By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2018: The New England Patriots win Super Bowl LIII

Who Will Win Super Bowl LIII?

Saints 5 21.74%

Chiefs 2 8.70%

Rams 3 13.04%

Patriots 9 39.13%

Cowboys 2 8.70%

Chargers 1 4.35%

Eagles 1 4.35%

Colts 0 0%

Total:23
PHI@NYG 1 TB@ATL 2 LAC@CLE 2 IND@NYJ 2
SEA@OAK 1 CAR@WAS 1 BUF@HOU 2 ARI@MIN 2
PIT@CIN 2 CHI@MIA 1 LAR@DEN 1 BAL@TEN 2
JAX@DAL 1 KC@NE 2 SF@GB 2 by 10 BYE: DET, NO

Around the Network

Surprised to see some of you pick the Titans to win after last weeks shitshow. I'm still fuming about that. I just hope these roster changes and cutting Nick Williams sorry ass lights a fire under the team. They need beat the Ravens down convincingly.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

PHI@NYG 1 TB@ATL 1 LAC@CLE 2 IND@NYJ 1
SEA@OAK 1 CAR@WAS 1 BUF@HOU 2 ARI@MIN 2
PIT@CIN 2 CHI@MIA 1 LAR@DEN 1 BAL@TEN 1
JAX@DAL 1 KC@NE 2 SF@GB 2 by 7 BYE: DET, NO

KC or NE will be interesting.

alternine said:
Surprised to see some of you pick the Titans to win after last weeks shitshow. I'm still fuming about that. I just hope these roster changes and cutting Nick Williams sorry ass lights a fire under the team. They need beat the Ravens down convincingly.

Both teams were absolute dumpster fires last week. I'm just picking the home team.

RolStoppable said:
Checked the result of PHI@NYG and it was a close game by Giants standards.

Now for something that isn't bordering on irrelevance: Aaron Rodgers apparently had a setback with his knee injury in the game against the Lions. No doubt that he will play on Monday. I just hope the ensuing bye week will put an end to this knee sprain affair.

The Giants are honestly one of the most confusing teams out there. They've got a ton of Pro Bowl level talent (Odell, Saquon, Sterling, Engram, etc.), but that's juxtaposed by having some of the league's absolute worst players at other spots, most notably offensive line. I don't think they're particularly pressed for cap space either. If they just go out and acquire even some middling quality O Linemen in trades or free agency this offseason, I think they'd be...well...not terrible. Eli's probably over the hill but he really isn't being helped by being under near constant pressure.

RolStoppable said:
MTZehvor said: 

The Giants are honestly one of the most confusing teams out there. They've got a ton of Pro Bowl level talent (Odell, Saquon, Sterling, Engram, etc.), but that's juxtaposed by having some of the league's absolute worst players at other spots, most notably offensive line. I don't think they're particularly pressed for cap space either. If they just go out and acquire even some middling quality O Linemen in trades or free agency this offseason, I think they'd be...well...not terrible. Eli's probably over the hill but he really isn't being helped by being under near constant pressure.

That's reverse racism. Well... not really, but I can't pull the correct term from my mind right now. The point is that you are saying disturbingly nice things about the Giants because you don't want to come across as a hater.

Not at all, my post is more of an indictment of the fucking terrible job the Giants' front office has done at filling out a roster, and, more to the point, planning. On one hand, it seems like they're trying to win now. They passed on drafting a QB despite a very solid draft class and knowing full well that next year's class is scarce on QB talent after Justin Herbert. Instead of moving towards life without Eli Manning, they doubled down on him by drafting a RB and picking up mostly aging talent elsewhere on offense (Nate Solder, Jonathan Stewart, etc.).

On the other hand, if they really wanted to win now, they would go out and try to field an at least halfway competent offensive line. All they did in that respect was sign Solder and leave the rest of the line in shambles. They've also largely filled out their defense (particularly the secondary) with young players (Eli Apple, Damon Harrison, Janoris Jenkins). All of this is fine if you're just trying to stockpile cheap, young talent and hope to be good in a couple of years, but when you've built your team around an aging QB that realistically has maybe 2-3 more years at most, it's just handicapping yourself from the get go. It's like the Giants' front office has no idea what it actually wants to do and keeps making decisions that counteract itself.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
MTZehvor said:

Not at all, my post is more of an indictment of the fucking terrible job the Giants' front office has done at filling out a roster, and, more to the point, planning. On one hand, it seems like they're trying to win now. They passed on drafting a QB despite a very solid draft class and knowing full well that next year's class is scarce on QB talent after Justin Herbert. Instead of moving towards life without Eli Manning, they doubled down on him by drafting a RB and picking up mostly aging talent elsewhere on offense (Nate Solder, Jonathan Stewart, etc.).

On the other hand, if they really wanted to win now, they would go out and try to field an at least halfway competent offensive line. All they did in that respect was sign Solder and leave the rest of the line in shambles. They've also largely filled out their defense (particularly the secondary) with young players (Eli Apple, Damon Harrison, Janoris Jenkins). All of this is fine if you're just trying to stockpile cheap, young talent and hope to be good in a couple of years, but when you've built your team around an aging QB that realistically has maybe 2-3 more years at most, it's just handicapping yourself from the get go. It's like the Giants' front office has no idea what it actually wants to do and keeps making decisions that counteract itself.

When a team is as garbage as the Giants and you refer to them as "confusing", then that's a clear case of sugarcoating a situation that basically necessitates that somebody cleans the house of the franchise. You are more honest in your most recent post.

The poll you set up is similar to your initial comments about the Giants. You ask if Eli is past his prime instead of the more logical question if he should still be a starter in the NFL, because it's obvious that Eli is way past his prime.

Is it? Even with the absolutely terrible offensive line he's had to put up with, he's still posted a 69% completion percentage, a 90.9 passer rating, and is throwing for 277 Y/G. None of those are mindblowing stats, but they're far from being way over the hill, and those numbers themselves would probably be improved if he had some protection to work with. 

My point isn't that the Giants' situation necessitates cleaning house; my point is that the front office has tried to have its cake and eat it too by acquiring players that would seem to suggest a win now mentality at some positions, while at a myriad of others getting younger/bargain players that would suggest a rebuild. They're caught between trying to win immediately and win in the future, and the result is a team that will do neither.

Also I feel the need to mention that my poll didn't ask if Eli was past his prime, as I'm pretty sure nearly everyone thinks he is. The question I posed was "is he done?" which is more in line with what you're asking. Admittedly I probably should've found some better flavor text for the "yes" answer than putting an obvious response in, but I'm more curious as to whether people think he's done or not.

Last edited by MTZehvor - on 12 October 2018

MTZehvor said:
RolStoppable said:

When a team is as garbage as the Giants and you refer to them as "confusing", then that's a clear case of sugarcoating a situation that basically necessitates that somebody cleans the house of the franchise. You are more honest in your most recent post.

The poll you set up is similar to your initial comments about the Giants. You ask if Eli is past his prime instead of the more logical question if he should still be a starter in the NFL, because it's obvious that Eli is way past his prime.

Is it? Even with the absolutely terrible offensive line he's had to put up with, he's still posted a 69% completion percentage, a 90.9 passer rating, and is throwing for 277 Y/G. None of those are mindblowing stats, but they're far from being way over the hill, and those numbers themselves would probably be improved if he had some protection to work with. 

My point isn't that the Giants' situation necessitates cleaning house; my point is that the front office has tried to have its cake and eat it too by acquiring players that would seem to suggest a win now mentality at some positions, while at a myriad of others getting younger/bargain players that would suggest a rebuild. They're caught between trying to win immediately and win in the future, and the result is a team that will do neither.

Also I feel the need to mention that my poll didn't ask if Eli was past his prime, as I'm pretty sure nearly everyone thinks he is. The question I posed was "is he done?" which is more in line with what you're asking. Admittedly I probably should've found some better flavor text for the "yes" answer than putting an obvious response in, but I'm more curious as to whether people think he's done or not.

Not exactly hard to have a high completion percentage when every single pass you throw is like 2-5 yards to a guy right in front of you. The truth is, his passes - even at that short range, and certainly longer ones - don't pass the eye test. There's no zip on those balls, and that's not even getting into how inaccurate they are...with little screen passes requiring Odell to frantically reach behind his head to make a one handed catch. Eli is done. If it were up to him, they'd probably snap the ball straight to Barkley on every play.

PHI@NYG 2 TB@ATL 2
LAC@CLE 1 IND@NYJ 2
SEA@OAK 1 CAR@WAS 1
BUF@HOU 2
ARI@MIN 2
PIT@CIN 2
CHI@MIA 1
LAR@DEN 1
BAL@TEN 1
JAX@DAL 1
KC@NE 1 SF@GB GB by 20
BYE: DET, NO