By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - UPDATED: Xbox to offer All Access

COKTOE said:
I'm too lazy to come up with specific parameters right now, but I'm willing to entertain offers for bets on the general premise that this venture will have, at best, a negligible impact on XBO console sales.

I agree, i don't see much changing this gen. I believe its more a trail/experimentation. I can see services like this being huge at the start of a generation, maybe Scarlet.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
COKTOE said:
I'm too lazy to come up with specific parameters right now, but I'm willing to entertain offers for bets on the general premise that this venture will have, at best, a negligible impact on XBO console sales.

I agree, i don't see much changing this gen. I believe its more a trail/experimentation. I can see services like this being huge at the start of a generation, maybe Scarlet.

That's certainly possible. I'm of the thought that people "want what they want", and will buy accordingly. Since consoles aren't especially big ticket items, I have doubts this plan will sway many people, now or with the next Xbox.  MS should be stronger in the exclusive games department when their next console launches, and will almost certainly have a smarter strategy overall. By then, it will be a bit more difficult to gauge how important a role All Access plays in the fortunes of the Scarlett.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
Azzanation said:

That's certainly possible. I'm of the thought that people "want what they want", and will buy accordingly. Since consoles aren't especially big ticket items, I have doubts this plan will sway many people, now or with the next Xbox.  MS should be stronger in the exclusive games department when their next console launches, and will almost certainly have a smarter strategy overall. By then, it will be a bit more difficult to gauge how important a role All Access plays in the fortunes of the Scarlett.

People do want what they want but not everyone has the upfront cost in the begin stage.  The model has worked well within the mobil market so I do not see why it would not be a success here.  For people who already made up their minds, they will just buy it outright.  For people who like a lower entry to get the latest console this will work great.  Having a system with plenty of games to play right off the bat will always be a good selling point.  

As for this generation, its over.  Sony won by a landslide and nothing MS does will change the results.  Its best to flesh out all the kinks with the subscription service now so the model will be complete come next gen.

Machiavellian said:

People do want what they want but not everyone has the upfront cost in the begin stage.  The model has worked well within the mobil market so I do not see why it would not be a success here.  For people who already made up their minds, they will just buy it outright.  For people who like a lower entry to get the latest console this will work great.  Having a system with plenty of games to play right off the bat will always be a good selling point.  

As for this generation, its over.  Sony won by a landslide and nothing MS does will change the results.  Its best to flesh out all the kinks with the subscription service now so the model will be complete come next gen.

Thats exactly right, i always felt the X1 was an experiment/beta for there new Azure Cloud network. Hence all the DRM, Cloud power, Always Online, Digital and there focus on online games and multiplayer.

I see the Scarlet being what the X1 should have been now that the industry is heading towards the Streaming and digital frontier. 

The generation was over years ago in terms of the sales race, however squeezing more juice out of the lemons is a common business practice. 

I can see a financial business model with these new deals. Works for phones, i honestly cannot see it not working for consoles.

Azzanation said:
Machiavellian said:

Thats exactly right, i always felt the X1 was an experiment/beta for there new Azure Cloud network. Hence all the DRM, Cloud power, Always Online, Digital and there focus on online games and multiplayer.

I see the Scarlet being what the X1 should have been now that the industry is heading towards the Streaming and digital frontier. 

The generation was over years ago in terms of the sales race, however squeezing more juice out of the lemons is a common business practice. 

I can see a financial business model with these new deals. Works for phones, i honestly cannot see it not working for consoles.

I really see this being a success is for the parents.  Its one thing to drop 500 bones for a new console for your kid but 22 to 30 something a month is palatable.  It also works for the working teen as well.  I hope they give you a buy out option which is not to prohibitive and the service would be complete.