By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Citing Lackluster Sales, Dishonored Franchise Is Being Shelved

think-man said:
It's a sad day when 2.5 million sold games is considered bad :/

Well, going by what Fifa makes alone with it's MT's, it's no surprise that even Bethesda are dabbling a bit more with MP based games now than SP. Sure they have Wolf and DOOM, as well as RAGE 2, with an eventual ES, Fallout and Starfield, I honestly think they are wanting to work more with MP based games to increase their profits, especially since EA and Activision seem to rake in their own share a shorter period of time.

SP games still make money for sure, just not as much and as fast as MP based games do, or games with MT's slapped on them. (Fornite has made over a billion already, which just points to EA's "where's your billion dollar franchise?").

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
vivster said:
Good for them. Now they can do something new and exciting!

Basically how I feel about it.... hopefully a new RPG?

"Devs want to work on new properties incorporating 'seamless multiplayer' and 'environmental storytelling'"

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Got it cheap, played a few hours and got bored. Never touched the 2nd game.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
Got it cheap, played a few hours and got bored. Never touched the 2nd game.

I played half of the first game, but avoided the second since the PC port was terrible. 

Yup, unfortunately the truth is, games can have decent sales figures and still flop because 1m sales in the 1990s is not the same as 1m sales in 2000s. Its all about the games budget. AAA games cost a small fortune to make these days.
Shame for Dishonored, it was a good new IP in the industry.

Around the Network

I stopped playing Dishonored because the trophies were glitched and I was having none of that. Also the game didn't feel suited to first person, would have enjoyed it more in TPP.

These games like BioShock, Dishnored and Prey should have TPP as option. It would make the games more fun to play for me, as I acknowledge the fantastic design and gameplay.

HoloDust said:
COKTOE said:
Well, that sucks. I really don't like Bethesda, so I decided a decade ago to never buy anything that had their name on it, even if they weren't the dev. I got Dishonored as a PS+ game, and played it last summer. Loved it. So much, I plat'd it and bought 2 of the 3 DLCs. Shortly after, I bought Dishonored 2, and plan to but it's DLC as well. It brought me around on at least buying games Bethesda merely publishes.

Arkane were good devs from the get go - Arx Fatalis is quite loved in CRPG community and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was really fun game. I don't think that Bethesda put many creative constrains when they acquired them, though I personally don't find any of titles under Bethesda to be as good as when they were independent.

I looked up their body of work and it's smaller than I expected, which explains why I'm not familiar with them beyond Dishonored. They contributed to Call Of Duty: World At War ( my fav COD game ) and Bioshock 2, which I also enjoyed, but they've only made 5 full sized games, plus the dlc's for Dishonored 1 and 2. Dishonored came out in 2012 on last gen platforms, but it was probably my personal 2017 GOTY.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I felt like Dishonored was lacking something, which is strange because it was packed with content and play styles. Maybe devs tried too hard to make it original and it bit them in the a$$, for example all people were ugly as uck. Some objects looked like straight taken from Half-Life 2, like the metal walls, the rail vehicles and the long legged enemies, which destroyed believability in that game world (I know it was because main visuals designer was from Valve). Also the sequel felt uninspired to me, I quit it halfway.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Disappointing but not unexpected, mainly as it's unclear where the narrative can go from here. I thought they may have done another expansion pack which could have done Dishonored 2 carrying on from the High Chaos ending of Dishonored (I liked the tagline 'Empress of High Chaos) but guess it's not to be.

Also why I did enjoy the game, it didn't have quite the same magic to it as the original, as I felt even level was just arbitrarily focusing on 1 assassination target, whereas the original was a bit less rigid in that sort of plotline structure.