By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games Can Beat Depression & Anxiety

Veknoid_Outcast said:
JWeinCom said:
As someone who has struggled with depressions and played a lot of games, I wonder if gaming has overall been a help or a hindrance. I know that's not exactly the focus of the video, but it's something I've wondered for a while.

I appreciate that. I'm prone to depression, and suffered some really bad lows in 2016. Gaming has helped stabilize me, but, like you, I wonder how much of it is a cure and how much an opiate.

Hope things are looking up for you :)

Yeah.  It definitely makes me feel better at times, but if I didn't have it, would I be looking for better ways to go about that?

I'm ok right now though.  Thanks for the concern.  Hope you're well too.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
TheGamer_1995 said:

About how Games can help coping with depression and anxiety 

It depends on who you are, but a lot of people have gotten through depression and anxiety by playing video 

That’s what I was saying. As a matter of fact Video Games are making feel better right now in a otherwise sea of emptiness.

CaptainExplosion said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

What happened to you man, when was the moment you decided you wanted to be the edgelord of vgchartz?

I don't know, but it's very disrespectful towards the narrator AND the patience who had successful treatment through video games.

Games do NOT treat depression. It can help mask symptoms at best.

Hm, I feel like it'd be the opposite.

They surely helped me a lot. 

Around the Network

If i am depress i am stop playing games and watch funny comedy shows instead or watch anime, read manga and listening to music . I am playing games if i am exited not when i am depress . Having a friend also help, and having family also help or even having Faith in religion is far far much better in depression situation.

There is some games that great to accompanied us when having a depression but i forgot , the games that great to cure depression should not be a sad story games or hard games to play and need more of comedy games like probably The Simpson games , south park and music beat games or dancing games.

I can only go off of my personal experience, but during my senior year of high school when depression and anxiety were hitting me hard, playing a video game I loved or listening to commentary and Let's Play channels about games I loved, and the hilarious shenanigans that followed were the things that put a smile on my face and ultimately played a role in keeping myself for sinking even further and eventually overcoming it at the time. During that time, I just through myself into Sonic games, played a lot of Mario Galaxy, and that was when I started to get into Zelda as well.

Didn't see to help my friend unfortunatelly.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Everything that interacts with the human brain can help against depression. Using games to treat psychological conditions is nothing new.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

contestgamer said:
CaptainExplosion said:

There you go again, talking like there's no hope for these people. Why do you keep bashing something that they find comforting in dark times?

What are you talking about? There is hope - that hope is getting proper TREATMENT. CBT therapy, pharmaceutical therapy, etc. That's actual hope. You cant Chrono Trigger your way out of depression.

Offcourse ,he never said people should not seek proper treatment.

And on top of that, gaming can help people to stop thinking about the things that makes them depressed for a while so yeah do you at least agree that gaming can help ?

When gaming relieves stress it can btw be seen as therapy,like reading a book and sport just realize that you dont solve depression by making a meeting with a doctor because that's only the first step and the whole package of getting rid of depression can include relaxing with gaming.