By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Citing Lackluster Sales, Dishonored Franchise Is Being Shelved

Now let Arkane Studios make Arx 2

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
It's a crying shame is what it is. One of the best new series in the last 10 years imo. Sadly it's partly to blame on the devs, Death of the Outsider was a mistake, people loved the Outsider, they didn't want to see the end of his story so soon into the franchise.

I just bought the first Dishonored during the Quakecon Bethesda sale (along with Prey, Evil Within, Fallout 4 & Wolfenstein). I haven't played it yet but only heard good things about the series so it's a shame that's it's going on hiatus so soon.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I believe Prey underperformed for Arkane as well so I'm curious if that series will go back into hibernation again, kinda sucks that both their recent franchises didn't do so hot.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
pokoko said:

Puts things in perspective?  What do you mean, exactly?

I think he means that if a game isn't profitable at 2.5 million than it has too big of a budget.

But on the other hand, this doesn't say the game didn't make a profit, just that sales were lackluster and down significantly from the first. It's entirely possible that the game was profitable, just not nearly as much as they hoped for.

He might have meant that but his example didn't put anything in perspective at all.  For one, a third-party game is always going to have more overhead than a first-party game.  More importantly, no one is in business to "match production costs".  I often come across posts where people act like breaking even is a success.  It's not.  In business, breaking even is essentially the same as a loss.  Even a moderate profit can be viewed as a loss in the big picture.  

think-man said:
It's a sad day when 2.5 million sold games is considered bad :/

I highly doubt the average buying price was anywhere near 60 which is a big factor. 

Around the Network

Well, that sucks. I really don't like Bethesda, so I decided a decade ago to never buy anything that had their name on it, even if they weren't the dev. I got Dishonored as a PS+ game, and played it last summer. Loved it. So much, I plat'd it and bought 2 of the 3 DLCs. Shortly after, I bought Dishonored 2, and plan to but it's DLC as well. It brought me around on at least buying games Bethesda merely publishes.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
Well, that sucks. I really don't like Bethesda, so I decided a decade ago to never buy anything that had their name on it, even if they weren't the dev. I got Dishonored as a PS+ game, and played it last summer. Loved it. So much, I plat'd it and bought 2 of the 3 DLCs. Shortly after, I bought Dishonored 2, and plan to but it's DLC as well. It brought me around on at least buying games Bethesda merely publishes.

Arkane were good devs from the get go - Arx Fatalis is quite loved in CRPG community and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was really fun game. I don't think that Bethesda put many creative constrains when they acquired them, though I personally don't find any of titles under Bethesda to be as good as when they were independent.

zorg1000 said:
I believe Prey underperformed for Arkane as well so I'm curious if that series will go back into hibernation again, kinda sucks that both their recent franchises didn't do so hot.

Yeah, I don't believe Prey sold well at all. But in regards to Prey's lackluster sales - Bethesda is solely to blame for that as it had next to no advertising and very little hype build up. When ever it appeared at gaming conventions, it was always put on the back burner it terms of product awareness...

What bizarre budget did they have to the point that 2.5m sales is considered bad?

Wyrdness said:
What bizarre budget did they have to the point that 2.5m sales is considered bad?

Well, back when Tomb Raider launched in 2013 and sold 3 Million copies - Square Enix made a statement saying that it underperformed in sales. Video games are more expensive than people think. The average cost of a video game is $25 Million, and that's not including advertising. Landmark AAA games like Grand Theft Auto and Fallout, for example, cost upwards of $100 Million...