems that this forum does not want its history to be preserved or at least scavenged through. First online forum I've encountered where it specifically limits how far back you can search. How strange.

zorg1000 said:
Kerotan said:
Ps4 7m celebration baby. So many people doubted it would ever get there. 8m and 9m easy. Teaching 400k+ ahead of ps3 aligned and every week it will increase for a good while. It hit 10m and ps4 will too. Possibly 11m and beat the ps3. GG.

Yes they were, but to be fair PS4s 1st year in Japan was absolutely terrible, if I recall PS4s road to first 1m was one of slowest ever, even Wii U had much better sales in same time period. So nothing strange because back than people doubt that PS4 will hit 7m in Japan.

PS4 needed almost hole year to hit 1st million in Japan, it needed around 46 weeks for 1st million while Wii U needed around 33 weeks for 1st million.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 23 August 2018

Around the Network

Switch HW sales very healthy and steady, Switch SW sales absolutely dominate.

konnichiwa said:
zorg1000 said:

Probably a few but let Kerotan have it, it is better he enjoys a self made achievement than having another long discussion with him about it.

Can't wait for the 7.5m, 8m and 9m celebrations which even more doubted. Let's not even get started on the 10m and selling more then ps3 milestones. I was one of very very few people who seen the sales potential it had back during its terrible first year start as miyamotoo just showed. 

Megiddo said:
fedfed said:
in 2 weeks PS4 YTD should go below LYTD

Next week it should happen. Then the question is if last year's comparatively miserable Sep-Dec sales can be beaten or if this year will remain behind.

Yes. The Switch is the logical successor to the Vita. So those third party niche titles can move to it.

I remember saying at this stage last year Sony should cut the price of the ps4 and ps4 Pro. Crazily 1 year later they still haven't. If they actually cut the price this holiday they have a chance. But if sales can get close to last year Sony might just say fuck it, we'll take the big profit margins and save the price cut until 2019.

Very good gains this week for PS4. Almost the same as Switch pure numbers wise but a much better percentage raise.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

OTBWY said:
Megiddo said:
Japan is a very minor market when compared to North America and Europe.

In terms of individual countries, Japan has a very large video game market, but it has been left behind in the dust when it comes to regional markets.

Of course Japan is very important. I'm not just saying that because Nintendo is doing very well there, but because Japan as a market is very important for directions/trends and overal culture these Japanese developers rely on. It is also no small market when you look at hardware and software sales to any other individual country with relative populations. A good example are the great sales of Monster Hunter World and Splatoon 2.

Japan = Games

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]