By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Citing Lackluster Sales, Dishonored Franchise Is Being Shelved

Its not Fallout or ElderScrolls..... thats the problem lol.
Just stick to the RPGs Bethesda :P

Around the Network
KrspaceT said:
think-man said:
It's a sad day when 2.5 million sold games is considered bad :/

I am fairly certain that that's .5 million more than Breath of the Wild needed to match its production cost.

Puts some things into perspective, doesn't it?

Puts things in perspective?  What do you mean, exactly?

vivster said:
Good for them. Now they can do something new and exciting!

Basically how I feel about it.... hopefully a new RPG?

pokoko said:
KrspaceT said:

I am fairly certain that that's .5 million more than Breath of the Wild needed to match its production cost.

Puts some things into perspective, doesn't it?

I think he means that if a game isn't profitable at 2.5 million than it has too big of a budget.

But on the other hand, this doesn't say the game didn't make a profit, just that sales were lackluster and down significantly from the first. It's entirely possible that the game was profitable, just not nearly as much as they hoped for.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

JRPGfan said:
vivster said:
Good for them. Now they can do something new and exciting!

Basically how I feel about it.... hopefully a new RPG?

How about an old RPG? Let's say Arx Fatalis 2...first one, from 15+ years ago, being, in my opinion, probably their best game.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Its not Fallout or ElderScrolls..... thats the problem lol.
Just stick to the RPGs Bethesda :P

Well this isn't actually developed by Bethesda Game Studios (developer behind Fallout/Elder Scrolls), it's by Arkane Studios, one of Bethesda Softworks subsidiaries.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

A damn shame. The series was incredible. Every little thing had a story to it.

Mind you, the community that it did have - especially on Reddit and Youtube - was rotten to the core with elitists and toxicity. Looks like this was always going to happen.

shikamaru317 said:
It's a crying shame is what it is. One of the best new series in the last 10 years imo. Sadly it's partly to blame on the devs, Death of the Outsider was a mistake, people loved the Outsider, they didn't want to see the end of his story so soon into the franchise.

I just bought the first Dishonored during the Quakecon Bethesda sale (along with Prey, Evil Within, Fallout 4 & Wolfenstein). I haven't played it yet but only heard good things about the series so it's a shame that's it's going on hiatus so soon.

I believe Prey underperformed for Arkane as well so I'm curious if that series will go back into hibernation again, kinda sucks that both their recent franchises didn't do so hot.

zorg1000 said:
pokoko said:

I think he means that if a game isn't profitable at 2.5 million than it has too big of a budget.

But on the other hand, this doesn't say the game didn't make a profit, just that sales were lackluster and down significantly from the first. It's entirely possible that the game was profitable, just not nearly as much as they hoped for.

He might have meant that but his example didn't put anything in perspective at all.  For one, a third-party game is always going to have more overhead than a first-party game.  More importantly, no one is in business to "match production costs".  I often come across posts where people act like breaking even is a success.  It's not.  In business, breaking even is essentially the same as a loss.  Even a moderate profit can be viewed as a loss in the big picture.